Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG you guys my hair is falling out so badly! I can't believe how much I've lost. I'm taking Biotin, upped my Protein, taking my multi-Vitamin - what else can I do.

I'm totally freaking out and need some help. Aaah, I could cry! Have any of you lost your hair? Did it grow back? How long did you lose it for? How long until it came back?

Sorry for the questions but I'm nervous and bald!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

Banded 8-16-07. This hasn't happened to me yet. My heart goes out to you...not sure what to suggest. Since you have been banded did you keep up with your Protein each day? My Dr. says you must keep up protein. Best of luck. Things should get better...

80 grams of Protein a day is what my doctor ordered. Dietary intake starts with protein first so you get that in there followed by your vegetables. Drink your Water throughout the day. A multi Vitamin supplement could help. I take Flintstone Vitamins.< /p>

Yep sure did.. I was in a panic too. There isn't really much you can do about it from all the research I've seen. My conclusion is this is what happens when your body is in shock from the surgery and losing weight quickly. I've heard all the stories..oh its the anastesia..blah blah. Let m e tell you I've had plenty of surgeries with anestesia and losing my hair has never happened. Also changing so much of your eating habits. It happened to me and seems like alot of other at around 4 months out of surgery. My morning ritual was combing my hair in the car and just throwing the hair out the window. That's how bad it was. But don't worry it does stop and does grow back. I looked like a rooster for awhile when it was growing back..lol

Cyndi, I'm sorry you are going through this, too. There are simply loads of threads about this topic, but there is one really good one that was just started recently and is quite active. WasaBB posted to it just today, I'd like to link it here, please go check it out. In a nutshell, there's not a darned thing you, me or anyone can probably do. It's going to fall out and it *will* grow back, eventually. I posted there about my horrifying experince I'm having right now, too.

I do hope this helps in some way:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f78/major-hairloss-any-suggestions-39115/

80 grams of Protein a day is what my doctor ordered. Dietary intake starts with Protein first so you get that in there followed by your vegetables. Drink your Water throughout the day. A multi Vitamin supplement could help. I take Flintstone Vitamins.

I wish this were the answer, perhaps for some it is, and they are really good suggestions, but I have been taking in at least 80-130 grams of protein daily, a MVI, Calcium supps and Biotin and it hasn't helped a bit.

Yep sure did.. I was in a panic too. There isn't really much you can do about it from all the research I've seen. My conclusion is this is what happens when your body is in shock from the surgery and losing weight quickly. I've heard all the stories..oh its the anastesia..blah blah. Let m e tell you I've had plenty of surgeries with anestesia and losing my hair has never happened. Also changing so much of your eating habits. It happened to me and seems like alot of other at around 4 months out of surgery. My morning ritual was combing my hair in the car and just throwing the hair out the window. That's how bad it was. But don't worry it does stop and does grow back. I looked like a rooster for awhile when it was growing back..lol

You're right, it doesn't seem that there is anything that can be done. But I just wanted to add that I don't hink it is with only fast weight loss, I believe it is with any significant weight loss. I found that about five or six months into my loss (at about 50 to 60 lbs gone) is when I started noticing it falling faster. So I don't think it matters if you lose 1 lbs per week, or 10, it's gonna fall out, but maybe it will fall more significantly with 10 than 1, I don't know.

My only comfort for you is that it WILL stop. I lost about 1/4 of my hair from months 4-6 and in month 6 it slowed then stopped, just as I was starting to get really petrified about the loss.

I firmly believe it's weight loss related. For me, the amount of Protein and supplements I consumed simply didn't matter.

Fortunately, it WILL stop.

All I can say is I think it happens to everyone and it will get better. When I was losing so fast the first 6 months it was horrible. I have enough hair and it's long for 4 people but it did make a mess. I had to buy one of those plug in cordless vacs for the bathroom and after I dried my hair I would have to vacumn it up. After about 9 months it has gotten better but still falls out, I don't really think there is anything to totally stop it or at least I haven't found it yet. Just give it some time and it should get some better.

Hugs,

Sherri Jo

this has got to be the thing that freaks me out the most. I am not banded yet and I think I can handle the change of diet and all of that but to me my hair is the one thing I have going for me right now. I always had short hair and right now it is sitting at my lower back and I am trying to brace myself to have to cut it once I get banded and it starts to fall out. My hair is the ONE thing that I get compliments on so its going to be very hard to lose it. but hopefully once i lose some weight I can be known for something else besides my hair

I've never heard of any bandster going bald because of it. It's just you do loose a fair amount of hair is all. And it does come back! well at least most of it in my case. See look at my picture..I'm not bald..and it's been 4 years. No worries

how are you getting 80-130 g of protien a day i have a hard time getting 50!!

how are you getting 80-130 g of protien a day i have a hard time getting 50!!

I average 1400-2200 calories a day, that's where I lose best.

I eat a lot of:

canned chicken breast 11g/svg, 2svg/small can

Greek Strained Yogurt 20g per cup

Kroger Carb Master Yogurt 12g per 6oz

Michigan 1% cottage cheese 14g/ 1/2 cup

And the occasional nectar or Matrix drinks at 24g/8oz

I started losing hair around the 4 month mark and it was really coming out for about 2 months. I have just noticed this week that I'm losing less hair so maybe it's starting to slow down.

Take Biotin and zinc. it will do that for a while then it will stop. I had a boss who complained that my hair was all over the office. I felt bad but now I could care less almost a hundred pounds lighter and my hair stopped falling out. So dont worry . What a small price to pay for the rest of your life feeling healthy and great. it will stop I promise.