Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support

So I started this WLS journey in earnest about 6 months ago. Saw a surgeon in the Boston area and a nutritionist. Payed out of pocket for these appointments because I was living in a different state at the time. Got lots of information and felt great about the whole thing and confident with the surgeon and hospital. Was sent off with recommendations on weight loss, blood work, diet, etc. So I decided to move back to the Boston area, not only to do WLS but for family reasons. Lost a bunch of weight on my own, made an appointment with the nutritionist and contacted the surgeons office to find out what else I needed to do as well as to get insurance advice to pick the best plan for this. So I've finally completed all the tests and am just waiting for the results of my sleep study (on October 7). Hoping to get a surgery date shortly after that.

So one of the test I had to complete was a stress test. The big problem with this is that they made me run on a treadmill. I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for the past year. Being back in the Boston area I finally had access to physical therapy and other means to treat it. I was starting to feel some relief until that stress test. Now not only do I have plantar fasciitis but also a very very painful bursa on my heal. So frustrated and in pain. All I want to do is is to turn to food. After loosing weight I thought that getting around would be easier but instead I'm more limited than before.

So I also thought the place I picked had lots of resources for support but so far there was one monthly meeting that I missed. I'm feeling totally alone on this journey. The only person that knows is my best friend and she hasn't been able to be that supportive because of an unexpected death in her family. I'm only planning on telling one other person, my mom, but not until I have a surgery date as I don't want her to worry much.

Anyway I'm just feeling really depressed and overwhelmed and alone in all this. Any advice welcome

HW 326 (20 years ago)

LW 145 (17years ago)

recent HW 259

CW 205

GW 135

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Welcome. You have come to the right place. This is a great site for support, information and encouragement. It sounds like you are well on your way.

Alone??? NO WAY!!! Not as long as you have US. :)

----and now that you have found us------you have us and we have you !

Welcome, my new friend.

Post any concern, brag or bitch. There will be someone here that has shared your experience and will be will to "share" with you.

We may spit and sputter once in awhile, but above all else-----WE CARE.

if it makes you feel any better, I don't like my local support group. you've got us all here, so come and sit a while. hope to hear you have your surgery date soon! becareful to that foot - I hope it heals up good.

There is always a friend here for support, like picking up the phone. Also, all the information you need. Hang in ther, you are doing an amazing job for yourself, and my husband and I did the sleeve without anyone knowing also. I am glad you have your friend. She will also need you to comfort her, so take care of yourself. A hug and a prayer.

@@vegbeth

Welcome! I am a relative-newbie to the entire thing, but I have found this community to be helpful and informative. Good luck to you!!

Instead of turning to food, why not turn to your strength that is evident, the part that guided you to lose weight, research and pursue sleeve surgery and get treatment for the foot problem? You're feeling worn down which is understandable. You're allowed a day to chill and feel sorry for yourself. Then it's back to taking care of what needs taking care of in a logical sequence. You don't have to do everything in a day.

I think you already see that you have support in BP. As to in-person support groups, Boston, with lots of hospitals, is a good place. Call around or check their websites to get the meeting schedules. I've heard of only one bariatric practice in the U.S. that bars patients of "competitors" and that is somewhere in the Midwest. Some groups are well-organized and run by knowledgeable staff, others not so much. You'll decide which you'd like to attend again.

Thanks everybody for your kind words of support. I was in one of my lowest points that day. I've had a cortisone shot in my heal and am hopeful that it will help. I'm going to look into other in person support groups as suggested. I'm definitely needing more resources as my support network here is very small. Having moved across the country, I've left my whole social network behind.

Thanks everybody for your kind words of support. I was in one of my lowest points that day. I've had a cortisone shot in my heal and am hopeful that it will help. I'm going to look into other in person support groups as suggested. I'm definitely needing more resources as my support network here is very small. Having moved across the country, I've left my whole social network behind.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App[/quote

STAY HERE, THERE IS NOTHING EQUAL.

I've only been here on BP for a few months, but I've found this to be an enormously supportive group. Welcome and I hope you stay around!

