Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did i really need the surgery?

@@jaysmm

I weighed 173 pounds at surgery. I'm 5'6". I was sleeved 7/22 and at day 14 I was down 11 pounds. I'm on vacation right now so I'm not weighing, but I'm not worried. I know I'm losing bc I'm sticking to plan. You're too early after surgery to be concerned with loss. Your stomach is still super swollen and you're retaining fluids. The first two weeks post-op suck. You're sore, you're hungry, weight loss is iffy (for us low BMIers).

But, stay positive. It gets WAY BETTER. I'm into my third week now. I just went to a Broadway show and enjoyed an early dinner. It was delicious. I ate the 2 oz of lobster and 3 spoonfuls of bisque. I was stuffed and happy and did NOT feel like I was missing out. Normally, on a vacation like this, I would have had said, "Becky, treat yo' self!" And had 3 glasses of wine, the bisque, a Pasta course and chocolate dessert.

Did you really need the surgery? I don't know. That's a question for yourself. Only YOU know if you were going to keep creeping up the scale only to wind up with diabetes, high BP, etc...

As for me, I'm the lowest weight/height ratio of anyone I've ever talked to or heard of so far that has been sleeved.

But I KNOW I needed the surgery.

The past week has been euphoria. Small portions, Protein first, no carbs. I can FINALLY end my disease of binge eating which is what was leading me to be completely unhealthy and would have had me at a BMI to qualify for surgery in no time.

I say, be thankful you got to do it while you're young enough not to suffer from all the other things you might have eventually had to deal with.

I also say to anyone telling low BMIers they didn't need the surgery to keep their opinion to themselves. Their negativity to someone POST OP is ridiculous. This is not something that's reversible. Everyone has their own reasons why they need this. I've lost all my weight on my own 15 times. I'm exhausted from dieting. This is a tool I needed.

#noregrets

You've got this. Get passed full liquids and you'll be fine. Weight loss will be slow. But it will be steady. This is isn't magic. It's a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by LowBMISleever

@@LowBMISleever Very well put!!! I've had family question why I had my surgery as well, and no matter what I did, I simply couldn't get the weight off. I have a nearly 2y/o toddler that is always in motion and couldn't keep up with her. Sure, I was in the smaller side compared to many others. But nearly 1 month out, I feel better than I have in many years. As you pointed out, the decision for surgery was up to my surgeon, PCP, and myself. No one else.

@@jaysmm I think your post title is really throwing people off. It seems, (or so I've read) many, if not all of us at some point feel a sort of buyer's remorse. We hear that people lose double digits in their first month- which doesn't always hold Water for those with a lower starting weight. Also, most sleeves remove up to 90% of the stomach- based on each person individually and what the surgeon and doctors this is best for that person.

It's hard to learn to take our very high expectations and put them in a box, and say goodbye to them. Self-criticism is more defeat when now is the time to get to know and love YOU for who you are. Be kind to yourself. Trust your team for making a committed decision with you. Hang strong, and know you DO have support here!!

⛵️♌️

Edited by kbuck3779

Your doing great and for people with smaller bmi they say its a slower loss but not everybody is like that and you may have been able to do it yourseld but for w.e your reason you did it and its fine you made it yay!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

@@jaysmm

I am similar height and also low BMI.

Been slim all my life till 2 years ago when I had massive, rapid weight gain. This put me in a pre-diabetic state, beginning of non alcoholic fatty liver disease and other issues.

I have been losing weight at a nice pace, not too fast, but good enough for me.

The only loose skin I notice is in my arms, everywhere else my skin is tight. Slower loss can help the skin to stay tighter.

As for hunger, I was hungry for weeks post op, till I moved into soft/mushy food.

I also had bad reflux that can mimic hunger, so I was put on Nexium, and that helped.

In my opinion, for me, the surgery helped to stop developing complications and now my glucose levels are great and my liver is healthy.

Hang in there, it gets better with time :)

I also felt hungry all the time when I was 5 days post op. This didn't change for me until I progressed to pureed foods. I think having liquids only was the cause of the hunger. Now 3 mos post op I'm rarely hungery, rather I have to remind myself to eat.

