Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery but didn't have surgery

Hi all! I need help and support. I was scheduled to have WLS on 02/1/13. During the surgery the surgeon couldn't get the ports placed correctly (after the second try) and had to pull out. They decided not to continue, sewed me up and sent me on my way. I have the port scares and still had to go through the post op healing, but didn't have anything to show for it. It was humiliating and depressing. I put myself and my family through a lot. Since then I have gained 40 more pounds and am now tipping the scales at 475. I'm 5'3.

It's now 3 years later and I am considering going through it again (well hoping to have a surgeon complete their work). I know this is ultimately my decision but would you go through it again?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow. How awful to wake up to find your surgery wasn't completed! Why weren't they able to complete it?

Will you be using a different surgeon? I'd definitely do it again if the surgeon felt confident that things would go smoothly this time around. Another surgery is a small price to pay for a lifetime of health.

Best wishes to you!

Yes but I would probably investigate different types of surgery that do not require a port, since that seemed to cause trouble with the first attempt.

I sorry that happened. At your weight/height I've heard of case were laparoscopic surgery isn't doable-- but I thought they would just convert to an open procedure. I think it's absolutely worth it to try again-- if you can find a new surgeon and discuss options is lap surgery won't work again. I'd also encourage working on Weight loss now to help make surgery Problem free.

During the surgery the surgeon couldn't get the ports placed correctly (after the second try) and had to pull out...... It was humiliating ....now tipping the scales at 475. I'm 5'3.

It's now 3 years later and I am considering going through it again... I know this is ultimately my decision but would you go through it again?

To answer your question: Yes. And I did, though the circumstances were different. My band was placed on a Monday afternoon and I was scheduled to go to radiology the next morning for esophagram (a.k.a. "barium swallow"). I was fine for the rest of Monday sipping Clear liquids and whatever else I may have been given. Tuesday, though, the moment I tried to swallow the barium, it came back up. It was fortunate that my medical plan had required the overnight stay to qualify for coverage. For the rest of Tuesday I tolerated no Clear Liquids. I made liberal use of the self-administered painkiller thingie. My surgeon, whose reputation was solid, couldn't explain for sure, but thought that there was either internal swelling that would go down or that there may have been enough fat on the non-visible side of the stomach to make the band much too tight. She recommended waiting a couple of days to see if the problem self-corrected. On Tuesday my feeling was "Get this thing out of me and let me go home." By Wednesday, I thought, "After all this, there is no way in hell that I'm leaving this hospital without a band." Thursday afternoon came, but no improvement. The surgeon slotted us for the OR on Friday, when she replaced my 10CC-capacity band with a 14. It was great and I went home Saturday after a successful esophagram.

As you say, the decision is yours and some of your comments lead me to suggest a couple of things. There were no grounds for you to have felt "humiliated." You did nothing to feel that way. You've waited more than three years to even consider new surgery. If you are leaning toward it -- and you seem to be, hence your being here -- by all means begin the steps. At the same time I think you can benefit if you see a therapist or even a life coach (not that I'm positive about what a life coach does) for a while before going into an OR. Sorting out some emotions and the past event may send you on your way with a positive outlook. It will, in turn, also prepare you to pass the psych eval.

Deciding which surgery best suits your body and goals is another factor to explore.

Clarify one thing, please. You imply that you have the band in place and that only the port is absent. Is that correct? Or did you just mean that you want to wake up in recovery with a proper surgery?

Talk to a surgeon about what is the best option for you. Not to be an alarmist but your health is at tremendous risk at your size. I would absolutely consider WLS "again". There's nothing at all to be humiliated about - the surgery couldn't take place - that's not your fault.

I am so sorry to hear you have had such problems. Personally if I were you I would try again with perhaps a different surgeon and I would suggest looking at one of the other surgeries like sleeve, bypass or duodenal switch.

Because of your size you would want to look at a surgery that is going to allow you the safest surgery that is going to give you the best chance to get to a healthy weight.

This is just my opinion but I would do it even if it meant having an open bypass, sleeve or DS.

I wish you the very best of luck and I really hope you are on the road to a healthier life soon. I never would have believed life could be so much better until I had bypass.

Thank you all soooooo much! I am going to go to another surgeon that my friend went to. He is supposed to be Fantastic and be an expert on "difficult" cases. I guess I would be classified as difficult (story of my life). I'm not sure how to reply directly to people just yet so to clarify for someone who asked. I didn't have the band, sleeve or bypass. I was set to have the bypass and went into the operating room and was put under anesthesia. When I woke up I was advised that I didn't have surgery because the ports they use to feed to laparoscopic tools in was not placed properly. They tried 2 times and then decided not to do it. It was so awful! So awful! But I have been seeing a therapist for 2 years and we are working on trauma, depression and compulsive overeating... See I'm difficult !

Edited by Tslife777

Thank you all soooooo much! I am going to go to another surgeon that my friend went to. He is supposed to be Fantastic and be an expert on "difficult" cases. I guess I would be classified as difficult (story of my life). I'm not sure how to reply directly to people just yet so to clarify for someone who asked. I didn't have the band, sleeve or bypass. I was set to have the bypass and went into the operating room and was put under anesthesia. When I woke up I was advised that I didn't have surgery because the ports they use to feed to laparoscopic tools in was not placed properly. They tried 2 times and then decided not to do it. It was so awful! So awful! But I have been seeing a therapist for 2 years and we are working on trauma, depression and compulsive overeating... See I'm difficult !

Like other's have said, yes I'd have the surgery again....but now knowing the information above, I'd make sure the new surgeon has all your records including the operative report from the first try....that way he'll have all the information he needs to determine if he'll be able to work around whatever issues were encountered during the first try. It's important for the new surgeon to know what the cause was for the failed surgery.....incorrect placement of the ports to me as an untrained person just sounds like there had to have been something else......why were they not placed correctly?....Hopefully, the operative report will make things clear to the new surgeon.

Please keep us informed on how it goes and good luck!

I agree with the responses above! Please go through with the surgery again, your health depends on it. Start changing your routine, include diet and exercise. A plus for you is... The more weight you have, the more pounds you shed early on. A 4-5 fifteen minute walks will head you down on the scale for sure! Most of us can relate to the emotional eating (at least I can) so I understand that struggle. Lastly you have a huge team behind you (all of us) rooting for you! Keep posting, keep sharing. I'm sure someone will always be available to help you through!

If you haven't done so already... I encourage you to read The Power of Habit! It's a powerful book that breaks down habit formation & how to overcome the negative ones and replace with positive habits.

Best of wishes to you!

... the ports they use to feed to laparoscopic tools in was not placed properly. They tried 2 times and then decided not to do it. It was so awful! So awful! But I have been seeing a therapist for 2 years and we are working on trauma, depression and compulsive overeating... See I'm difficult !

Thanks for explaining. Having a band myself and not knowing that ports (the plural was puzzling) are used during bypass surgery, I just expected you were talking band. I'm glad you're going to consult another surgeon. You're not difficult; you're a person with accessories. All the best to you.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I've heard that the sleeve is much less complicated than bypass. Though, I don't know what kind of insurance you have. Some insurances won't cover the sleeve, and will only cover the bypass; not sure why.

I would definitely try for the surgery again. 475 pounds is extremely worrying and very detrimental to your health. I'm 249 pounds right now, and even I am risking a lot by being this big. You should never feel ashamed. I think that anyone who can get to your size must have a thyroid problem. In my opinion, it seems impossible to be that size by just eating alone. Something isn't right with the body when it allows itself to get to that size. So, it isn't your fault. I see now where you said you are going to see another surgeon. I am so happy about that! Please keep us updated. <3