Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Diet Coke has been laid to rest........

Good Morning All,

I met with the dietitian for the 1st time yesterday. She was awesome! She gave me a list of goals that I have to have met before I meet her again next month. No more carbonated beverages (goodbye to my BFF, Diet Coke), no alcohol (no problem), work toward eliminating caffeine, 1 Protein Shake a day and DIET, DIET, DIET! She told me I need to lose around 10-15 lbs before surgery but I can't lose more than that or I'll be below 35 BMI. This is going to be tricky! The diet is very strict and I don't see how I will only lose 10-15 lbs. I feel completely motivated! What a great way to break the Diet Coke and sugar habit! I know it won't be easy and I already warned my husband that I may get cranky, but I CAN DO THIS!

Actually, when giving up the diet cokes you may find that you have an easier time dropping the 10-15 pounds than you thought.

Weaning yourself off of carbonation and caffeine, drinking LOTS of Water, getting in enough Protein, and eating a lot of non starchy vegetables and avoiding starches may be all the "dieting" you need to do.

I too can only lose 10 pounds or I won't qualify. The problem is I have to wait 6 months so I have to only maintain a 10 lb weight loss but they put me on the pre op Protein diet so how can I only lose 10 lbs ?? Anyone else have this issue??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

On the tricky part, I meant it will be hard to ONLY lose 10-15lbs, with all these restrictions. I'm sure I will lose 10 pretty easily. I'm on the same pre op Protein diet. I'm glad I have a few months to get my self in the habit of this new lifestyle!

I was a regular coke drinker. I had to quit cold turkey. No other way for me.

I quit Diet Pepsi cold turkey. Best decision ever. I feel SO much better since moving away from it. I think it was contributing to my feeling sluggish and tired all the time. And not drinking it seems to be changing my taste buds!

I've quit cold turkey too. I switched to unsweet tea today. After I'm over the death of my Diet Coke, I'll start reducing to Decaf. That will be a process, as well. I can't function with caffeine withdrawl.

I am sorry for your loss....I can totally comiserate. Giving up Diet Coke has been my biggest struggle.

I really hate the fact that they "limit" your pre-op weight loss. Personally I think that sets the wrong example, but I understand the hoops that the insurance companies make you jump through. I was cash-pay so luckily didn't have to go through this, but I feel for you because if it were so easy to "control" the amounts of weight we lose....we wouldn't need the surgery in the first place!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyhow at least it doesn't sound like you have to wait a year like some have...so there's that. Best of luck to you...hope it all works out!!!

Edited by smg

Good Morning All,

I met with the dietitian for the 1st time yesterday. She was awesome! She gave me a list of goals that I have to have met before I meet her again next month. No more carbonated beverages (goodbye to my BFF, Diet Coke), no alcohol (no problem), work toward eliminating caffeine, 1 Protein shake a day and DIET, DIET, DIET! She told me I need to lose around 10-15 lbs before surgery but I can't lose more than that or I'll be below 35 BMI. This is going to be tricky! The diet is very strict and I don't see how I will only lose 10-15 lbs. I feel completely motivated! What a great way to break the Diet Coke and sugar habit! I know it won't be easy and I already warned my husband that I may get cranky, but I CAN DO THIS!

Hi AAGB

Good Morning All,

I met with the dietitian for the 1st time yesterday. She was awesome! She gave me a list of goals that I have to have met before I meet her again next month. No more carbonated beverages (goodbye to my BFF, Diet Coke), no alcohol (no problem), work toward eliminating caffeine, 1 Protein Shake a day and DIET, DIET, DIET! She told me I need to lose around 10-15 lbs before surgery but I can't lose more than that or I'll be below 35 BMI. This is going to be tricky! The diet is very strict and I don't see how I will only lose 10-15 lbs. I feel completely motivated! What a great way to break the Diet Coke and sugar habit! I I

Hi AGB, you can totally do this! AGB,, I'm nine post op days, and I'm serious-i haven't had one, i mean not one craving for either sugar or diet coke! I LOVE diet coke. I figure things may change, who knows, but how long does it take to withdraw from sugar and caffeine? I think I may have passed the point where it really sucks to go without. I loves me some candy...and I haven't even thought about it. instead i think of meat, lots of rare, red meat...Also, Kaiser in California will not penalize you if you exceed your pre op weight loss goals. Seriously, it would be counter productive to ask you to regain weight that you've lost so you can still qualify for your surgery. That's some bass ackwards thinking. My kid is studying philosophy and he says it's a conundrum. :))) Our problems are rarely taking it off; we struggle with keeping it off. You have a better chance, in my humble opinion, to live your life obesity free with the surgery. have you asked the medical folks about this? I remember being kind of scared of their power even tho' they were nice and supportive.

Hey- congrats on getting off DC- I used to drink 70 oz a day at least! I started by just stopping on the weekends when I didn't have to work. Then I stopped completely on a Monday and just drank a lot of Water. I miss it, still crave it sometimes, but it is better for you in the long run. Best of luck!

I've had a stomach bug the past 2 days so it's been easy not craving it. I'm so determined that I think I will win this. I do know I will still have the cravings though. Congrats on your success of getting rid of the bad stuff too.

I quit cold turkey and not had diet or regular soda in more than 12 years, luckily I did not have to give up my unsweetened iced tea. My program allows unsweet tea and black coffee.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

UPDATE: 2 weeks Diet Coke free!! I'm quite proud of myself. Also, 3 days caffeine free. Breaking myself from the DC was easier than planned. I had a stomach bug for almost a week and I had no desire for it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations on overcoming your Diet Coke obstacle. I started tapering off of them July 5. Now, I will only have one when we are out of the house or I am traveling for work. I know I will have to give it up completely after the surgery, but in all likelihood, that will just have to happen then and I will have to deal with it. I can give up alcohol; I can give up carbs; I can even give up cable, but giving up Diet Coke is the hardest challenge of all!