Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Degenerative Disc Disease - Advice?

Hi all! I had RNY on 11/15/15. HW: 349. SW:337. CW:217 (Down 132 lbs.) I got really into exercise around February of this year: HIIT strength training, cardio dance, spinning, etc. I was working out 6x a week and feeling so strong and healthy.

In mid-May I had emergency ovarian surgery. I was cleared to work out again one week later, so of course I hit the gym as hard as before. Three days later I was in agony with back pain.

I think the stress of abdominal surgery put more strain on my back, and my body is changing so quickly anyway, that it got to be too much for my goofy spine. I have DDD of the L4-S1 vertebrae, as so many of us do, with zero discs left in that region. The pain has been more intense and lingering than ever before and it's really affected me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

It's been a long road of stops and starts trying to get back to "normal." Here's what I'm doing now: physical therapy exercises to start my day, every day. My personal training (HIIT strength training) twice a week, avoiding "triggering" exercises. (My trainers know the limitations.) Just started restorative yoga 2x a week and felt amazing after the first session. Can't wait to go back. Walking a 20 minute mile for 2-3 miles at least 4x a week. Going to the chiropractor as needed for adjustments and massage. And of course I sleep on my back with a knee bolster. I would love to go back to my old training style and schedule but suspect that will be out of reach for a while.

For those of you out there also dealing with DDD, herniations, stenosis, etc - what works for you? Have any tips or tricks? Did you also experience worsening back pain after surgery?

I heard that we used to have more insulation around the spine, and weight loss naturally causes instability because of the lack of "cushion." Also, our back muscles get super strong because they're used to carrying around a lot of weight in front, so when we become lighter they're still in "flex mode" and prone to act up. I am not medical professional - does any of that make sense?! My chiro and ortho didn't really have theories on this.

Speaking from experience I can only say I love who ever it was that invented the tens unit, with out that I would be miserable. When my back is acting up, which is more than I would like, I put my tens unit on and let that go for like 30 min to an hour. it really does help a lot.

I have absolutely experienced significant change in my spine post surgery. Keep in mind that I did have problems before my bypass, in fact had to have a fusion of L5 & S1 and also had cervical spinal stenosis with cord flattening.

Post surgery, like you I was working out every day. An hour of cardio 5 times per week and 2 days of 3-5 miles walking per day on the other days.

At about 7 months post op, I started to notice my cervical spine getting much worse causing severe numbness and tingling down my right arm along with very severe neck pain. I had been putting off cervical fusion for about 8 years. Well, when I went to the doctor instead of having only 1 level in severe shape, now I had 3 and because of the cord flattening and stenosis, they wanted to do surgery right away. This is all stemming from DDD.

At the time I saw them, they told me they see many many patients post massive weight loss because all the fat was actually structure holding everything together.

In June of last year I had a 3 level cervical fusion. I continued to lose more weight down now 152lbs and my thoracic spine and ribs are involved.

I have been in physical therapy, myofacial release, acupuncture, since December to absolutely no avail. I started seeing a specialized chiropractor who works with patients with extensive fusions and he has definately helped other parts of my spine and neck but the severe thoracic pain is still there. Two weeks ago they tried trigger point injections in the muscle thinking that might help. The only thing it did was make me feel numb for about a day but I could still feel the pain in my back and ribs.

So, now we are still working with chiropractor and on the 23rd they are going to try a epidural injection in my T9, T10 and T11 vertebrae following by some nerve injections in my intercostal ribs.

I am praying this works because I really do not want to have another surgery to install a neurostimulator that may or may not work for this.

Some people have a lot of relief after weight loss and I do have severe osteoarthritis of the spine along with DDD.

Even still with all of this, I would have absolutely had the gastric bypass. All my other joints are better. I believe I waited about 10 years too long to have this surgery knowing I had back problems to begin with.

I also believe if I was carrying around another 152lbs I would be in worse shape.

Back problems are no picnic and today and I really lucky if I can walk from the parking lot into a store and around the store for 20 minutes. I hope that when they do these other injections it improves my state but the only exercise I can do right now are strength ing and stretching so I have to maintain my weight with food.

