Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months out... and what I've learned

I had my surgery March 28th. I went yesterday to have my 6 months post-op lab draws, this will be the first lab results post-op. Guess what? The padded arm that swings down on the "lab chair" actually swung down and I had a good 3 inches between it and my body. You guys know what I'm talking about!! :)

Me: To the left, you can see my stats and at the bottom you can see my ticker. I am pleased with my progress and having been overweight for so long if my weight loss stopped today I would still be happy. I haven't been this size in 20yrs!!

In the beginning, I had most of the questions I see posted protein/water how in the hell can you get all that in? To be honest, I didn't! I tried my best and kept Water by my side constantly, I forced water and Protein so much I actually got sick a couple of times before I acquiesced that my best was going to have to be good enough! No carbs, no added sugar and every bite I took contained protein. The first week was rough, the second week a little better by month 2 I kind of had a handle on my routine and things fell into place.

Hair: Month 3 my hair started coming out. Insert those frequently heard comments about "protein and water...". Yes, I know, but I could not, in the beginning, make myself physically ill to reach that goal. I have always had A LOT of hair, not thick strands just a lot. This part is shocking and you truly think you're going to be bald or better yet have bald spots all over the place. I tried not washing my hair as often (every 2-3 days if I was hanging at the house), Tried thinning hair shampoos, co-wash Shampoo you name it, nothing worked. Just these past two weeks it has slowed considerably! Could be though I have considerably less hair, no bald spots but as the day goes on and your hair naturally loses it's "Oomph" you can see my scalp more readily. I work in healthcare so I have to keep my hair up (I've never looked good with short hair so I still have it long) and yoga headbands cover up the sparse areas up front nicely.

Skin: My highest weight ever was 370 before I lost 93lbs on my own with the help of the DASH diet and exercise. The reason I investigated WLS was after 18months I started re-gaining and once I hit 40lbs up I tried some of the old tricks and none worked. Well, those years of being overweight have done a number on my skin. I exercise weight training 3x's a week and walk 2miles a day at a good clip 2 days a week. I don't exercise 7 days a week because I work 3/12hr night shifts a week. My neck has a wobble that can be hidden with the right head position for selfies and the like. I carry most of my weight in my stomach/middle section so the true flabbiness of that area is yet to be seen. My boobs flat pancakes, my arms have a little of the jiggle and my inner thighs have loose skin as well. Keep in mind I am 44 and never had the best skin genetics, to begin with. I can get a superficial scratch and it will turn into a tan scar that lasts for years... :(

Tools: Things I have discovered through trial and error! I know after surgery a lot of people have very specific temperatures for their liquids. Mine is ice cold!! Seeing that I work night shift in a hospital and I am not stationary to one particular unit I needed something portable. I tried so many options! Then I found my Hydro Flask!!! Best money I've spent to stay hydrated on the go. Mine initially came with a plug type screw cap which did not make it very convenient then I discovered the sport cap with a pull-up spout. Keeps ice for 12hrs and me hydrated all night long. It is a permanent fixture wherever I go even if I'm out shopping. The food scale is something I used at the beginning and it is a must I purchased a cheapy through Amazon. I bought a Ninja Bullet and it works well, used it twice and never used it again. I'm not a smoothie girl and protein powders are not my friend. The only Protein powder I use on occasion is GENEPRO. The most expensive is my refrigerator, I had an oldie with limited storage space so I took the plunge and bought a fridge with a filtered water/crushed ice dispenser. It's been a win/win we use way less plastic water bottles and my husband even drinks more water than ever before.

Food: I read food labels constantly, it's a must! I can't do the high Protein Bars, but I can enjoy a Kind bar for Breakfast when I hit the ground running in the mornings. I only choose the ones with protein and low carb usually the "nut and spice" line. I do have a few Snacks I enjoy like Somersaults sunflower/sesame seed bites have 6gms of protein per serving, My husband and I split a honey crisp apple with Peanut Butter and it's my fave at the moment. Just read those labels and I try my best not to consume anything that doesn't have protein in it or on it. I have on occasion, but I don't go crazy that's for sure! I've been perplexed at the range of dietary suggestions given to each of us from our Bariatric teams. If all of these places are "Bariatric Centers of Excellence" you would think there would be more uniformity in the foods allowed and how often we should be eating a day. My plan is a 3 meal a day no snack plan and I can't do that. I'm smart about it, but I do have snacks. And yes I do eat out on occasion. It's hardly ever fast food unless it's someplace I can get a bowl of Chili. I make smart protein filled choices, bring the rest home.

