Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

Dear Thin Again Jann....Dr. Tersigini in Coos Bay did my lapband and I am 68. My BMI was 42 (higher than yours), but I agree with Denise, that I think he would do it. I had some problems over Christmas (gained about six pounds, but I've lost four of them). I have another fill planned for Jan. 23 and am hopeful that the "sweetspot" will be found. Even though I gained some, I am still down 28 pounds from Oct. 15. And, if I hadn't had the band, I'd have gained many, many pounds between Thanksgiving and the New Year. Now I need to get to the gym or walk or something!!! I'm feeling stiff and awkward...I know it's just getting started and building exercise into a habit. Any 60 bandsters have any thoughts on exercise? I need some motivational stories. Happy New Year to you all!!!! Thanks, marilyn

I have not been banded yet (just finishing up my required 6 month supervised diet), but have been working on increasing my exercise now so it won't be as big a challenge post op. I have been going to Curves for the last couple years (living proof you can eat enough to cancel out their workout, but I figure some exercise is better than none), and recently started walking. I found a park near where I live that has a nice asphalt walking path and when I started going there, a coworker told me to be sure to take peanuts for the squirrels. I did and found that giving treats to the squirrels made the walking fun for me. Some are tame enough they will come up and take the peanut from my fingers. There are black ones and brown ones. Sometimes I see a lot and sometimes only a few, plus lots of wild birds. People bike, walk, and walk their dogs there too, so I have met lots of nice people and dogs. I usually warn the squirrels with "Doggielert" so they can disappear while the dogs pass by. I look forward to the walks, even to the point of going in the rain, juggling my umbrella and bag of peanuts in case I met any squirrels (I did see a handful). The trick is to find something you enjoy doing that you will do consistently. I am waiting for spring so the daylight will last long enough for me to stop at the park on the way home from work. Right now it is dark by then. By walking outside I am getting fresh air, natural Vitamin D, as well as exercise. I would go everyday if it wasn't dark. Curves I do after work to fill in the gap. I will be 63 in February, and my BMI is around 37, but I have every comorbidity except diabetes, so I am hoping for a surgery date sometime in February.

Dear,

Denise822, Sharon160, Houston Honey, Mduvall123,and Patchelton

I knew I could count on you guys. You have given me so many options to think about. I will keep you posted on my final decision. It's nice to know I have new friends. Thank you so much for caring.

Jann

Dear, Denise822, Sharon160, Houston Honey, Mduvall123, Patchelton,

I knew I could count on you guy's. You have given me so many options to consider. It's nice to know I have so many new friends. Thank you for you care. I will keep you all posted on my decision.

Jann

Hey,you're so welcome Jann. You need to be in bandland! We'll get you there one way or another! Where do you live in CA?

We live in Beautiful down town Livermore. Livermore is known for it's wine country. We also have large cattle ranches. We have just revitalized our down town area with wide side walks with many resturants offering open air dining. Livermore is a great destination. Guess you can tell I SELL real estate here. lol Best regards Jann

We live in Beautiful down town Livermore. Livermore is known for it's wine country. We also have large cattle ranches. We have just revitalized our down town area with wide side walks with many resturants offering open air dining. Livermore is a great destination. Guess you can tell I SELL real estate here. lol Best regards Jann

Hmmm.... might have to check that out on our way back north, Jann. Is it anywhere near a main north/south highway?? Not in the market for real estate, but like to explore new places.

Hi Phil....When you head north stop by and see our little town. We are off the Interstate "5" to the 580 take the Livermore exits. If you come by in the fall you can sample our wineries. The Wente winery has a nice resturant overlooking the vinyard. We just had our grand opening of our new Bankhead Theatre (just like big time) I brokered that transaction. We have lots of friendly down home folks here.

ThinAgainJann..... My DH and I spend our summers in Petaluma, CA which is about 40 miles north of San Francisco in the heart of the Sonoma wine country.... The summer weather is so nice and we really like it there .....

Phil.... We are currently in Yuma, AZ and are wanting to go to Quartzite.... Have you gone there yet?? I have been thinking it would be nice to meet up with you and Sharon160 if we can work out a date to meet.....

By the way does anyone know why this thread is not included in the new format under the "Sixties"?? I had to go into my control panel and link from the thread there....

Happy Sunday to all....

P.S.... ThinAgainJann.... If you have not made a decision on your Dr for surgery, I would like to suggest my Dr Kirshenbaum in Denver, Colorado.... He charges $9950 and that is for everything including 3 months followup and fills, after that fills are only $15... Dr K and his staff are the greatest and he truly cares about his patients.... There is a couple of threads about Dr Kirshenbaum started by his patients under the "Doctors and Hospital" category.... There is also a link to his website under my signature....

Good Luck......

Phil.... We are currently in Yuma, AZ and are wanting to go to Quartzite.... Have you gone there yet?? I have been thinking it would be nice to meet up with you and Sharon160 if we can work out a date to meet.....

By the way does anyone know why this thread is not included in the new format under the "Sixties"?? I had to go into my control panel and link from the thread there....

Happy Sunday to all....

New format has its pros and cons! Only 60's thread I can find is under "I like this"!

Going to Quartzsite this thursday, just for the day. Going to the pool right now, but when I get back I'll PM you my cell phone number... if you think you might be there that day. Would love to meet. We're going alone. So we're open to any suggestions. We just usually roam up & down the swap meet stuff after the BIG TENT.

I always have a teribble time finding this thread and I love it. Do you suspose everyone could just move over to the new sixties group which is easier to find?

I always have a teribble time finding this thread and I love it. Do you suspose everyone could just move over to the new sixties group which is easier to find?

You can ask Alex of Wheestin to do it - or do what I did on the 50's thread is just start an new thread under the new forums saying we have a new place to meet - somehow our over 50+ thread got moved there... so it can be done...

I just started a new thread under the 60's threads called New 60+ Thread. Maybe that will get folks over to that one??!

That should do it. The only reason there was no thread under 60's is because nobody started one.