Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have or going to have surgery with Tijuana Bariatrics/Dr Garcia?

Hi all! I'm a newbie to this forum. I am scheduled to be sleeved Sept 2 by Dr Garcia, Tijuana Bariatrics. I'd love to hear about others' experience with him and his team. I live in south Florida and one of my concerns is the long flight home so soon after surgery. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia in August of 2015, and booked through Tijuana Bariatrics. I had a very positive experience with him and the medical staff at CER, who were attentive and caring. I did not receive much follow-up care, but I also didn't seek it out since I'd already made prior arrangements with my endocrinologist for blood work and other necessities. Anything not covered in the binder of information they gave me I could ask about here, or find information on the websites for bariatric centers. Dr. Garcia also maintains a blog with some posts about how to eat. He is a sweet man, and I think he did an excellent job. I've had no complications, and met my goal. My only regret is that I didn't do the single incision procedure since it was just $1000 more. My skin isn't loose like I feared it would be, and it would be awesome to feel more confident in a bikini now that I've gotten to a weight where I actually want to wear one at the beach. The scars aren't hideous by any means, but I'm fair skinned, so they're still noticeable a year on.

The only negative aspect of CER was under construction at that time (it hopefully is completely finished by now) and that was incredibly noisy. I would bring some earplugs just to be safe. My room was spacious, private, and comfortable otherwise. I brought an HDMI cable to hook my laptop loaded with movies to the TV to help pass time during recovery. My parents were my support team since my husband was working that week, and they had their own room for the week at the Marriott. You can have your support people stay in the room with you for no additional costs, but other family members there at the same time as us said it was a bit uncomfortable for them. The chaise lounge in the room pulls out flat, but isn't a substitute for a real bed. Nurses come in throughout the night to check on you, which is of course to your benefit but will wake up anyone else in the room, too. The Marriott was a bit dated, but still quite nice, and everyone who worked there was very eager to please. My parents were taken by their shuttle van to and from the clinic every day, free of charge.

I also had a mostly positive experience with the coordinators I worked with at Tijuana Bariatrics. They weren't pushy, but were attentive. The only snafu was a problem with my hotel reservation at the Marriott, which was mildly annoying because I'd asked numerous times for the reservation confirmation number in the days before I headed down to Tijuana. It got worked out within an hour, though, so it wasn't much of an issue. The drivers picking us us and taking us back across the border were great, too.

Best wishes to you!

Edit to add -

I live in LA and just drove down there, but I wouldn't be that concerned about a flight. I had enough energy to go shopping at the outlet center just over the border and to a few places along the way. The only discomfort I was in was due to a reaction to the surgical tape used over the incisions. It caused itchiness and little welts. I read that having a small pillow to place in between your lap and the plane's seatbelt can help. I wasn't hungry at all that day, but at CER they gave me Gatorade so I sipped on that, and also got a sugar free iced tea from Starbucks, and then some broth from Panera for lunch. If you're going to have a connecting flight then you probably could find a Starbucks and perhaps even a Panera at the airport.

Edited by Clementine Sky

I had Dr Garcia this last March.. I had a really good experience. I live in San Diego so they just picked me up from my house.. most people I met were flying back home after. One girl told me that Dr Garcia told her to get up and walk on the plane when she was able to... I'm sure the flight home will absolutely be awful because you will feel sore and out of it, but it's doable and not the worst thing in the world! I didn't have any issues with the hospital or hotel.. my only thing was the nurses didn't speak the best English, so even tho they took care of you very well, there is a language barrier when you want to explain how you're feeling or ask a question. Luckily there are others there, like coordinators that can help.. good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia May 26th and have no regrets. The whole thing seems like a dream--I can't believe it happened already. Tijuana Bariatrics was great and CER was a nice facility. (No construction happening when I was there). Great team and very well organized process from check in to check out. Best wishes to you on your surgery!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank everyone for your responses. Ill be in Tijuana day after tomorrow. I can't believe its finally going to happen.

I will be having surgery October 14 with Dr. Garcia. Wondering what you all did pretty op? What diet did you follow? I want to do this right and I think the instructions about the diet is unclear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using the BariatricPal App

I will be having surgery October 14 with Dr. Garcia. Wondering what you all did pretty op? What diet did you follow? I want to do this right and I think the instructions about the diet is unclear.