I manage mine with yoga for back pain (Peggy Cappy), Epsom salts baths and glucosomine/chondrotin with MSM. my issues with this and sciatic nerve pain have worsened since surgery overall - when needed I also take Tylenol. this manages my pain pretty well.

Hi all! I had RNY on 11/15/15. HW: 349. SW:337. CW:217 (Down 132 lbs.) I got really into exercise around February of this year: HIIT strength training, cardio dance, spinning, etc. I was working out 6x a week and feeling so strong and healthy.

In mid-May I had emergency ovarian surgery. I was cleared to work out again one week later, so of course I hit the gym as hard as before. Three days later I was in agony with back pain.

I think the stress of abdominal surgery put more strain on my back, and my body is changing so quickly anyway, that it got to be too much for my goofy spine. I have DDD of the L4-S1 vertebrae, as so many of us do, with zero discs left in that region. The pain has been more intense and lingering than ever before and it's really affected me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

It's been a long road of stops and starts trying to get back to "normal." Here's what I'm doing now: physical therapy exercises to start my day, every day. My personal training (HIIT strength training) twice a week, avoiding "triggering" exercises. (My trainers know the limitations.) Just started restorative yoga 2x a week and felt amazing after the first session. Can't wait to go back. Walking a 20 minute mile for 2-3 miles at least 4x a week. Going to the chiropractor as needed for adjustments and massage. And of course I sleep on my back with a knee bolster. I would love to go back to my old training style and schedule but suspect that will be out of reach for a while.

For those of you out there also dealing with DDD, herniations, stenosis, etc - what works for you? Have any tips or tricks? Did you also experience worsening back pain after surgery?

I heard that we used to have more insulation around the spine, and weight loss naturally causes instability because of the lack of "cushion." Also, our back muscles get super strong because they're used to carrying around a lot of weight in front, so when we become lighter they're still in "flex mode" and prone to act up. I am not medical professional - does any of that make sense?! My chiro and ortho didn't really have theories on this.

I also suffer from DJD which includes an 'unstable' spine. My vertebrae move all over the place and I suffer from multiple issues due to that. My doctor(s) have said that surgery is not an option...that the 'cure' is worse than my disease. I've been told the best thing is to work the core muscles so they can take up the slack for the unstable vertebrae. So....personal training..here I come.

Speaking from experience I can only say I love who ever it was that invented the tens unit, with out that I would be miserable. When my back is acting up, which is more than I would like, I put my tens unit on and let that go for like 30 min to an hour. it really does help a lot.

Thanks Waler! Love the tens unit. Wonder if those OTC ones sold at drugstores work as well as the real thing.

I have absolutely experienced significant change in my spine post surgery. Keep in mind that I did have problems before my bypass, in fact had to have a fusion of L5 & S1 and also had cervical spinal stenosis with cord flattening.

Post surgery, like you I was working out every day. An hour of cardio 5 times per week and 2 days of 3-5 miles walking per day on the other days.

At about 7 months post op, I started to notice my cervical spine getting much worse causing severe numbness and tingling down my right arm along with very severe neck pain. I had been putting off cervical fusion for about 8 years. Well, when I went to the doctor instead of having only 1 level in severe shape, now I had 3 and because of the cord flattening and stenosis, they wanted to do surgery right away. This is all stemming from DDD.

At the time I saw them, they told me they see many many patients post massive weight loss because all the fat was actually structure holding everything together.

In June of last year I had a 3 level cervical fusion. I continued to lose more weight down now 152lbs and my thoracic spine and ribs are involved.

I have been in physical therapy, myofacial release, acupuncture, since December to absolutely no avail. I started seeing a specialized chiropractor who works with patients with extensive fusions and he has definately helped other parts of my spine and neck but the severe thoracic pain is still there. Two weeks ago they tried trigger point injections in the muscle thinking that might help. The only thing it did was make me feel numb for about a day but I could still feel the pain in my back and ribs.

So, now we are still working with chiropractor and on the 23rd they are going to try a epidural injection in my T9, T10 and T11 vertebrae following by some nerve injections in my intercostal ribs.

