Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin D Deficiency

I am at the very beginning of my journey, (my first class is on 8/17), but I have known for several years that I am Vitamin D deficient. What dosage of OTC Vitamins would you recommend to start taking now so I get those levels up before surgery?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to take the Vitamin D supplement? I have heard some contradictory things like taking it at night vs. taking it in the morning, or vice versa. Taking it with/without food, and so on.

Hi,

Have you had your blood work done as of yet? If not, you can wait until your surgeon get back your blood work results and they can prescribe the correct dosage needed for Vitamin D supplements. I am taking Vitamin D now and I did not even know I was deficient. Hope this helps.

I have been taking 5000 I.U. of Vitamin D3 after my RNY surgery. After surgery, there is so many extra Vitamins that you will take, there probably isn't a wrong or right way to take these. The important thing is to have at least a 2 hour separation between the minerals Calcium and Iron. Because these two don't mix. Also the number of Calciums that you take daily need to be spaced out throughout the day.

I am at the very beginning of my journey, (my first class is on 8/17), but I have known for several years that I am Vitamin D deficient. What dosage of OTC Vitamins would you recommend to start taking now so I get those levels up before surgery?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to take the Vitamin D supplement? I have heard some contradictory things like taking it at night vs. taking it in the morning, or vice versa. Taking it with/without food, and so on.

My surgeon had is taking extra D3 starting at the very beginning of our WLS journey. Apparently, most people in the US are chronically low on D3.

I don't recall what dosage I take. It might be 5,000. I would go by what your PCP and/or surgeon recommends. I take mine in the morning at the same time I take my multi.

I was also deficient before had, it runs in my family chronically, my dad had a Vitamin D level of like 2, luckily mine was at least higher than that. I take 5000 IU a day, I get the little gel caps from costco. Since you don't know you're actual level I'd start with taking 1000 IU a day to be safe. (contradicting popular belief your Vit D level can get too high, although most peoples don't).

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The last time I had my Vitamin D checked was four years ago. It was at 13 then. I went ahead and bought 1,000 IU caplets to start off with. If I need more, I'm sure pre-surgery tests will show it, but at least the 1,000 IU will give me a good running start.

Does anyone know if a Vitamin d deficiency might prevent the surgeon from doing the sleeve? Also, how long does it take the body to recover from a deficiency once you start taking your daily Vitamin d?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

@@bia1nca1

Vitamin D deficiency shouldn't impact you getting surgery done, I've never heard that at least. It differs but it can take a few months for your level to get to a normal range, depending on how well you absorb the Vit D and how high the dose is.

I know they do a lot of pre-op lab work and assume any deficiencies are noted and dealt with. I've been on Vitamin d the last 3 months because of the deficiency and hope my level will be good before surgery. I'm waiting on insurance approval as of today. Thanks for the quick response.

Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common. It depends how low your level is to say what you should be taking. Until you know taking 2-3k units daily would probably be fine. Take it with a healthy fat such as eggs. Vitamin D is fat soluble and is absorbed better that way.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common. It depends how low your level is to say what you should be taking. Until you know taking 2-3k units daily would probably be fine. Take it with a healthy fat such as eggs. Vitamin D is fat soluble and is absorbed better that way.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good to know, taking 2k daily, shocked at how low my level was.

Mine prescribed 5000 units per day, both before and after. My level was 20.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App