It's fairly simple. For me, it was a 10 day diet. Only Protein shakes during the day and a salad with Protein at night with low calorie dressing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

From your most recent post it sounds like you now have the information needed, but I'll copy and paste below what Tijuana Bariatrics sent me last year (it could have since been updated) in case anyone else is seeking it:

Pre-Op Instructions Gastric Sleeve, Plication and Lap Band

Use any prepared canned or powdered Protein drink. You may purchase these in any health food store or many grocery stores. Please be sure it contains at least 15 grams of Protein per serving.

1 Protein Drink at Breakfast

1 Protein Drink at lunch

Dinner: salad with Protein (chicken, fish, egg, etc), small amount of low fat dressing, or fat free dressing or olive oil and vinegar.

1 protein drink in the evening if needed

You may also take 1 Metamucil capsule per day if needed for hunger. Start this phase the day before surgery:

Do a light Breakfast the day prior to surgery and take only Clear liquids after that. This consists of broth, Jell-o, sugar-free juice, any clear liquid

You may have nothing to eat or drink after the midnight preceding surgery or 8 hours prior to it. If you are a Same Day Surgery arrive with an empty stomach and wear compression stockings during your trip.

You may take needed medications (such as heart or blood pressure medications) with sips of Water the morning of surgery as directed by our Doctors.

Do not take any aspirin, Advil, Nuprin, Aleve or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication for 7 days prior to surgery. These medications cause unnecessary bleeding after surgery. This includes baby aspirin and most arthritis medications. If you are not sure, please check with our Doctors.. For headache or minor pains you may use Tylenol. You may restart these medications the next day after surgery.

Do not take any herbal medications for 7 days prior to surgery.

Bring comfortable shoes and slippers to Mexico, you will be asked to walk several times per day. Please bring your medications in properly labeled pharmaceutical bottles for documentation of dosages.

You will be on a liquid and soft food diet for two weeks after surgery. Stock up on sugar-free liquids: Crystal Light, sugar free fruit juices, apple sauce, yogurt, sugar-free pudding, sugar-free jell-o, thin Soups and caffeine-free teas. If you do not like the flavor of chicken broth, make chicken noodle Soup and strain out the solids. Avoid all carbonated beverages (fills the stomach with gas). Avoid sugar (extra calories that fight against weight loss). Caffeine makes you urinate more and can lead to dehydration.

You will need to drink plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration after surgery. Sport drink bottles with measurements on the side will help ensure you are drinking enough liquid. You will need to

drink at least two quarts (2,000cc) per day to prevent dehydration. You will not be able to gulp liquids so you will want to drink small amounts throughout the day.

RNY/Bypass, Mini Bypass and DS Start this phase 2 days before surgery:

Take a laxative (any laxative that you usually use). Take only Clear Liquids after that. This consists of broth, Jell-o, sugar-free juice, Gatorade and any clear liquid.

You may have nothing to drink after the midnight preceding surgery or 8 hours prior to your surgery. If you are a Same Day Surgery arrive on an empty stomach and wear compression stockings.

*Please follow the pre-op diet as instructed below

1. BMI’s 30 to 31 no diet-only clears liquids the day prior to surgery 2.-BMI's 32 to 39 - 7 days

3.-BMI's 40 to 49- 10 days

4.- BMI's 50 to 59- 14 days

5.- BMI's 60 to 69- 21 days

6.-BMI's 70 and over- 1 month

I just started working with them, waiting for Dr Garcia to approve me and waiting for a response to my final try at getting it locally through my insurance. Been denied twice already. Ive asked the coordinator twice but she skated around my question...how far out are they booking? As in when was first available suegery date that you could have? A couple weeks? A couple months?

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I just started working with them, waiting for Dr Garcia to approve me and waiting for a response to my final try at getting it locally through my insurance. Been denied twice already. Ive asked the coordinator twice but she skated around my question...how far out are they booking? As in when was first available suegery date that you could have? A couple weeks? A couple months?

I contacted Tijuana Bariatrics in early August and was able to book my surgery with Dr. Garcia for August 18. I could have scheduled a sooner date, but was wanting that week because it's when my parents were flying over. (They were my support team since my husband was working then.)

I'm surprised the coordinator is skating around your question. I was approved quickly, even though I'd been rejected by insurance due to my BMI being under 35. I hope you're able to book a surgery date that works well for you soon, and that you have great success.

Thanks, she actually answered me today that its within a couple weeks. Im waiting for my last appeal to come back then booking. Hoping for second week of october