I am praying this works because I really do not want to have another surgery to install a neurostimulator that may or may not work for this.

Some people have a lot of relief after weight loss and I do have severe osteoarthritis of the spine along with DDD.

Even still with all of this, I would have absolutely had the gastric bypass. All my other joints are better. I believe I waited about 10 years too long to have this surgery knowing I had back problems to begin with.

I also believe if I was carrying around another 152lbs I would be in worse shape.

Back problems are no picnic and today and I really lucky if I can walk from the parking lot into a store and around the store for 20 minutes. I hope that when they do these other injections it improves my state but the only exercise I can do right now are strength ing and stretching so I have to maintain my weight with food.

So sorry to hear about your spine issues, Djmohr. That sounds very painful and difficult. Hope all goes well and I'm wishing you relief and rehabilitation! Glad to learn you would still go through with bypass. I agree that despite the setbacks, it's been worthwhile.

I manage mine with yoga for back pain (Peggy Cappy), Epsom salts baths and glucosomine/chondrotin with MSM. my issues with this and sciatic nerve pain have worsened since surgery overall - when needed I also take Tylenol. this manages my pain pretty well.

Thanks for your input! I will order Peggy's DVD. Do you feel any different since taking glucosomine?

Tens unit?

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I also suffer from DJD which includes an 'unstable' spine. My vertebrae move all over the place and I suffer from multiple issues due to that. My doctor(s) have said that surgery is not an option...that the 'cure' is worse than my disease. I've been told the best thing is to work the core muscles so they can take up the slack for the unstable vertebrae. So....personal training..here I come.

Thanks for your input, gowalking! That's a good point and something I forgot about - the Ortho did recommend core strengthening. I've added about 5 min of core to the end of my personal training sessions (they say any more than 10 minutes is too stressful for your abdominals.) Wishing you all the best with personal training! It has truly transformed my life. I think a knowledgeable trainer is worth her/his weight in gold. :)

@@NewLifeFinny My PT told me the OTC Tens are just as good. I have DDD too and don't look forward to it worsening post-op. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck since July 1st that I am supposed to get a cortisone injection but waiting to talk to my Bariatric surgeon first.

@@NewLifeFinny My PT told me the OTC Tens are just as good. I have DDD too and don't look forward to it worsening post-op. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck since July 1st that I am supposed to get a cortisone injection but waiting to talk to my Bariatric surgeon first. Thanks for letting me know, Kristen! That's helpful. Sorry about your pinched nerve and DDD. :( Hope you're feeling better soon. And who knows? Maybe your back will feel better and not worse after surgery! :)

I previously had a neurostimulator implanted for my lower lumbar and nerve pain in my right leg. It literally gave me my life back. That was in 2005 and I used it every single day for 3 years 24 hours per day. Then one day I turned it off and noticed the nerve pain in my leg was gone.

So, I turned it off and only used it during flares which happen once or twice per year.

Then when I lost all my weight, the stupid thing stopped working and because it was an old version it had to be removed. Besides....the internal box was literally sticking out of my back because of my weight loss.

On my thoracic spine, I have used tens units in physical therapy and have purchased over the counter ones. For me the over the counter ones are a joke......the one from physical therapy helped as long as I was hooked up to it. The moment it was removed, my back and rib pain was right back.

I will consider having a neurostimulator implanted for thoracic if and when they can figure out exactly what is causing the nerve pain. So far, 4 different doctors have differing opinions and are trying all the other crap first.

It started with them drugging me out for almost 6 months. I put a stop to that in July. I am no longer on any narcotics or other garbage they tried. I still had severe pain and was now drugged out and sleeping half the day away. I feel fantastic, I am just struggling with debilitating back and rib pain.

Hopefully the epidural will help or at least provide diagnosis for us.

Thanks for your input! I will order Peggy's DVD. Do you feel any different since taking glucosomine?

it has only been two weeks - but yes, I can tell a difference. went from needing Tylenol 3 times a day to some days not needing it at all, some days just needing it once.