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb and i feel hungry all the time.

The doctor has only removed 65% of my stomach.

So what do you guys think? Is it normal that i'm not losing as i was expecting. Plus has anyone done the surgery with the same weight and height as i am.

I have 52lb to lose to reach my goal.

Frankly, I can't believe you found a doctor who would actually do the surgery. That is a low BMI. Yes, at 22 you could have done it yourself and kept it off. Maybe not 52 pounds, but 35? You'd be 155. That's a great weight.

"Yes, at 22 you could have done it yourself and kept it off". I feel like this comment is pretty hypocritical. Regardless of age, if we could do it ourselves we wouldn't have resorted to surgery. I'm now 33 and have been doing it myself for 10 years, losing, gaining, losing etc. Why not do it now so she can save herself the heart ache of going through what so many of us have gone through for 10, 20, 30+ years?

Hello guys,

I'm 22 years old my weight was 185 and my height is 5'5. Im 5 days post-op and have only lost 5.5lb and i feel hungry all the time.

So what do you guys think? Is it normal that i'm not losing as i was expecting. Plus has anyone done the surgery with the same weight and height as i am.

Frankly, I can't believe you found a doctor who would actually do the surgery. That is a low BMI. Yes, at 22 you could have done it yourself and kept it off. Maybe not 52 pounds, but 35? You'd be 155. That's a great weight.

"Yes, at 22 you could have done it yourself and kept it off". I feel like this comment is pretty hypocritical. Regardless of age, if we could do it ourselves we wouldn't have resorted to surgery. I'm now 33 and have been doing it myself for 10 years, losing, gaining, losing etc. Why not do it now so she can save herself the heart ache of going through what so many of us have gone through for 10, 20, 30+ years?

I said that because IF she can keep that off then that would always be preferable to surgery, with its possible risks and complications. And, she asked. Hypocritical? No. It would be hypocritical if I had similar stats to hers. I don't. I am much older and have a lot more weight to lose.

well....I would say if you were under 200 lbs and 5'5" I personally think you did NOT need surgery at all. Your starting weight is my GOAL weight.

The lower your starting weight is obviously the slower your loss will be.

Same.... My goal,weight is 175!

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

Hello guys,

I said that because IF she can keep that off then that would always be preferable to surgery, with its possible risks and complications. And, she asked. Hypocritical? No. It would be hypocritical if I had similar stats to hers. I don't. I am much older and have a lot more weight to lose.

Well hey, at one point you weren't as old as you are now and probably could've lost the weight and kept it off too, like ANYONE at ANY age can, but most of us can't successfully maintain. We've all tried. I've already heard enough of this from the ONE friend I told about planning to get surgery that I've decided not to tell anyone else.

I don't want to hear any more from people about how this is too extreme, or how I'm "giving up on myself", I'm trying to get control of the situation before it gets MORE out of hand. If I'd had the surgery 5 years ago maybe I wouldn't weigh 230 lbs and be suffering from joint pain and other problems I didn't plan on having at age 35.

To the OP, this is a personal decision and I already fully expect to go through a "why did I do this?" period. I think it's probably pretty normal. :)

Sophie74656, on 05 Aug 2016 - 11:06, said:snapback.png

well....I would say if you were under 200 lbs and 5'5" I personally think you did NOT need surgery at all. Your starting weight is my GOAL weight.

The lower your starting weight is obviously the slower your loss will be.

Same.... My goal,weight is 175!

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

Well that's you 2 and not her. You have no idea what other problems she has, what her body fat ratio is, or what her dieting or medical history contains. I've already heard comments like this on this board and I'm OBESE! I cannot for the life of me understand why other people who ALSO chose this option would be judgmental. It's not a competition, let her get on with her success and you can have your own different goals.

I'm not being judgemental at all! SHE asked our opinion and we gave it.

The title of the post was do you think I needed weight loss surgery?

She wanted to be much smaller and good for you darling. I don't think it's a bad thing .... You do your thing.

Edited by tammylynnwoods