Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB etiquette

Ok, so what do you guys do when you are in public and have to PB? The other day I was walking down the street (and this is in NYC) and I had to PB into the street right out in public, then I grabbed a cab to try to make it back toi my apartment and had to PB out the window of the cab. this is all way too embarrassing for me, and I cannot predict when it will happen..all I had eaten was Soup. My husband says I should buy some kind of barf bags and keep one in my purse for emergencies. Living in the city I do not always have access to a bathroom (and often there are long line)..any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Magnolia

I usually have a bottle of Water or a cup with something to drink in it. I have dumped the drink out and used the cup or water bottle in public when this has happened to me. I have really been trying to drink plenty of water and seem to always have a drink handy anyways.

Magnolia,

I've read about people keeping ziploc bags in their purses for such occasions.

I don't mean this as a lecture, just as an observation from an outsider, which we all sometimes need. If you're PBing on the street at all, much less from Soup, you've got to be too tight. Particularly as it doesn't seem like this was a fluke that you could knowingly prevent with more care (like if you ate a whole street pretzel or something like that), as you're planning for anticipated future occurrences. Consider getting just a little Fluid out of your band to protect your long-term band health? You'll feel more normal and might even lose faster....

I haven't had any public PB's, but at home I use an empty plastic cup and when I'm done with my episode I go pour it down the toilet. I would think in public, you could spit into the cup.. people will think you're just chewing tobacco :rolleyes:

I have never PB'd more than just a few minutes after ingesting something that was going to kick back....do a lot of you just PB walking down the street? That is so foreign to me!

I have never PB'd more than just a few minutes after ingesting something that was going to kick back....do a lot of you just PB walking down the street? That is so foreign to me!

I was just talking to a friend of mine this morning that has been banded much longer than me. She said that when she was first banded she would barf immediately after eating something that didn't work. Now it can take up to an hour before she even knows it won't work.

Another friend was just banded in Feb and she is saying the same thing. She ate dinner, felt great, went shopping and barfed all over the front garden area of the mall.

Just goes to show, everyone is different.

This thread is giving me somewhat of a panic attack at the moment. I cannot imagine having that happen in public. Lord please keep this from ever happening to me PLEASE!

I carry a paper (plastic?) cup with paper towels stuffed in it in my purse....and one in my car....and one by my bed....and one by my computer. I hardly ever need one any more, but the first year or so I had lots of 'surprises'.

This thread is giving me somewhat of a panic attack at the moment. I cannot imagine having that happen in public. Lord please keep this from ever happening to me PLEASE!

Sorry, God isn't going to help you on this one. This one is up to you. It depends on if you chew well and do things as you are supposed to. This one is allllll you. ;)

I carry a paper (plastic?) cup with paper towels stuffed in it in my purse....and one in my car....and one by my bed....and one by my computer. I hardly ever need one any more, but the first year or so I had lots of 'surprises'.

HA! Reminds me of ... ME! Well, before I started taking Luvox. Now I am not so paranoid about not having something to barf in all the time.

It really can be unpredictable so I feel it is better to be prepared than to be sorry (embarrassed). I carry a ziploc bag in my purse, have a cup and bags in my car and usually have some kind of bag on me at all times. I hope to get better at this band way of life as time goes on but now I feel I am still in the learning phase (obviously, I'm a slow learner :)).

This weekend I am flying to Vancouver Island and I was just thinking the other day that I will be taking the barf bag with me when I leave the plane.

;)

That is kinda discouraging to hear that you can find out much later that is going to bother you! If I PB it is almost immediately!

Also I can never tell what might bother me.....shrimp may or may not! I PB'ed on one small bite of a muffin the other morning....then at lunch no problem on anything!

Oh well....I'm still learning and living!

Oh my gosh. I didn't realize that pbing could be so often! Having surgery on Wed., 8-29. I'm a teacher and can't even imagine pbing in front of a classroom full of 5th graders! Does having acid refluc make it more common?

Pam~ I am a teacher too, and I've only PB'd once on a Cape Cod vacation. Eat really band friendly food during the day, and eat real slow at lunch. I teach middle school and that is the hard part for me...a 30 min. lunch to eat, make a copy and go potty. Lastly, I have a close neighbor, and I've put her on alert...if I ever open your door w/ a crazy look in my eyes...that means HELP!!!

Congrats on getting the band and have a great year!

Sorry, God isn't going to help you on this one. This one is up to you. It depends on if you chew well and do things as you are supposed to. This one is allllll you. ;)

Well, to be fair, it's not always "up to you". There are lots of factors that play into a PB, only *one* of which is chewing your food well. A year and a half out and I can still PB on Soup if I've eaten very salty things and have gained Water weight, or if I'm nearering my period, even Water won't go down. SOmetimes, nature just doesn't cooperate with you. :)

On the public PBing...I cannot count how many times I've done that! Like you, kity, I lived in NYC during the first year of my band. Thank GOD NYC is so big and there are so many places to bring up and spit out food with little worry of being noticed. I've spit into garbage cans, off subway platforms, into gutters and alleys, etc. Plus, with all the people who have alcohol and drug dependancies in the city, puking in public isn't so uncommon (unfortunately)...if anyone looks at me funny, I just mutter "morning sickness, sorry..." and go on my merry way! :D