Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most worried about ...

Craziest thing ... You would think I'd most be worried about valid things like pain after surgery, worrying it won't work, worrying it will work too good and I'll lose too much and the list goes on - I certainly have thought of all that and more but the closer my date comes and every time I eat out I wonder how I'm going to pull this off! What I mean is that I have to attend a lot of luncheons, events, business dinners, etc. I've chosen to tell only my immediate family. My first issue will be a convention about 3 weeks out from surgery. How am I going to eat meals with the people I'm going with?! Suggestions? The only thing I can come up with is that I have a stomach virus and just "eat" in my room. I'll need to carry food with me or go shopping when I get there I'm sure,

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also have told no one but my immediate family...

But at 3 months out, you can't really tell... just looks like i eat small portions.. I've been to work and social events, dinners, funeral, engagement... i survived by saying i was doing low carb high Protein... its believable and no one questions.

Excuses for 3 weeks out is difficult.. especially if you are on liquid..

Some excuses..

- you are not hungry

-you are on a diet

-you are observing a religious fasting ritual

-stomach bug

-doing a fast for charity

-on a liquid juice fast to loose weight

Thats all i can think of right now... maybe others have a more imaginative excuse.

LMAO about the comment about "it working too good and I'll loose too much". If only that was the case. Hilarious.

Just tell 'em you've been queasy from stomach bug. At 3 weeks you'll be on a very limited menu. Order Soup.

You will probably be pleasantly disappointed that no one is really paying attention to what you eat.

@@NewAdventure2016 - I had to go to a business conference for a couple of days while I was on liquids. I just told the banquet staff, all I want is soup...and I'm sitting here. They took care of it. No one at the table mentioned it. With so many people on different diets because of food allergies or they are intolerant to various fools no one wants to mention it these days.

Craziest thing ... You would think I'd most be worried about valid things like pain after surgery, worrying it won't work, worrying it will work too good and I'll lose too much and the list goes on - I certainly have thought of all that and more but the closer my date comes and every time I eat out I wonder how I'm going to pull this off! What I mean is that I have to attend a lot of luncheons, events, business dinners, etc. I've chosen to tell only my immediate family. My first issue will be a convention about 3 weeks out from surgery. How am I going to eat meals with the people I'm going with?! Suggestions? The only thing I can come up with is that I have a stomach virus and just "eat" in my room. I'll need to carry food with me or go shopping when I get there I'm sure,

A few other suggestions (not necessarily excuses, but strategies):

• There are some restaurants (like the Cheesecake Factory) that have awesome Small Plate/Appetizer menus. Those are great for us bariatric patients.
  • I've found out a few of my friends have also had bariatric surgery - so our strategy when we go out to eat is to order a meal and split it
  • My doctor provided a bariatric patient card which informs the restaurant that I am a bariatric patient and to allow me to either eat off the kids menu or order a half portion of a full entree. I didn't use it at first, but in the last 6 months I've began using it a lot. I've never had a restaurant give me a hard time.
  • I've also used the "I ate before I came here so I'm not that hungry/Stomach bug/etc." when needed, but usually one of the first three bullets works.

Are you on the pre-op diet or post op? The reason I ask - if you're on that lovely liquid preop diet, make sure you carry multiple shakes with you everywhere you go. I was out one night with my mother and ran out of shakes while I was on the preop diet - and it was NOT pretty. I had a tantrum like a 3 year old behind a chicken wing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would agree that saying you are on a high Protein diet is a good excuse. I doubt you will have to tell anyone other than the waiter. I do a lot of events, and people's dietary issues make it something that most menus can accommodate.

If you happen to luck out because of over-dressed pre-plated items, Soup is a good alternative or just eat the Protein on your plate. Breakfast I would look for yogurt.

LMAO about the comment about "it working too good and I'll loose too much". If only that was the case. Hilarious.

Just tell 'em you've been queasy from stomach bug. At 3 weeks you'll be on a very limited menu. Order Soup.< /p>

Yeah, hoping someone would catch my sarcasm, Lol .... On another note, just looked back over your progress and your story. Very impressive! What are your stats now? Still losing? You've worked hard. I hope to grow up and be you ;) .. Well, except I'm not a man.

• There are some restaurants (like the Cheesecake Factory) that have awesome Small Plate/Appetizer menus. Those are great for us bariatric patients.
  • I've found out a few of my friends have also had bariatric surgery - so our strategy when we go out to eat is to order a meal and split it
  • My doctor provided a bariatric patient card which informs the restaurant that I am a bariatric patient and to allow me to either eat off the kids menu or order a half portion of a full entree. I didn't use it at first, but in the last 6 months I've began using it a lot. I've never had a restaurant give me a hard time.
  • I've also used the "I ate before I came here so I'm not that hungry/Stomach bug/etc." when needed, but usually one of the first three bullets works.

Are you on the pre-op diet or post op? The reason I ask - if you're on that lovely liquid preop diet, make sure you carry multiple shakes with you everywhere you go. I was out one night with my mother and ran out of shakes while I was on the preop diet - and it was NOT pretty. I had a tantrum like a 3 year old behind a chicken wing. :lol::lol::lol:

That's hysterical! I'm actually still pre-op currently ... Date set for 8/30, but have a business trip 9/21 so I'll be 3 weeks out so mostly still liquid/broth/protein/mushy, etc.

@@NewAdventure2016 - well the plus is at that point you can grab a "muscle milk" Protein shake at nearly any vendor at the airport. $4 and you have 30% of your Protein for the day. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but once in a while, it keeps you going.

Are you on the pre-op diet or post op? The reason I ask - if you're on that lovely liquid preop diet, make sure you carry multiple shakes with you everywhere you go. I was out one night with my mother and ran out of shakes while I was on the preop diet - and it was NOT pretty. I had a tantrum like a 3 year old behind a chicken wing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hysterical! I'm actually still pre-op currently ... Date set for 8/30, but have a business trip 9/21 so I'll be 3 weeks out so mostly still liquid/broth/protein/mushy, etc.

Good luck with your surgery :)

Just tell 'em you've been queasy from stomach bug. At 3 weeks you'll be on a very limited menu. Order Soup.

Yeah, hoping someone would catch my sarcasm, Lol .... On another note, just looked back over your progress and your story. Very impressive! What are your stats now? Still losing? You've worked hard. I hope to grow up and be you ;) .. Well, except I'm not a man.

Thank you. Still got a good bit to lose and have been in a holding pattern the past few weeks. Been nursing some knee issues and zero cardio outside of my job.

It's been a good life change for me and I'm very glad to have made the move. It's been very straightforward.

You're gonna do great with this.

Most people could care less what you eat. They will be eating and not caring. Just tell them whatever you want...this is your life and you dont owe anyone an explanation. One gal said she just moved foid around on her plate and no one even knew the difference. Get creative and good luck. It is all about you now!!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I think people will care far less than you're giving them credit for, but if you're really worried just order somethin that has a Protein (fish, meat etc), take a few bites, and move the rest around your plate a bit until everyone else is done. It's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Edited by perforce

It's not that I really care what people are thinking - it was more that I'm sitting at the table with nothing to do. Does that make sense? I like the suggestions of just saying I already ate or I'm not hungry. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!