Stalls: I started having little stalls in August. I weigh daily another "no-no" but it keeps me motivated. I went almost two weeks the first time before the scale budged. The odd thing is that while the scale didn't move I could physically tell by clothing and just a sense of self that I was still losing something from somewhere. Those two weeks I had more people comment about my weight loss than ever before. When the stall broke I lost 6lbs in 4 days and didn't change a thing. I still seem to lose slowly then stop for a week then lose 5+ lbs in less than a week. I think like others have said, your body has to catch up to what the hell is going on.

Me today I am down 89lbs, in size 18 jeans (use to be 26/28 pre-op), 2x t-shirts (I like mine comfortably loose and use to be 4x/5x). I don't have any qualms about sitting in booths at a restaurant and will not have any issues flying to visit my parents in 2wks. I wanted to share some of my experiences and tips because I know I felt a failure at first and scared about what the future would hold. I have realistic expectations for myself and end result. I know I will probably reach my ultimate weight loss goal and loose some more or maybe even gain a little back. "They" always say food is a control issue for overweight people since they feel they can't control anything else. I say bullshit! I control everything in my life and food was the one thing I didn't have to think about, that's why I made it all the way to 370lbs. Be smart about your choices, find what works for you within those smart choices and soldier on.

Edited by doppelganger

fantastic status report! Congrats on doing so well.

It all sounds familiar to me, been through all stages. Good luck!

. "They" always say food is a control issue for overweight people since they feel they can't control anything else

I've heard that many times from anorexics, but never from or about overweight people. What I have heard from many overweight folks is that they are "large-boned." Largely bone-headed, methinks.

Anyway, the main thing is that you're doing beautifully well in terms of weight and attitude.

. "They" always say food is a control issue for overweight people since they feel they can't control anything else

I've heard that many times from anorexics, but never from or about overweight people. What I have heard from many overweight folks is that they are "large-boned." Largely bone-headed, methinks.

Anyway, the main thing is that you're doing beautifully well in terms of weight and attitude.

While i dont accept "large boned" as an excuse for being overweight, i do think it actually exists.

My mom is 5'5 and her wrist is 5.5in. Whether she was 165 or 275.

My sister is 5'2 and her wrist is 6.5in. Her weight has been between 135 and 220.

My grandmother is 5'0 (maybe less now that she is 82) and her wrist is 6.5in.

I am 5'10 and my wrist is 7.25in. Its bven that size at 275 and at 385 (cw)

My brother is 5'11, 175lbs and wrist is 7.5in.

We are all genetically related but have very different weights, heights and measurements. That leads me to believe that skeletal frame size can vary, otherwise our ratios would be a lot more similar.

Wow! Thank you so much for your post! I agree with you! We have to find what is good for us and what is working for us may not work for others. I also found through these posts that all surgeons give different suggestions as to what to eat during each stage. I love to hear everyone's ideas and suggestions. Thank you for your post! Just loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well done !!!!!!!!

Doppleganger........what a cool name for a wls patient.

Keep on plowing ahead !!!!!!!!!!!!

Are your family's constant wrist sizes a genetic trait? I can't say I've ever heard of wrists remaining [comparatively] fat-free when all other parts aren't.

Of course large bones exist, but most aren't.

I still say you've done splendidly. Adieu.

I had my surgery March 28th. I went yesterday to have my 6 months post-op lab draws, this will be the first lab results post-op. Guess what? The padded arm that swings down on the "lab chair" actually swung down and I had a good 3 inches between it and my body. You guys know what I'm talking about!! :)

Me: To the left, you can see my stats and at the bottom you can see my ticker. I am pleased with my progress and having been overweight for so long if my weight loss stopped today I would still be happy. I haven't been this size in 20yrs!!

In the beginning, I had most of the questions I see posted protein/water how in the hell can you get all that in? To be honest, I didn't! I tried my best and kept Water by my side constantly, I forced Water and Protein so much I actually got sick a couple of times before I acquiesced that my best was going to have to be good enough! No carbs, no added sugar and every bite I took contained Protein. The first week was rough, the second week a little better by month 2 I kind of had a handle on my routine and things fell into place.

Hair: Month 3 my hair started coming out. Insert those frequently heard comments about "protein and water...". Yes, I know, but I could not, in the beginning, make myself physically ill to reach that goal. I have always had A LOT of hair, not thick strands just a lot. This part is shocking and you truly think you're going to be bald or better yet have bald spots all over the place. I tried not washing my hair as often (every 2-3 days if I was hanging at the house), Tried thinning hair shampoos, co-wash Shampoo you name it, nothing worked. Just these past two weeks it has slowed considerably! Could be though I have considerably less hair, no bald spots but as the day goes on and your hair naturally loses it's "Oomph" you can see my scalp more readily. I work in healthcare so I have to keep my hair up (I've never looked good with short hair so I still have it long) and yoga headbands cover up the sparse areas up front nicely.