Well it looks like the cortisone shot didn't work and I'm still having terrible pain in my heel. Feeling extremely discouraged. The biggest reason I want to be sleeved is to be able to be more active. I love to hike, camp, ski,and even used to run when I was thinner. Now even running errands or doing simple things around the house is painful. As I mentioned above, I just moved back to the Boston area and have yet to find work. I'm an early childhood teacher thus my job requires me to spend most of my day on my feet. I can't work if I can't stand. Of course since I was planning on surgery in the next couple of months my plan was to do substituting until I was recovered. I miss the kids and miss working. Anyway trying to stay positive but not really succeeding. The fact that this was caused by the required pre-op stress test is making me crazy. I did this to get more mobile not less!

Edited by vegbeth

Well the bad foot seems to be getting a little better but now the other foot is getting worse. I would think with all the psychical therapy exercises and stretches I'm doing that that would not be possible. It seems like I will be living with pain for the foreseeable future. I'm still trying to manage this medically but decided that perhaps I needed counseling as this whole issue is completely depressing me. So I've got an appointment with the counselor that they had me meet for my pre-surgical requirement. I think it's fitting its on my birthday as well. Another step toward taking care of myself. I really need someone else to talk to about all of this, not just my foot, but all my concerns about surgery. The therapist actually had surgery herself! The assistant in my dr office also told me she had surgery and spent lots of time on the phone answering my questions. It was great to talk to someone who had done it. I know I can get through all of this and emerge a healthier and active person. I just need all the support I can find, here and in person, to get around the roadblocks on this journey. On the positive side, I'm already having to get rid of clothes that are to big and fitting into clothes I haven't worn for years. I'm going to have to get a new winter coat!

Edited by vegbeth

I've never had a heel spur but I do have plantar fasciitis and I say I do have it because even though it's not acting up at the moment, once you have it never really goes away.

I developed it when I worked retail, standing on my feet all day. Ugh. It was the worst in the morning! I would hobble out of bed like I was 93! I weighed a lot less than I do now but had started to gain weight (I was about 145 at the time), but even that's too heavy for my frame.

I used night splints and did all kinds of stretching excersices and got more supportive shoes. It eventually got better. Then it came back, but only in one foot, so I had a cortisone shot. That took away the pain but only lasted a month. So back to stretching and night splints I went.

Then it subsided but my left Achilles heel started hurting and I developed a bump on it (I had damaged it and the lump was scar tissue). I went for physical therapy and had to do all kinds of exercises to strengthen my ankles, plus a massage technique called Astym, which also works on plantar fasciitis. Another technique called Rolfing also works.

My husband got it too from working in the hospitality industry and being on his feet all day. He was no overweight, so even thin people get it but being overweight makes you more susceptible. I hope you find some relief soon!

Edited by Browneyedgirl41

I've never had a heel spur but I do have plantar fasciitis and I say I do have it because even though it's not acting up at the moment, once you have it never really goes away.

I developed it when I worked retail, standing on my feet all day. Ugh. It was the worst in the morning! I would hobble out of bed like I was 93! I weighed a lot less than I do now but had started to gain weight (I was about 145 at the time), but even that's too heavy for my frame.

I used night splints and did all kinds of stretching excersices and got more supportive shoes. It eventually got better. Then it came back, but only in one foot, so I had a cortisone shot. That took away the pain but only lasted a month. So back to stretching and night splints I went.

Then it subsided but my left Achilles heel started hurting and I developed a bump on it (I had damaged it and the lump was scar tissue). I went for physical therapy and had to do all kinds of exercises to strengthen my ankles, plus a massage technique called Astym, which also works on plantar fasciitis. Another technique called Rolfing also works.

My husband got it too from working in the hospitality industry and being on his feet all day. He was not overweight, so even thin people get it but being overweight makes you more susceptible. I hope you find some relief soon! Believe me, I know how annoying and painful it is.

Sorry I have no idea how that got posted twice.

Edited by Browneyedgirl41

I've had plantar fasciitis a couple of times in the past, though this is different from the last times. I'm pretty sure I've been misdiagnosed this time. I'm going to look into the Rolfing and astym also. Thanks for the info. Although I know weight wasn't the only factor, after all I do work mostly on my feet, I'm hoping loosing will help.