Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nights and keeping on track

I'm officially 1 month post op!! And while this is awesome, and I've made a lot of changes, I have noticed something huge that is affecting me seriously. I work overnights, 7p-7a, and am having serious trouble with getting enough rest, and making sure I eat enough on my recovery day (usually I work either 2 nights back to back, or 3 back to back and then have a few days off in between, and the day after my last shift is my 'recovery day'). I am really trying to get everything I need to do on that day, but it's next to impossible unless I carry on with a night schedule. Having a toddler and husband who miss me makes the whole stay up all night and sleep all day routine a bit tough.

I've contemplated talking to work about what's going on. They know I've been wanting a daytime position for a few months now, and while they're waiting on results of a civil service promotion exam that was given in April, I feel like working nights is starting to burden and burn me out more than pre-op. This is honestly the first time I've really needed to stand up for what I need to be healthy, and I'm not quite sure what to do or how to do it. I can't afford to go part time (insurance) and I'm getting worried that sooner or later, whether due to lack of sleep or lack of self-care, I'm going to have a huge blunder at work (police and 911 dispatcher here) or during my hour long commute home.

How did you learn to stand up for what you need to be healthy?

⛵️♌️

Working all night long does bring its challenges. I work 7p-7a three nights in a row. Here is what works for me:

Before I get dressed to leave the house I eat a high Protein meal such as fish or even a 30gm Protein Shake. Then, by the time I get dressed I can drink a bottle of Water on the way into work. So by the time I arrive I already have around 20-30 grams of protein and about 20 oz of water. Then if I am really busy for a few hours I don't fall to far behind. I usually eat one meal and one or two high protein Snacks such as Greek yogurt or a Protein Bar. Usually be by second or third night I am slightly hungry becuase I have been sleeping all day and feel like I am in a food deficit. On those nights I may have an extra meal of a 3-4 oz of lean protein like fish or chicken. I try to sip water through the night. Can you have a bottle of water at your desk? That will make a big difference.

Then on my way home I drink another Protein Drink or I will wait until I get home and have scrambled eggs before going back to sleep.

It does get easier with time as you are able to drink a little faster and hold more food.

I am over two years post op and on my days off I rarely drink Protein Shakes, but I utilize them a lot on the nights I work because they are quick, easy, and pack a big protein punch.

I also try to plan ahead and on my first night back I usually cook enough for two nights- like grilled fish, salmon, baked chicken, etc. that way I have something ready to go. I even stop at a local BBQ place frequently and get smoked turkey or chicken. That's helps when I am too tired to cook.

I also log all my food and what works best for me since my schedule is crazy is I consider each day from 7a-7a. I know on the fitness pal after midnight it goes to the next day, but what I eat after midnight I log on the previous day. Seems to work for me. Others may have better suggestions.

Good luck and congrats on your surgery.

First off, thank you for the job that you do! It can't be an easy one.

My partner worked nights at a local juvenile detention center and is a bypass patient. What helped him is we planned and packed a lot of high Protein Snacks for him so it kept him from snacking on bad things and they were single serve so he could grab them and go at his desk or between rounds.

I know working nights can be tough on you and your family. Keep working towards a day shift if that's what you need to be healthy and happy.

Good luck!