Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies I need your advice regarding 'Periods' (sorry gents)!

I'm on day 3 of the pre op liver reduction diet. My bypass is booked for 11th August. I've just started my period today. I can be on my period for anything up to 10-14 days and heavy.

What will I do if I'm still on my period when it comes to the day of surgery?

I'm scared that although I'm taking my multi Vitamin and mineral tablets that being on my period whilst only consuming yogurt my body won't cope and I'll become anaemic.

Any advice ladies? X

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

They will still go ahead with the surgery.... it will just be uncomfortable for you.

You should be okay post surgery, however if you have a history of anemia, buy yourself an liquid Iron or liquid multi to take post surgery

I'm scheduled to have surgery and my cycle start on the same day. The more stress, the faster it starts. You will not be alone going through this dilemma. The odds are with the surgeons to pick a non-cycle day but sometimes they lose the lottery too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you want to extend your cycle, they say taking 100mg of Vitamin B6 daily can extend it by a week or two

@@Kernowgirl You are likely to urinate when anesthetized. I wouldn't wear nickers... They have ways of dealing with it without ruining your stuff. Talk to the nurses. Tell them your predicament and make a plan from there. If you wear them then make sure they are a pair you do not care about and are willing to throw away!

Edited by Shrinkinqtpi

I started my period the day of my surgery and they gave me mesh panties and a pad to wear, when I woke up from surgery I had a catheter, so I was told no pants or my own panties....

Thank you ladies. Also strange question. Are you allowed to wear pants (knickers) during the operation? I've heard different things?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

No - unless you have your period they will probably give you a lovely paper pair with a pad.

I had mine as well and was given mesh panties and a gigantic pad which they wanted me to remove just prior to going in for the procedure. They are used to that part of it. Unless anemia has been an issue in your past I wouldn't be concerned, if it's something you e had to treat before I'd let your surgical team know.

I had mine as well and was given mesh panties and a gigantic pad which they wanted me to remove just prior to going in for the procedure. They are used to that part of it. Unless anemia has been an issue in your past I wouldn't be concerned, if it's something you e had to treat before I'd let your surgical team know.

They let me wear my panties during surgery as I had my period

They took them off during surgery and put them back on after

I wouldn't have known except how askew they were when I went to the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was on my period day of surgery. They did not let me wear a pad or tampon. No panties either. They said they would put down some chucks.