Skin: My highest weight ever was 370 before I lost 93lbs on my own with the help of the DASH diet and exercise. The reason I investigated WLS was after 18months I started re-gaining and once I hit 40lbs up I tried some of the old tricks and none worked. Well, those years of being overweight have done a number on my skin. I exercise weight training 3x's a week and walk 2miles a day at a good clip 2 days a week. I don't exercise 7 days a week because I work 3/12hr night shifts a week. My neck has a wobble that can be hidden with the right head position for selfies and the like. I carry most of my weight in my stomach/middle section so the true flabbiness of that area is yet to be seen. My boobs flat pancakes, my arms have a little of the jiggle and my inner thighs have loose skin as well. Keep in mind I am 44 and never had the best skin genetics, to begin with. I can get a superficial scratch and it will turn into a tan scar that lasts for years... :(

Tools: Things I have discovered through trial and error! I know after surgery a lot of people have very specific temperatures for their liquids. Mine is ice cold!! Seeing that I work night shift in a hospital and I am not stationary to one particular unit I needed something portable. I tried so many options! Then I found my Hydro Flask!!! Best money I've spent to stay hydrated on the go. Mine initially came with a plug type screw cap which did not make it very convenient then I discovered the sport cap with a pull-up spout. Keeps ice for 12hrs and me hydrated all night long. It is a permanent fixture wherever I go even if I'm out shopping. The food scale is something I used at the beginning and it is a must I purchased a cheapy through Amazon. I bought a Ninja Bullet and it works well, used it twice and never used it again. I'm not a smoothie girl and protein powders are not my friend. The only Protein powder I use on occasion is GENEPRO. The most expensive is my refrigerator, I had an oldie with limited storage space so I took the plunge and bought a fridge with a filtered water/crushed ice dispenser. It's been a win/win we use way less plastic water bottles and my husband even drinks more water than ever before.

Food: I read food labels constantly, it's a must! I can't do the high Protein Bars, but I can enjoy a Kind bar for breakfast when I hit the ground running in the mornings. I only choose the ones with protein and low carb usually the "nut and spice" line. I do have a few Snacks I enjoy like Somersaults sunflower/sesame seed bites have 6gms of protein per serving, My husband and I split a honey crisp apple with Peanut Butter and it's my fave at the moment. Just read those labels and I try my best not to consume anything that doesn't have protein in it or on it. I have on occasion, but I don't go crazy that's for sure! I've been perplexed at the range of dietary suggestions given to each of us from our Bariatric teams. If all of these places are "Bariatric Centers of Excellence" you would think there would be more uniformity in the foods allowed and how often we should be eating a day. My plan is a 3 meal a day no snack plan and I can't do that. I'm smart about it, but I do have Snacks. And yes I do eat out on occasion. It's hardly ever fast food unless it's someplace I can get a bowl of Chili. I make smart protein filled choices, bring the rest home.

Stalls: I started having little stalls in August. I weigh daily another "no-no" but it keeps me motivated. I went almost two weeks the first time before the scale budged. The odd thing is that while the scale didn't move I could physically tell by clothing and just a sense of self that I was still losing something from somewhere. Those two weeks I had more people comment about my weight loss than ever before. When the stall broke I lost 6lbs in 4 days and didn't change a thing. I still seem to lose slowly then stop for a week then lose 5+ lbs in less than a week. I think like others have said, your body has to catch up to what the hell is going on.

Me today I am down 89lbs, in size 18 jeans (use to be 26/28 pre-op), 2x t-shirts (I like mine comfortably loose and use to be 4x/5x). I don't have any qualms about sitting in booths at a restaurant and will not have any issues flying to visit my parents in 2wks. I wanted to share some of my experiences and tips because I know I felt a failure at first and scared about what the future would hold. I have realistic expectations for myself and end result. I know I will probably reach my ultimate weight loss goal and loose some more or maybe even gain a little back. "They" always say food is a control issue for overweight people since they feel they can't control anything else. I say bullshit! I control everything in my life and food was the one thing I didn't have to think about, that's why I made it all the way to 370lbs. Be smart about your choices, find what works for you within those smart choices and soldier on.

Thanks for the honesty....I'm 44 and I feel like life is started all over. I'm at 7wks.... and starting to learn how to eat real food again. You're giving me a glimpse of what's ahead. I think I can handle it. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App