Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

San Diego after getting Banded

Hello Bandsters --

I am going to Tijuana to get banded Sept 25th by Dr Gonzalez... I will be going to San Diego for 2 nites post op -- Does anybody have any suggestions on where to stay ?? I got a good price at the Marriott Marina but have been reading mixed reviews -- Also, I was wondering if anybody could give me insight on what to expect after surgery -- Will I be able to at least go to the zoo or Sea World - Am I expecting too much to be up to that ?? Also, should I assume I wont be able to go in the pool due to incisions ??

Thanks for any info you could provide -- !!

Hello Bandsters --

I am going to Tijuana to get banded Sept 25th by Dr Gonzalez... I will be going to San Diego for 2 nites post op -- Does anybody have any suggestions on where to stay ?? I got a good price at the Marriott Marina but have been reading mixed reviews -- Also, I was wondering if anybody could give me insight on what to expect after surgery -- Will I be able to at least go to the zoo or Sea World - Am I expecting too much to be up to that ?? Also, should I assume I wont be able to go in the pool due to incisions ??

Thanks for any info you could provide -- !!

Dear Chubbyone,

Am I correct in assuming you are self-pay,since you are getting banded in Tijuana? Have you made payment to doctor yet?I was banded in Mexico on aug7-07 and didn't have the energy to hardly fly back to D.C.Remember you will have just had open surgery-albeit laparoscopic.You will not be able to immerse your incision sites the first 15 days---showering next day is fine!write me back,i have several good motels i can reccomend.:girl_hug:

San Diego is a great city (my fave US city in fact).

i havent been there for a little over a year, but love staying on Coronado. there is a great hotel - El Cordova there - they have full kitchens, etc...

i personally wouldnt try to do anything but relax. go to the beach, maybe walk around. the zoo and sea world always poops me out.

best of luck to you and enjoy san diego!!

I can't recommend any hotels in San Diego because I stayed in Tijuana. You probably won't be able to go swimming, but you should feel well enough to go to the zoo. They have a fabulous zoo in San Diego!

i think you should try to walk a bit, but i think going to the zoo may be a bit much. i think you should stay away from crowds and stay someplace peaceful and quiet. you need to rest. the walking is good to get out the gas. but, you are not eating and you dont know for sure how you are going to feel. drink alot of Water and Protein Drinks. i felt great after my surgery. i was up walking all over. but some people are tired and ache . so plan for the worst and hope for the best. good luck.

Thanks everyone for all your responses --I do appreciate the fact you took the time to help me --- 2 weeks left for me and soo excited -

Hope all is going well with everyone and Good Luck on this journey !

I am in the process of trying to get banded and have my insurance pay. I have my dietician meeting next week. I have to see the psychologist. What kind of things do you do at these meetings? I have had a hard time eating healthy since I started thinking about banding. Has any one else went through that? I do not know if it is the stress or what but I seem like I have lost any will power I ever had.

I live in San Diego and just got done on 08/31. The couple traveling back with me stayed at Hotel Circle. It's a great central location. It's close to the zoo and also close to the airport and Sea World. Hotel Circle is just a street of the 8 Freeway that has tons of hotels. The couple I drove back with decided to go to the Zoo on Sunday (banded on Friday). I was walking around TJ the day after banding but I did get weak and dizzy easily and didn't go far. I would recommend going to the zoo because it's located at Balboa Park and there are TONS of museums and things to look at and see. It's free to roam around Balboa Park and the musuems are pretty cheap. I felt a little sore for two days in my tummy. The gas pains in my shoulder are the worst and have lessened as time goes on. I heard to lay down on my back when the pains are bad and this does seem to help. Also, Gas X is wonderful. The Lucerna in TJ is awesome! Way better than I expected. Here's a picture: (my room was on the 5th floor overlooking the pool)

lucerna-tijuana00.jpg

Liz1531 ,

Thanks for the info ! Since you live there u may be able to help me out .. I was really looking for a hotel on the Ocean ! I keep coming across the Marina and have booked at Marriott Marina but I am still searching for an Ocean front hotel w/in the same price range but I dont even know where to look for Ocean front --- ??? What am I doing wrong ? I keep finding Marina front or whatever -- Help -- :bounce:

Thanks

I am in the process of trying to get banded and have my insurance pay. I have my dietician meeting next week. I have to see the psychologist. What kind of things do you do at these meetings? I have had a hard time eating healthy since I started thinking about banding. Has any one else went through that? I do not know if it is the stress or what but I seem like I have lost any will power I ever had.

hi benson,

you may receive a better response if you post a new thread in the support thread.

If I had one place to go and I was in San Diego, I would visit Balboa Park, and see the museums. I live here in San Diego, I think you will like the Park and if you get tired, you can go back to your hotel

Good luck and enjoy San Diego's finest city.

Diane

I live in the San Diego area and there are several hotels near the Water. Does it have to be ocean or is the bay ok? Because there are several on Mission Bay like the Hilton, Catamaran, etc. Hotel Del is in Coronado. It depends on your budget. I think the zoo would be a hard day right after surgery. There is a tram that you can ride around the park, but you can't see as much that way. It is very hilly there to walk in my opinion. Sea World involves a lot of walking as well and while it is good to walk after surgery, you won't know how you feel. Just take it easy. It is a lot of money to spend to get into the park(around $50) and if you can't stay long or enjoy everything, it's not really worth it. Anyway-GOOD LUCK!!

I was banded in TJ on Aug 27th. I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights. Most patients stayed 2 nights. I was up and walking 3 hours after surgery, but that's all I had energy for. The second day i was sore and it was still difficult to get around... my IV's were still in until the late afternoon. You'll want to stay somewhere where you can be close to the doctor in case you have any questions or concerns. By day 3 I did take a cab to downtown and shopped. But, I could only hang for about an hour. I was wiped! Hope this helps!

Liz1531 ,

Thanks for the info ! Since you live there u may be able to help me out .. I was really looking for a hotel on the Ocean ! I keep coming across the Marina and have booked at Marriott Marina but I am still searching for an Ocean front hotel w/in the same price range but I dont even know where to look for Ocean front --- ??? What am I doing wrong ? I keep finding Marina front or whatever -- Help -- :bounce:

Thanks

I reccomend you stay in Mission Bay. It's a great area for tourist. There's a roller coaster at the beach and a boardwalk to cruise down with a huge variety of people. There are people jogging, skating, etc. There is a place to rent bikes, surf boards, skates and also just a great place for a walk. I have stayed at the Cattamaran which is just across from the Water. It's a bit pricey (about $160) but it's REALLY nice.

Catamaran Resort and Spa

3.5.gif

3999 Mission Blvd

San Diego, CA 92109

800-804-6835

Try going to hotels.com and search by landmark. Select Mission Beach (or maybe it's Mission Bay). They are both the same area. I Also, it's REALLY close to Sea World. The airport is not too far away and the zoo is close by. I think you'll be really happy with this location.