Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having to lose 14-20lbs before surgery

My surgeon said that I had to lose 14-20lbs before surgery.... It's such a bummer because it's HARD! I have to lose this weight before December!! Any diet suggestions on what to do daily to get there! I'm stressing because I feel like I have no control I don't wanna live like this I'm only 5'1 279lbs. I work at chic fil a and I've been staying away from that stuff but I'm sooooo tired when I get off like I literally feel this weight on me and I've never felt this way

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You got this!!! I see my doctor on Sept 9th and I am sure I will be in the same boat as you. .. I am thinking of buying the BE Protein shakes to drink as a Meal Replacement. I have already started to cut out some of the foods that I adore. I have shed a few tears over the "break up" I might add. ^_^ This is the start of your new life girlie!

@@TWW200 I did not find Protein Shakes filling before surgery. It was better for me to eat chicken breast and green veggies than drink a Protein Shake -- I found the lean meat and green veggies more filling and lower calorie than a Protein shake. So, it was much easier for me to stick with "regular" foods than to substitute with liquids. YMMV.

What do you guys think of drinking the BE Protein shakes as a meal replacement pre surgery?

I was having yogurt and fruit for Breakfast until my body decided it had enough yogurt and I couldn't gag down even a bite. I prefer food but I haven't had any ambition to make anything to bring to work with me so I grab a Protein shake (Premier Protein - 30 gms protein/160 calories) to have in the morning. I ran out so today I brought no sugar added carnation Breakfast which is pretty good (not as many gms of protein though). I eat protein/veggies for lunch and dinner.

You have 3-4 months to lose 20 pounds.

You have a BMI over 50.

You have a job, which indicates you are capable of moderate activity.

You could easily lose 2-3 times that amount of weight if you so chose to do so.

It is all about how bad you want to lose weight. Cut calories, cut carbs, eat your Protein and exercise more. It's not hard to figure out how. Not rocket science.

Most of us have been very successful in losing weight before in our lives. We just found a way to gain it back again.

The difference now......RIGHT NOW......is that you have an endgame. You know you are going to have weight loss surgery in the near future.

Push yourself hard now.....adopt the way of eating that you'll be living with the first year after surgery. Go ahead and start it now. You'll kick off the weight at a good pace and stroll into your surgery.

I won't have surgery for a few months yet, but my NUT is already having me replace one meal with a high protein/low carb shake. I do add 1/2 a banana most days to mine and make it in the blender with ice. I always drink mine for breakfast. Initially, I felt like I was starving but now I'm more satisfied. Good luck!

Hi! I am the same weight as you except I am 5'3"! I am also getting surgery in December. My doctor just told me I should be losing 15-20 pounds before we meet again in October :( So I have been in the same boat as you. I am going to download Myfitnesspal and use it- some tricks I have been doing is eating Protein first, so I start filling up on that, drinking a lot of Water, having fruits and yogurt nearby for a snack, and just being conscious of how often/the portion that I eat. Lots of luck to you! I am here if you want to chat!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was so motivated and happy to be getting the sleeve that having shakes and eating according to plan was easy. Lost about 20 lbs. I kept busy in my downtime with Bariatric Pal, planning meals, keeping a notebook of things to try, reading labels, and cleaning closets and drawers. It worked! Good luck!

@@BeautifulSharifah,

It’s tough to lose that weight. That’s why you’re looking into weight loss surgery!

But there’s hope! Have you asked your surgeon for a meal plan that can help you?

Working at Chick-Fil-A is not the best, but it could be worse. Instead of thinking about what you can’t have, what about focusing on what you can? Chick-Fil-A has a bunch of junk – fried chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets, waffle fries, Breakfast sandwiches on biscuits, and milkshakes, but they have plenty of good things, too.

You can have grilled nuggets for 140 calories and 23g Protein, a side salad with light dressing for 105 calories, a Greek yogurt parfait for 230 calories, a fruit cup for 50 calories, and more. It should be possible to grab a healthy breakfast and lunch.

Aside from Chick-Fil-A, you can focus on cutting back on unhealthy foods like sugary drinks, Desserts, and fried foods. You can also think about what you can have rather than what you shouldn’t. Think vegetables and lean Protein, with some fruit and healthy fats, and you should be able to lose some weight.

