Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP PLEASE! 15 y/o post op!

Hey JT. I HATE Protein Drinks but my doc recommended one that I really kind of like. The brand name is Premier Protein and they are ready-made drinks in cardboard bottles. They have 4 flavors I think. I have the chocolate and vanilla ones. They have 30g of Protein in them,which is awesome! Maybe you can try those if you haven't already done so. I had my bypass on Aug 4 and am still having problems with solid foods so i'm on these things now. Good luck!!

Try Protein2O - not the ones sold on their website but the new version of them. The coconut and harvest grape taste yummy and have 15g of Protein in them. Good luck!

Who carries this, Protein Water, I have looked for this and cannot find it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@DRKExpressions, Thank You so much. I'll have to check, there isn't many stores to choose from here. I'll keep my eye open for them.

I like the Premier shakes they are smooth and not gritty or thick, good luck

I know exactly what your dealing with. PC Protein Shake made me sick like dumping syndrome. Use boost diabetic, is only one that didn't make me sick, good Luck young man best of luck

Congrats on your surgery and I'm sorry you're having a hard time with the Protein. Here are some things that work for me:

I have found that GENEPRO "medical grade powder" unflavored Protein Powder is a lifesaver. I know you tried unflavored already but they are not all the same. I swear I don't work for the company -- I just found this product so helpful and versatile. It mixes into any food or drink and is, to me, completely undetectable both in terms of flavor and texture. A spoonful has 30 grams of Protein and 56 calories. Sorry - I'm pretty good at remembering protein and calories but I always have to look up sugar/carbs. I have added GENEPRO to chicken broth, cold drinks, and (I'm a few weeks out from surgery now) anything from cottage cheese to sugar free chocolate pudding. The jar directs you to online instructions on how to get the best results (mixing with a fork instead of spoon, etc). I am sensitive to grit and to added flavors and I have found this stuff to be a miracle. I ordered it from Amazon.

I like the Isopure mentioned above (it's kind of like a juice with a light almost kombucha flavor, totally clear, no grit or protein vibe). A friend of mine has a third of a bottle over ice every morning just to get an easy protein boost at the very start of the day.

And I totally agree with previous posters about the Syntrax nectar. I bet if you diluted their Roadside Lemonade with some crystal light or a stevia-based enhanced Water or, heck, just Water and a squeeze of lemon juice if that's allowed, you wouldn't be able to tell you are drinking a Protein Drink. Each Syntrax Nectar packet has 23 grams protein and 100 calories.

One last thing -- people have mentioned milk and fortified milk, which I totally agree with. I don't like the flavor of plain milk so I bought (again, Amazon) a bunch of sugar free syrups meant for flavoring coffee and cocktails. I started with a variety pack of Torani brand syrups at first and now I'm starting to try cheaper brands. I found that putting some milk together with powdered milk and ice in the blender and adding these syrups made a tasty creamy/whipped drink almost like a milkshake or frappuccino with zero protein taste. I most commonly add hazelnut, chocolate, or vanilla Syrup (or a combo of chocolate and hazelnut and I pretend it is Nutella!).

I agree with previous posters -- you will need to find a solution, and the good news is there IS a solution for you. You can even do it without premade protein shakes. Try variety packs, single servings of various shakes or puddings and also try pre-mixed individual bottles even if you've already tried the powdered version of the same brand. Texture is a big part of the equation for many people, and the premixed have very distinct textures from the powders.

GOOD LUCK and congratulations. You are not alone in any part of this struggle, especially finding ways to get your protein that you can tolerate.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by hats123