Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone see the Today Show this morning about the obese brain?

I saw a segment this morning on the today show regarding a 4 year study they did comparing a thin person's brain to an obese person's brain. After eating a meal until feeling full, the thin person's brain hardly had any activity but the obese person's brain acted like it had not eaten yet. They stated they now have biological confirmation that we are wired differently. In the segment they said that when weight-loss surgery is done, the obese brain reacts like the thin person's brain but only for the first year. The brain reverts back to its old self after a year. Scary!!! I know I have to totally change my eating habits but I sure hope Im not one of many who gain back. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's pretty interesting that the brain reverts back after a one year study, but I don't think the study was conducted in that long of a time to really conclude anything. What type of WLS was it? where the participants mixed like sleeve, RNY, Gastric Pilation, Lap-Band?

Yes many ppl do unfortunately gain weight after surgery. I think it might boil down to maintaining your diet, Vitamin intake, finding support, and following up with a nutritionist and psychologist. Especially a psychologist because you will be surprised as too how much we eat being tied to our emotions, well at least for me ;)

My surgeon told me that everyone has a weight comfort level built in their body. Some people have a higher weight comfort than others. That is why some people can eat anything and not gain an ounce. This is why diets do not work - your body fights to gain back any lost weight. I would lose 30 lbs. and gain back 40

My surgeon also said that the sleeve surgery will reset this comfort level to a lower level. Also, when the sleeve is performed, the part of your stomach that tells you to feed it, is gone. If you take in fewer calories, and exercise more, chances are you will lose weight.

@@nolady

The one year revert totally makes sense. All the research I have read is that after 1 year, the Ghrelin production for RNY and Sleeve patients returns almost to normal, after being basically nothing right after surgery. Not just that but once you are healed, if you don't have complications, you can eat just about anything if you want to.

Which is why creating healthy habits early on when you have all the support from your body are important. People have to find a WOE (way of eating), that works for them long term, that is healthy and promotes a healthy weight.

You won't have your tool to lean on for the rest of your life. It is there to help you in the beginning and for you to learn with it. If you waste it, it is wasted, no do overs.

there are just too many people who tell me their heads were not in the game in that first year, but that their sleeve was right there waiting for them when they got ready to make me believe that it is wasted.

some things may go back to normal, but you never have a normal size stomach again. it's just not quite that black and white from what I can tell. but I do agree with making healthy habits, and a way of eating that is healthy and you can live with!

I can say after 2 years I still don't have the hunger and cravings as I did before surgery, but definitely more noticeable than at a year out. I have to actually use good ol will power now (boo). I also know that as each year that goes by, the hunger and cravings increase, so I've got my work cut out for me to maintain this weight I've lost. It seems year 3 is usually when it really becomes difficult, and by year 5 it's REALLY difficult but doable. I just have to stay the course the best I can as life happens, and know that it's always going to be a struggle, but a total worthwhile one for sure!

there are just too many people who tell me their heads were not in the game in that first year, but that their sleeve was right there waiting for them when they got ready to make me believe that it is wasted.

some things may go back to normal, but you never have a normal size stomach again. it's just not quite that black and white from what I can tell. but I do agree with making healthy habits, and a way of eating that is healthy and you can live with!

It's so easy to feel that restriction is still going to be a factor with weight loss longer term (and maintenence) at under a year out. The restriction is still awesome and hunger is low.

At 2 years out, I could EASILY eat 2000+ calories if I really put my mind to it. JamieLogical actually did it to prove you can eat around your stomach size a little further out. Just because you can't eat a lot in one sitting, doesn't mean you can't eat the wrong stuff and eat it frequently. Early out, lack of hunger helps. Once that's gone....well ask 43% of people who gain their weight back what happens.

Dr Matthew Weiner says by year 5, most of the benefits of the surgery are almost null. So it's totally on us at that point, even with a post surgery size stomach.

@@Babbs

Yeah with dedication (boredom) and time I could easily eat 3000-4000 calories in a day, probably more if everything was crunchy like store Cookies or crackers. Thin crust pizza triggers no restriction for me. If I liked ice cream or milk shakes, I could suck down a large milk shake from steak n shake, those are around 1000 calories each. Toss in a few cocktails to end the evening, lol. Nothing stops me from eating like this except me. I am not interested in that stuff, so I don't eat it. Also because I KNOW I can eat all I want of those types of things I avoid them like the plague.

Steak, I just can't eat more than 4.5 ounces. Even with a fatty steak the calories are nothing.

Restriction won't help you long term if you don't let it help you.

@@Babbs

Yeah with dedication (boredom) and time I could easily eat 3000-4000 calories in a day, probably more if everything was crunchy like store Cookies or crackers. Thin crust pizza triggers no restriction for me. If I liked ice cream or milk shakes, I could suck down a large milk shake from steak n shake, those are around 1000 calories each. Toss in a few cocktails to end the evening, lol. Nothing stops me from eating like this except me. I am not interested in that stuff, so I don't eat it. Also because I KNOW I can eat all I want of those types of things I avoid them like the plague.

Steak, I just can't eat more than 4.5 ounces. Even with a fatty steak the calories are nothing.

Restriction won't help you long term if you don't let it help you.

Wow that's insane to think all that would fit. I'm onky a week out so don't really know what I'm doing but wow. I cannot imagine it fitting!

@@rolosmom7

Your stomach empties as soon as things enter it, the opening at the bottom of your stomach opens. You can see this on a live swallow test. Dense Protein takes longer to move through your stomach but things that are not dense and are sliders, move right on through. If you push them through with liquids, you can eat as much as you want.

Long term a sleeve or bypass won't save you from over eating, only you can do that.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I did see the news story, I was going to look online, find it, and post it. Very interesting.