Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on that wagon, is it possible?

I've fallen off the wagon... too hard to get back up on my own so I'm back on here. 8 months after surgery I was at my lowest, down 64.4 pounds at 185.6 on 9/15/15.

Now a year later, today, I've regained 27.4 pounds so that puts me at post op 1 year and 8 months down 37 pounds.

I know where I went wrong, I've got excuses but I won't bore you with them here. Have any of you done this and successfully gotten back on the wagon and are on your way toward your goal again? I need some, "me too, but it's possible to turn it back around" and what worked for you.

TIA

Sent from my Android using the BariatricPal App

The short answer is yes you can. Do the pre-op diet again for a week, it will help you get started again. You have the tool, now just use your talent.

This is my biggest fear! I have stopped losing but not gaining either at about 8 months out. Daily I kick myself in the butt for not leaving off carbs more than I should. I have also heard too to go back on the pre op diet , and progress back into foods like you did after sx. I pray that you get back on the wagon and I will try to do the same. Keep me posted on your progress.

This is my biggest fear! I have stopped losing but not gaining either at about 8 months out. Daily I kick myself in the butt for not leaving off carbs more than I should. I have also heard too to go back on the pre op diet , and progress back into foods like you did after sx. I pray that you get back on the wagon and I will try to do the same. Keep me posted on your progress.

Yes, I'm going shopping for the liquids and soft Proteins this weekend. Gotta start the 5daypouchtest on Monday.

It can be done. I've seen people lose all of their regain (some as high as 50 pounds). It's not as easy as the first time, and may take you much longer, but it can be done.

I'm 2 years out, and I gained almost 6 earlier this year. It's taken me from May to now to literally lose 5 of the 6. I had to change up my exercise routine, and also did the 5:2 program, or intermittent fasting to decrease my cravings and increase my restriction. Maybe something you could look into?

One thing you might want to look into is there is an online support group called BOT which stands for Back on Track. They have a private Facebook page and their website Bariatric Eating.com sells Protein Powder called Inspire which I have tried and the flavors are good and they don't have that Protein after taste some have. This protein is a high quality whey isolate. 20 grams of protein and a little over 100 calories. The powder mixes super easily.

My friend who had some regain after her surgery tole me about it. They have tons of Bariatric recipes. I didn't look into the program in detail since I haven't regained. However, I think the first week or so you do the shakes all day and then have a high protein low carb meal. My friend swears by it and has lost almost 20 of her regain. I joined the Facebook page to help keep me on track and there are tons of inspirational stories of people who are losing their regain and some who have re lost it all!

I ordered the protein powder since I occasionally so shakes as a Meal Replacement or will drink them to drop a pound or two and I really like this brand.

Good luck- you can do this!!

I seem to regain and re-lose the same 10 over and over (when my bounce was only supposed to be five!!). ARGH!

I've got no one to blame but myself.

It's really quite easy to lose if I decide to just do it. I go back to all protein' first, and eliminate the carbs. A day or two of 'liquids only doesn't hurt and it will jump start the strict restriction. And I know I have to move more, couch less.

If I can do it, anyone can. :D

I'm in the same boat. Gained 20 lbs from my lowest and feel terrible. I am blaming it mostly on grief (stress eating) AND eating more calories in general since I started a night job and nosh all night.

I am actually starting the 5 Day Pouch Test tomorrow (friday) and just waiting for my mail person to deliver (due today) a variety of Protein powders and bari Soups etc that I ordered from bariatriceating.com. I love that site, and this one really provides me a ton of support. I ordered some things from here too!

everybody here is my major form of support, plus my immediate family, because really nobody in my family even knows I had surgery. Many friends and co-workers know, but it's not something I put out there because of a lot of general judgemental issues with family. So FB groups for ME aren't an option.

Some things that have really helped me to TRY and get some control:

1. Call the doc and nut and get appointment- I changed jobs and insurance and lost my old doc so I haven't seen anybody in over a year. I see them both next Wednesday.

2. Find out about the support group associated with that surgeon and call the coordinator of it and at least let them know I'd be coming. They meet monthly and have a pretty big attendance.

3. Come back to this website, state my regain, state my issues, and ACCEPT it. No beating up myself. Just admitted and moved on.

4. Go back to bariatriceating.com and pick some new Protein powders, Soups etc and ordered them. Also went and got all of the pre-op and immediate post-op foods and wrote out a plan. Also picked up my fave Quest Cookies and Cream bars. Lastly, cruised the new food options from this site and trying some of those too. variety will keep me interested!

5. Just try in general to get my head back in the game by reading some of my old books, etc and watching a lot of youtube including episodes of Fat Doctor. The videos on youtube really helped me get my head ready in the first place.

Wishing you luck. yes it CAN be done.

It can be done. I've seen people lose all of their regain (some as high as 50 pounds). It's not as easy as the first time, and may take you much longer, but it can be done.

I'm 2 years out, and I gained almost 6 earlier this year. It's taken me from May to now to literally lose 5 of the 6. I had to change up my exercise routine, and also did the 5:2 program, or intermittent fasting to decrease my cravings and increase my restriction. Maybe something you could look into?

What is the 5:2?

@@sleevedmanda

https://authoritynutrition.com/the-5-2-diet-guide/

And I know I have to move more, couch less.

This can't be said enough. Although exercise doesn't seem as important with weight loss, I learned the hard way it's almost everything with maintenance.

Anyway, about the 5:2.....

I know it sounds like another "fad", but honestly, my metabolism changed once again in maintenance. Any little change in my daily routine would cause a gain, and it WOULD NOT come off no matter what I did. I found the intermittent fasting along with moderate to hard exercise helped ramp up my metabolism again to where I could start losing. Something about the on again off again eating pattern helps with the metabolic changes.