Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Sleevers Who Are 5 - 10 Years Out?

Great question, I'm 22 months out and would love to hear from ones out that long!

Me too! Me too!

I am five years out as of last June.

I still have my restriction and I'm lov'n it.

I still have dumping syndrome and have come to appreciate it.

I am one week post skin surgery and am cranky. :)

What else would you like to know?

I'm so glad you responded, Valentina! I think us newbies want to hear that there are people who are still successful down the line. I know thats my biggest fear. Like, will this tool still be helping me after the first year? It's scary to think that I've gone through such a major procedure, and worked on so many habits and life changes, and the restriction will only last a short time. So to hear that you still have restriction is very reassuring.

I hope you feel better soon from your skin surgery!

Thanks for chiming in, Valentina! I appreciate it. Congratulations on your weight loss and for maintaining it!

Might I ask you how hard it's been to stay on the straight and narrow for five years? At five years in, do you feel you've pretty much conquered your food cravings and old eating habits, or is it akin to alcoholism, where you pretty much have to literally take it one day at a time for the rest of your life?

Also, might I ask how much skin you had removed and if your insurance paid for it? I understand the skin surgery is *far* more uncomfortable than the sleeve surgery, so my sympathy is with you, and I hope you recover soon, and that you might continue to report in on how that is doing, as I believe my wife will be looking into that after a year or so (as per the requirements of her insurance) ((we're going to go through the sleeve process together - we're at the stage where the surgeon has received our documentation and we hope to have our info sent to the insurance company for evaluation soon).

Again, thank you *so* much for answering - it means a lot to talk with someone who's been dealing with the effects of this drastic procedure in the long term! -Lyle Tucker

Thank you all for YOUR words of support and compassion. Yes, even at five years out, I still feel the "warmth" of compassion.

My journey is a wee bit different that most. My SO was NOT supportive and did NOT want my to have WLS. He committed suicide while I was on the operating table. When I found out, I signed myself out of the hospital and never mentioned my sleeve again until Jan.,2016. During those years I fought against my sleeve and my body and still lost 80# plus.

After years of therapy, I am back on track and have now lost over 120#. I have learned to work "with" my sleeve, to "listen" to my body and to take care of "me".

I consider myself finally finishing the journey that I started five years ago, but made a wrong left turn. :)

There are many members who can tell you all about the "good times", how to do the right things, eat the right things, how not to do this and that. Doing everything the right way--the way it is supposed to be.

That is wonderful when your life is running smoothly---which I sincerely hope it does for each and every one of you. ;)

I hope what I can offer you is that there is always a way to turn back onto the right path. Your sleeve will be there---waiting to help you---to work with you. Become best friends, work together--listen to one another.

I hope to be able to encourage folks that have for what ever reason have had their enthusiasm wilted--their rainbow's glow tarnished.

I can only speak for myself:

Grab my hand-----I will NEVER let go. I promise. :)

PS:

Anyone one of you should feel free to PM anytime. I promise not to be post op cranky for too much longer. ;)

Thanks for chiming in, Valentina! I appreciate it. Congratulations on your weight loss and for maintaining it!

Might I ask you how hard it's been to stay on the straight and narrow for five years? At five years in, do you feel you've pretty much conquered your food cravings and old eating habits, or is it akin to alcoholism, where you pretty much have to literally take it one day at a time for the rest of your life?

Also, might I ask how much skin you had removed and if your insurance paid for it? I understand the skin surgery is *far* more uncomfortable than the sleeve surgery, so my sympathy is with you, and I hope you recover soon, and that you might continue to report in on how that is doing, as I believe my wife will be looking into that after a year or so (as per the requirements of her insurance) ((we're going to go through the sleeve process together - we're at the stage where the surgeon has received our documentation and we hope to have our info sent to the insurance company for evaluation soon).

Again, thank you *so* much for answering - it means a lot to talk with someone who's been dealing with the effects of this drastic procedure in the long term! -Lyle Tucker

I find that it is not too difficult day to day to eat post sleeve surgery---even five years out. Your "Protein first then veggies" diet becomes the "norm". Your sleeve will keep you honest about your portions.

Five years out and I still have no appetite. That is not the norm, but it does happen to a few sleevers. I used to have to set my cell phone when it was time for me to eat. Once a routine is established, eating becomes easier.

Also, you will find that there are probably going to be foods that you will not be able to tolerate. 17% of all sleevers experience "dumping syndrome". I do. If I eat anything too sweet, too spicy, too rich, Pasta, rice, soft bread or it I eat too fast or too much whatever I had eaten comes back up. It's part of my life now. I look upon dumping as another tool to keep me "honest".

I look upon each day as a cheerful challenge. I have a goal at the end of the day where I have walked "x" amount of steps, eaten "x" grams of Protein, and "x" grams of carbs. How I get to those goals is completely up to me. My diet/menu is for me to control. My weight no longer controls me.

I hope I have answered your questions. If not, please to not hesitate to ask.

Take care, Friends. :)

I'd like to ask both of you if you feel you made the right decision getting the sleeve? What regrets if any? Thank you

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

I'd like to ask both of you if you feel you made the right decision getting the sleeve? What regrets if any? Thank you

That has always been a tough question for me.

Of course I regret with every cell in my body, John's suicide the morning of my WLS. I miss him every day.

But the surgery itself? No. I can not honestly say that I regret having the surgery. I needed it to stop my weight from destroying my spine and knees. My regret is that I never could get John to understand how having the surgery would only benefit our life together.

My advice? Be sure that you are strong enough to have WLS ALONE, because we never know what tomorrow will bring or who might be taken from us.

I realize that my journey is different and extreme. I wish you all a joyful WLS journey. It really can be. It's taken me five years, but now my journey is also a joyful one.

I'm happy for who you are today. I wish peace for you.

Thank you, Friend.

One day at a time.

I'm sure I'll be less cranky when I heal from this skin removal surgery. :)

This surgery is a tough one. But, I'll get there.

Valentina - thank you for your responses. I am so sorry to hear about what you had to go through emotionally to get to where you are today. I can't even begin to imagine. Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight, and thank you again for sharing with us. - Lyle Tucker

What is dumping syndrome? Sorry, I'm new. Haven't had the surgery yet or any appointments. I'm still trying to find a doctor to go to.

Thanks. :)

What is dumping syndrome? Sorry, I'm new. Haven't had the surgery yet or any appointments. I'm still trying to find a doctor to go to.

Thanks. :)

Hell on earth?

Basically.. some people's sleeves (mine included at least right now) cannot tolerate certain foods and when they eat those foods it causes immediate and severe diaherria, nausea, (and at least in my case vomitting). I'm talking where you're in front of the toilet and it's coming out both ends for several hours - at least that's my experience with it. However, you can avoid it by avoiding the foods that cause it if you ever experience it.

For instance, Right now that means I can't have any ice cream (which is very sad as I love ice cream). I dislike yogurt but I found out that I do like frozen yogurt so I've been eating that to fulfill my ice cream craving (once in a while only!) and it's made it bearable lol.

Sometimes dumping syndrome and the foods you can't eat fade over time post surgery for those who have it and sometimes they do not, but it's less common in sleeve patients than in gastric bypass patients. Foods that are likely to cause dumping syndrome include: any sugary foods or drinks, pastas, breads, rice etc.