Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB etiquette

Well, to be fair, it's not always "up to you". There are lots of factors that play into a PB, only *one* of which is chewing your food well. A year and a half out and I can still PB on Soup if I've eaten very salty things and have gained Water weight, or if I'm nearering my period, even Water won't go down. SOmetimes, nature just doesn't cooperate with you. ;)

On the public PBing...I cannot count how many times I've done that! Like you, kity, I lived in NYC during the first year of my band. Thank GOD NYC is so big and there are so many places to bring up and spit out food with little worry of being noticed. I've spit into garbage cans, off subway platforms, into gutters and alleys, etc. Plus, with all the people who have alcohol and drug dependancies in the city, puking in public isn't so uncommon (unfortunately)...if anyone looks at me funny, I just mutter "morning sickness, sorry..." and go on my merry way! :)

The majority of time it is up to us. If someone is so tight they can't get their own spit down and keep it down, they need to do something about that. If eating salty foods is going to make you so tight you can't keep soup down then don't eat salty things. If you do, just know what the end result might be and that could also ultimately result in a slip.

So I guess I am of the opinion that the vast majority of times, it is indeed us.

Thank goodness I've never PB'd. I've had to have some emergency spit sessions in the bathroom, but have never brought anything up that's went down. We are all so different.

Just the thought of trying to vomit around the band scares the heck out of me! I've slimed a few times when I've eaten too quickly or failed to chew properly but I have yet to experience a real vomit since being banded. I certainly don't look forward to it. I'm almost at good restriction (as opposed to occasional restriction) and I am getting another fill next week. I'm very apprehensive but restriction is what I got into this whole project for. So here goes.

Don't be worried about sporadically PBing in front of people without warning. I KNOW that something isn't going to work for me just a few seconds after I swallow it. Plus, this should be a once-in-a-blue-moon sorta thing anyway. If someone is PBing on a regular basis then their band is not properly adjusted or they might not be following the rules well enough. I never worry about it and when it does happen you just do your best to spare others from witnessing it!!

I had to PB on a bus at Disney. I opened my backpack, I had ponchos in a ziplock bag. I dumped the ponchos and pb'd into the ziploc bag. No one noticed, or if they did nothing was said. I closed the bag then closed my backpack. It was hot, I was over tired, and possibly a bit dehydrated. Everything seemed to have gone down fine. It may have even been throw-up and not a PB, but it hit me all at once. If something has not worked I usually know right away, but have time to make it to a bathroom. Also I seem to have more problems when my sinus issues flare up in the fall from mold allergies. ~Mandy

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I don't think the morning sickness would work (I am 52) It is just that I can never tell what will work on any given day. Some days I am so tight IPB anything and everything. Then tonight I was able to eat quite a bit for dinner with no problem. Also my weightloss has been very slow. Lately I am stepping up the exercise a lot so I hope I see some better results. I have a fill appointment next week..should I get one? I am going to Thailand at the end of September for two weeks and would hate to spend the whole trip pbing.