Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story thus far

For starters my name is randy im a 27yr old male from kentucky. Ive always been borderline overweight at any point in my life but i played sports all through school so that kept me a little athletic build. At my best 5'11 230lb and held records for weight lifting. Once i graduated high school i went on to quick stent at college sports and decided i was done with it and thats when the weight came. I got in a comfortable relationship, stopped working out and started drinking and eatting and blew up to 360. But with my past no one accepted i was that big even my self i still just looked like a brute. I kept that weight for prob 7 years and lately i got all the way to 391. Had a baby last sep and just found out we are expecting another. Heart disease and just poor overall health runs in my family and im always saying we cant let our kids start out like i did but how can you say you cant have a pop or cakes when dad is eatting them at an alarming rate so i decided to look into the sleeve and be a role model and to be able to be around for 50 more years not 10. So august 1st 2016 i went to the dr for the first time and they started my pre op diet. I lost 21 lbs everything went smooth and was scheduled for surgery 9/2/16 at 9am. Not going to lie a few days prior i did cheat one last time. Had some home made biscuits and gravy and cheesecake factory lol but i actually didnt even finish ethier meal.

The surgery 9/2/16

I arrived at 7am at st josephs hospital in lexington, ky. Had already pre registered so just aited for them to call me back got me dressed started all my ivs and vitals and my family came back and set with me til 9 on the dot. I was getting so nervous not because of fear but because of the change for the good this would have on my life. I actually remember telling my wife i dread the catheter more than anything as ive never had one. And that i would be home the next day, be back to work and not need the pain meds. Ive had knee surgery and wrist surgery before so i figured it would be a breeze. Boy was i wrong. I woke up feeling very confused not knowing where i was and in terrible pain they finally got.me knocked back out. And kept my pain at ease the rest of the day. At approx 1pm that day i said was ready to walk and i sat my goal at one block around the nurse unit which is 300 ft. I ended up doing tha 3 more times in 24 hours. The bed was killing me so i opted for a recliner and thats when i felt regret with the ordeal. I couldnt raise my self up i felt so useless because of the pain and soreness ive always done things for my self but after a talk with my wife i snapped out of it and told my self pain is only temporary. Anyways that night the pain was managed but i dealt with alot of nausea. I never puked luckily but it was rough at times i learnt alcohol swabs under the nose help until the meds kick in. 5 am the day after surgery my urine output was great so the cathetor got pulled. 3pm the dr came in said im doing the best hes seen post op so he offered me to go home and we thought on it a while and i was back home at roughly 7pm. That night was rough laying in a flat bed and trying to get up with a pegnant wife pulling on me but i made. My 2nd day pos op i had a hot cup hot chocolate no sugar added. 8gr potein 5carbs its the best i could find but i just do one cup in the morning. I ate 1/3 cup sugar free Jello and about 4 spoon fulls of wendys chili that evening. Only down fall was i only got in roughly 26oz fluids. So starting monday i attacked with a different method. I started with my hot Fluid and meds. Ate half of a egg white. And got my 2 Protein shakes down at 30g potein each and about 4 spoons of chili again. Yesturday i got 68oz of Fluid. Today as i write this at 9am day 4 post op i have started the same with my hot fluids and already finished roughly 20oz of fluid. My pain is much more tolerable today and the gas is almost all gone. And sorry if you picture it but i had my first bowel movement this morning and tht was great as well. Everything seems to be getting better each day. Im increasing my walking each day whether it be around the house, to check the mail or going out in he garage. I did order a stationary bike so i could ride it while the kids play inside or we watch tv or something so im.not.just sitting around.

I will try to keep this updated so that maybe my story will inspire someone else that has just had surgery or looking to have it just as many of other stories helped me. The biggest thing i have to say about it all is pain is temporary, but the change you will go through is life changing and thats for the better for your self and the ones around you

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Well i switched to premier Protein pre mixed drinks today. They come in 11oz 30 g Protein and only 4g of carbs vs my powder mix i was getting from GNC at 8oz 30g protein and 3 carbs. It taste 100% better and counts more towrds my daily fluids

Last night i slept great actually and didnt use any pain pills and woke up feeling great today. Each day seem to be getting better. I have my first post op visit this friday. To get my staples removed, support group and my first weigh in so im ready to get to that point hopefully its good

11 days post op today, going to try to hold out on weighing my self until my nxt check up which is 1 month away but i can tell a major change in my body size already. Had to go down 2 notches on the belt lol.

After my app fri the dr told me to start eatting more foods that im healing great and having bowel movents so i can start on some meats and just make sure to eat very small bites and chew well. I tried chicken sunday night, meat ball last night and will be doing a taco tonight, no wrap of course. I stay very active through out the day so im getting around 90oz of liquid and 70g Protein daily.

Congrats to you!

Your journey sounds a lot like my brother's, only he was 40 before he decided to make the change for his family. Now, 6 years later, he has been a big inspiration to to do the same. I am now a month out, and I am getting better everyday.

I wish you and your family a happy, healthy, long life!

Has anyone tried heating up a choco Protein shake as "hot chocolate" - hot liquids are much easier on me

Just be careful and don't make it too hot. Some Protein supplements don't do well if they are too hot.

I like ProtiDiet hot chocolate.

11 days post op today, going to try to hold out on weighing my self until my nxt check up which is 1 month away but i can tell a major change in my body size already. Had to go down 2 notches on the belt lol.

After my app fri the dr told me to start eatting more foods that im healing great and having bowel movents so i can start on some meats and just make sure to eat very small bites and chew well. I tried chicken sunday night, meat ball last night and will be doing a taco tonight, no wrap of course. I stay very active through out the day so im getting around 90oz of liquid and 70g Protein daily.

What is your Protein target? 70 grams seems low for a guy.

Mine is 100 grams.

You look great, keep up the good work. I'll be 1yr out next week and I'm excited to say I've had no complications nor complaints besides 5-6 episodes of acid reflux other than that I'm glad I had vsg