Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any smokers out there?

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting.. well, ever.

I just downloaded this app yesterday, and have read a lot of postings from others. Thank you for them, they've really helped me!

After almost two years of preparations... my surgery is scheduled for September 7th! I'm super happy! And nervous! And anxious! But mostly happy and excited!!!

I have a quick question for smokers. Anyone who is doing, or has done the sleeve surgery, who is also smoking.

My doctor said, "I will never encourage you to smoke, because it's bad for you, but it will have no impact on the surgery"

My anesthesiologist said, "it might impact your recovery a little".

Has anyone done the surgery and smoked cigarettes afterwards?

Does it impact you? Does it taste different? Does it feel weird, or make you feel bad?

If you've smoked after, how long did you wait until after the surgery to start again?

Any insight, stories or suggestions would be really, really appreciated!!

Thank you in advance, and good luck to everyone!!!!!

Maya

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

First off, I can't believe your surgeon said it would have "no impact on the surgery".

Studies show that smoking can hinder healing after any surgery. Just Google it and you'll see many, many studies about it.

Second, I was a smoker for 25 years and chose to quit 2 months before my surgery due to the healing factor and generally just wanting to be healthier. I found continuing to smoke after surgery was kind of counter productive to my health goals. But I also know how hard it is to quit, and if you're not ready, you're not ready. I used a vape to quit. Just tapered down the nicotine until I was at 0, then lost interest in the vape. Haven't smoked in over 2 years, and even after reaching below my goal weight and maintaining it now going on a year, I'm more proud of quitting smoking than even the weight loss. I feel so much better and can actually exercise without wheezing my lungs out, lol.

My hubby had a gastric bypass 10 years ago and smoked. No issues (from the smoking at least).

I really have a hard time believing your surgeon said that smoking wouldn't impact your surgery. I would question that for sure. My surgeon gave deadlines for people that smoked in my class and if they failed quit by the deadline (2 weeks prior I think) he would push back the dates. One girl said that it was mentioned to her that she should try electronic cigarettes for a while as studies showed they didn't have the impact post-surgery that real cigs do (I can't confirm this, just repeating what they said to me).

Quick research will show that smoking can slow the healing process and increase the possibility of infection after ANY surgery, not just WLS, which is why i find it so disturbing that your surgeon seems to not care.

While I don't think smoking is healthy at all, I would imagine that if you could kick it 2 weeks prior to surgery and then for about 3-4 weeks after surgery, the major healing should be well on track by then. But of course I wouldn't be doing you any favors if I didn't at least say that I think you should consider giving it up altogether.

If you google it, the first thing that comes up at the top is this:

"Smoking can slow down and interfere with the healing of bones, skin and other body tissues. You are more likely to have wound infection after surgery, longer healing times, problems with new scars opening up and bad scarring."

Use this as a time for a complete reboot.

I have three coworker experiences who have had WLS and were smokers. they all went back to smoking sometime after surgery. they have all had ulcer issues.

Oh, and believe me, now that I'm in maintenence, there have been many times I've wanted to pick up smoking again due to the increased desire to eat or graze. It didn't help that my favorite bariatric doctor on You Tube, Dr Matthew Weiner, said that smokers are more successful at keeping thier weight off. He wasn't encouraging it of course, just stating studies ;)

But I've come this far, and not about to blow it now!

Oh, and believe me, now that I'm in maintenence, there have been many times I've wanted to pick up smoking again due to the increased desire to eat or graze. It didn't help that my favorite bariatric doctor on You Tube, Dr Matthew Weiner, said that smokers are more successful at keeping thier weight off. He wasn't encouraging it of course, just stating studies ;)

But I've come this far, and not about to blow it now!

Honestly, I'm terrified of that! I've been smoking for a few years, and if I'm being 100% honest... I don't want to quit just yet! I'm really not looking forward to having cravings for food.. if you add cigarettes to that as well?! Oof. Not easy...

I have three coworker experiences who have had WLS and were smokers. they all went back to smoking sometime after surgery. they have all had ulcer issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

The surgery team that I dealt with would not even give you the surgery if you had nicotine in your system. I was tested a week pre-op and the morning of surgery. They said if nicotine was found they would NOT do the surgery. there would be nothing worse then getting in your gown and then them coming back and saying you have nicotine in your system, surgery's cancelled!

My surgeon won't clear anyone for surgery unless they stop smoking. It can cause issues with healing, and increases risk for ulcers post op.

Which surgery did they have? And how soon after did they start back smoking?

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

they had the sleeve. and I am not sure - probably they were good about it for the first 6 months or so. I would say for absolute certain all were smoking again by 9 months post op.

Our Program had a woman who returned to smoking shortly after sleeve surgery and ended up with a large ulcer that caused a hole in her stomach and required emergency surgery. As @@Babbs said - I wouldn't go thru WLS to get healthy only to continue smoking. Makes no sense to me!