Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 8/9/16 VSG update

Today, I am feeling much better than the first day out of the OR. Typically when they wheel you out of the operating room, they take you to a place called the the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), you spend a minimal amount of time as this is used to evaluate your status right out of surgery, hence the name. I got out of the OR right on time at 9:00AM, Tuesday morning. Everything was smooth sailing I thought, up until I finally left the PACU at 10:00PM that evening to finally transition to the care unit I had needed to heal in. I was extremely disappointed, but on the bright side of it all I try to remain positive. My husband was the one who got me through the ordeal and deserves the full credit of how well I recovered. In my mind, I can know remember why I attended the baratric classes and sessions. It was to prepare me for this such scenario. I remembered that I needed to focus on a few things which included walking, drinking, and peeing. Even though I was in pain and my long legs were well longer than my stretcher bed, I still needed to focus on the positive. We walked around and around the small unit and really made an impression on the staff. I finally got moved to my unit at 10PM but really wasn't behind schedule as I was doing exactly what they wanted me to do. I am in heaven as this unit was beautiful and I had my own private room. The TV and the bed actually fit my long legs! The nurses were amazing and I am thankful I'm alive to smile. Well, that's enough typing for now because I am tired now and it's time for my broth. I know that reading through the posts I felt that I wasn't alone, and the humiliation of why I was in the hospital made me feel bad about myself like it's my fault. Instead of focusing on the negative I want to empower each other and focus on what we have in common and talk about things that relate to our unique experience together. This is my goal, and I know that we will have really bad days, but we need to support each other through good and bad times. Speak to all soon, until than be kind to yourselves

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

My surgery was Wednesday. Finished up by 11, sent to PACU to be monitored. I'd say it was around 1:30 when someone came by and said my room was ready. But the nurse sitting between me and another person (I think a man) on the other side of the curtain said she couldn't leave until she monitored the man a little longer. She sat there between both of us, not moving. Eventually someone else came along and took me up. We were in an area called MICU. My room also was very nice, nice view of blue skies with big puffy white clouds, it was very relaxing. They allow family members to spend the night but I didn't want anyone there.

I wasn't able to walk around until about 11:30 as I had too many hookups, catheter, oxygen, heart, IV....and needed a nurse to help me the first couple of times, and although I tried to ask since 4 pm., they just didn't allow me until near midnight. I totally disliked the night nurse. I was having a very hard time getting out of bed and she backed up and said she couldn't help me. What a Bit***. All the other staff were wonderful. Too many people coming in and out all night taking blood sugar, blood pressure and so on. I was happy to get kicked out the next day.

My surgery was Wednesday. Finished up by 11, sent to PACU to be monitored. I'd say it was around 1:30 when someone came by and said my room was ready. But the nurse sitting between me and another person (I think a man) on the other side of the curtain said she couldn't leave until she monitored the man a little longer. She sat there between both of us, not moving. Eventually someone else came along and took me up. We were in an area called MICU. My room also was very nice, nice view of blue skies with big puffy white clouds, it was very relaxing. They allow family members to spend the night but I didn't want anyone there.

I wasn't able to walk around until about 11:30 as I had too many hookups, catheter, oxygen, heart, IV....and needed a nurse to help me the first couple of times, and although I tried to ask since 4 pm., they just didn't allow me until near midnight. I totally disliked the night nurse. I was having a very hard time getting out of bed and she backed up and said she couldn't help me. What a Bit***. All the other staff were wonderful. Too many people coming in and out all night taking blood sugar, blood pressure and so on. I was happy to get kicked out the next day.

I'm sorry to hear about your nurse. Not everyone should be in health care! It takes really patient, compassionate, and a caring demeanor to be a good nurse. I'm glad you made it out and is as happy as me to be home!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Hey we're sleeve sisters, I was sleeved Tuesday the 9th as well. I seriously miss chewing and I'm really surprised at how much of my time was consumed by food obsession. So weird.

HW 341 SW 286 CW 275 DOS 08/09/16

Hey we're sleeve sisters, I was sleeved Tuesday the 9th as well. I seriously miss chewing and I'm really surprised at how much of my time was consumed by food obsession. So weird.

Yay sleeve sisters! How are you feeling? I got scolded at my Nutrition appt today uggggh but got thumbs up from the regular post op..

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Yay sleeve sisters! How are you feeling? I got scolded at my Nutrition appt today uggggh but got thumbs up from the regular post op..

Why the scolding?

HW 341 SW 298 DOSW 286 CW 271 DOS 08/09/16

because I had peeled grapes and watermelon. I am defiant by nature. I wanted a test because I have been a fat kid mentality for 36 years. it just doesn't go away that fast you know? Since she said it was because it affected my internal healing I said , well okay that's all I need to know. Don't tell me no and not give me a reason why not. I have never eaten or had this much restraint on food until now. Basically because I am forced. I am also being honest as from start to surgery it only took me 3 months and bam here I am scratcing my head like what the hell just happened. Don't get me wrong I needed to do this , I'm just trying to take it day by day.

because I had peeled grapes and watermelon. I am defiant by nature. I wanted a test because I have been a fat kid mentality for 36 years. it just doesn't go away that fast you know? Since she said it was because it affected my internal healing I said , well okay that's all I need to know. Don't tell me no and not give me a reason why not. I have never eaten or had this much restraint on food until now. Basically because I am forced. I am also being honest as from start to surgery it only took me 3 months and bam here I am scratcing my head like what the hell just happened. Don't get me wrong I needed to do this , I'm just trying to take it day by day.

Wow eating grapes and watermelon affected your healing? How could they tell? How much have you lost so far? I think I'll be 20 lbs down by Thursday which is my follow up date. Yummy grapes. I can't wait to eat them!

HW 341 SW 298 DOSW 286 CW 271 DOS 08/09/16