Finally, stay positive! You have a lot of reason to stick to your healthy eating plan, since the reward is weight loss surgery! Also, remember that you have plenty of time. It will probably feel like the weight is coming off so slowly, but that’s okay. You have tons of time, and can hit your goal by losing a pound a week.

Good luck!

Thanks so much everyone ur the best!! much love

@@BeautifulSharifah,

It’s tough to lose that weight. That’s why you’re looking into weight loss surgery!

But there’s hope! Have you asked your surgeon for a meal plan that can help you?

Working at Chick-Fil-A is not the best, but it could be worse. Instead of thinking about what you can’t have, what about focusing on what you can? Chick-Fil-A has a bunch of junk – fried chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets, waffle fries, breakfast sandwiches on biscuits, and milkshakes, but they have plenty of good things, too.

You can have grilled nuggets for 140 calories and 23g Protein, a side salad with light dressing for 105 calories, a Greek yogurt parfait for 230 calories, a fruit cup for 50 calories, and more. It should be possible to grab a healthy breakfast and lunch.

Aside from Chick-Fil-A, you can focus on cutting back on unhealthy foods like sugary drinks, Desserts, and fried foods. You can also think about what you can have rather than what you shouldn’t. Think vegetables and lean Protein, with some fruit and healthy fats, and you should be able to lose some weight.

Finally, stay positive! You have a lot of reason to stick to your healthy eating plan, since the reward is weight loss surgery! Also, remember that you have plenty of time. It will probably feel like the weight is coming off so slowly, but that’s okay. You have tons of time, and can hit your goal by losing a pound a week.

Good luck!

Thanks so much Alex u r truly a blessing I love it

Losing weight is hard. There's no easy way around it. They do this to make sure your not using the surgery as the solution to weight loss but using it as a tool. As well as to start changing your mindset. I had the lap band about 3 years ago and am getting a revision because of a few minor complications. What works for me is low carb, cutting sugar, and high Protein. They stressed it to me before my surgery and honestly it has worked consistently. I feel better, less bloated, fuller, and have a flatter stomach when I eat this way. No juices. I can't tolerate even diet sodas which is fine. Water is best anyway. My Fitness Pal and planning out my week of meals helps keep me disciplined. The first week is rough. Particularly day 3 and 4 when the sugar/carb "withdrawl" is was really felt for me but I got through it. I also have weights, stretchy bands, and an exercise ball at home. I try to do a few reps before I go to work and before I go to sleep to help combat loose skin and tighten up. I don't overdue it.The little sore feeling is motivation for me. I would be bringing home boxes of that chik fil a grilled chicken and premake different small mason jar salads and bring them to work with me. Or maybe that same chicken with steamed/sauteed veggies. Just different things like that that you can grab and go during the week. I work nights, am a mother, and have problems sleeping well so I AM ALWAYS TIRED. I understand your pain in that area but I try to set routines, organize, and plan which help to discipline me. Try and try again until you find what works. Good luck! Wishing you all the best!

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

Hi. Try substituting a meal with a low calorie high Protein shake. You have a few months to go which is fine. Also as your doctor or nut about any pre op diets before surgery. The one I was given to do 2 weeks before surgery I lost almost 20lbs. Look into Herbalife shakes

Hey i have a question did u use Herbalife shakes for ur pre op diet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sharifah,

I was told to lose some weight as well. It helps shrink the liver and aides in recovery time as well as making the procedure that much more successful.
I started the Baritatric program end of FEB 2018 weight at 289.. after my first visit with my nutritionist (in March) I weighed 275-276.. after eliminating sodas,juices or anything high calories and carbs. I’ve already lost quite a few lbs. I’m two appointments away from starting pre-op weighing at 260 today.. I’ve lost ‘too much’ lol for my height I’m below the required BMI to get approved so now I have to gain a pound and maintain.

You can do it! sounds like you really want this and you can make it happen just take it one step at a time. Remember to hit at least 10,000 steps a day and eating like the nutritionist is asking you to, you’ll lose weight (slowly but surely!) :)