Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I had WLS/ vertical sleeve this past September.

Four months later, in January, my hair began to shed.

I knew that this happens, so I tried to just stick it out and not focus on it.

It's now 7 months since the shedding began and my hair is coming out with a vengeance.

I went from a big healthy head of hair to very thin hair with actual completely bare spots.

I cut it short, take Vitamins, try to eat very well, but no improvement.

Has anyone had this experience? Can anyone offer any advice?

I don't know what to do.

Would appreciate some input.

Thanks!!!

Dina

60-80 grams.

I had trouble keeping it down early on, but at this point--I don't know why it won't stop.

I run my hair through my hair at any given time (without pressure) and a handful of hair stays behind.

I don't know how to get it to stop.

I can't speak to having gone through this, but I can share the products that I have looked into for both prevention (arguable if possible) and restoration. I am using all or some now to at least contribute to thicker hair so IF i lose it, maybe it won't be so dramatic. There are a couple of good you tubers that discuss this topic as well if you search.

First, Biotin seems to be relatively accepted as "possibly" helping.

collagen and Keratin seem to have less research, but from my perspective what can it hurt?

These items I would suspect have more to do we helping regrowth: PHYTO has stress/weight loss hair serum, Pure d'or Hair thinning Shampoo, and rogain for women.

Good luck!

Marine collagen helped my hair tremendously. I ordered a powdered version from Amazon and added it to a bottle of flavored water everyday.

I also drink bamboo tea (high in silica) daily and that has helped my hair too.

Hair loss has slowed way down to almost normal and it is softer, shinier, and stronger with less breakage.

I"m having this issue right now, same as what you describe, i've started taking Biotin every day and using nioxin shampoo/conditioner.

I have been a hairdresser for 23 years, and I have been through this in the past when I lost 50 pounds in 3 months time. If you have long hair, a few strands can look like lot!! Also, we naturally lose around 50 strands a day. I would suggest you definitely take either Biotin or a skin, hair and nails Vitamin. There is also a recipe where you can mix Vitamin E oil, castor oil and tea tree oil together and rub it on the scalp. You can probably find that if you do your research. I'll look for it later tonight though. Your hair will grow back, trust me, it will!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well I can't find it. There are a lot of recipes out there

I would mix 2-3 drops of the tea tree, castor oil and the Vitamin E along with a couple of TB spoons of coconut oil (warmed up). You can either take a cotton ball and apply it to the scalp then massage in and pull through the ends with a wide comb, or mix a bigger amt. and use a spray bottle to apply in the same manner (1-2 times a week).

Shampoos and conditioners contain a lot of Water. They clean, but don't do much for nourishment. hair grows at 1/2" per month on average. It's going to take a few months before you notice it's thicker at the scalp. There are no miracle products out there. If there was, George Costaza wouldn't be bald, LOL!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Hretan01

Thank you so much all for the responses and suggestions.

I appreciate it a lot. I'll try them and look forward to Hair loss stopping soon.

Xo

Dina

I have the same issue but it has gotten better. My doctor told me to up my Protein to 100 grams a day and I seriously thought he had lost his mind but he was RIGHT! Now, when I fall below 100 (like around 80) my hair starts to fall out again.

So, I would suggest getting to a 100 grams and see if that helps.

Whoa! That's a ton of protein! How did you get it in?

I'm doing a hair loss experiment with my surgery. Other than the first 2 days of Clear liquids, I've never consumed under 90g of Protein. Now I'm up to 100g and I won't go below that. I also got a keratin treatment 13 days post op (protein treatment for your hair). I'm taking all my Vitamins as prescribed. I'm also going to use olaplex conditioner daily to promote growth and stop breakage.

I've got a few months to go to see if my experiment works or fails, but be assured I'll let you know then!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Please do let me know....I'm still interested in how you gals are getting in 100mg, Protein Powder?