Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking up after surgery

I don't remember any breathing tubes or oxygen. I remember freaking out because at first I couldn't move at all, and I wanted them to raise the bed, but after about five minutes I was fine.

Waking up from any surgery is wacky, as the last thing you remember is starting to breathe thru the mask with ZERO memory of falling asleep, then suddenly you are somewhere else and tired, hurting and people keep talking to you!

I just had ACL knee surgery a month ago, and I face palmed the male nurse who was walking around the bed, as he wasn't there "5 minutes ago" & I couldn't open my eyes enough to see him, so I reached out when he walked by and got him square in the face! :)

My son had surgery in October and was trying to pull out the IV when he woke up. The doctor (!!!) had to lay on him and hold him down while they put him back under...twice!! They **finally** brought him back to me with his whole arm wrapped with a very nervous nurse. LOL

I hope to avoid a flipping catheter, those things are awful!

I woke up with some pain and nausea, but that was quickly remedied with medications. I had an IV drip and catheter which remained for 24 hours. I also had an oxygen line in my nose, but I have asthma so I'm high risk. Also had those compression wraps on my legs that alternated squeezing to help blood flow. No drain.

For twilight sleep they typically give you Propofol, but unlike Michael Jackson, you wake up feeling great. Now I know why he liked that drug so much. I've had it for orthorpaedic surgeries, EDG, cosmetic surgery and colonoscopy. I've found it relatively easy coming out of this type

I could be wrong, but I think with a longer surgery such as WLS its something stronger.

I woke up with my cpap on hooked to oxygen. Apparently I was in a lot of pain and crying but I don't remember it. I was very nauseous but did not throw up one time. I stayed over 24 hours. I had a catheter and leg wraps on. I don't remember the post op room at all. I only remember when they wheeled me into my suite room for the night.

Oh and I fell asleep often. My husband kept waking me up what felt like every minutes to tell me to drink Water but apparently it was every 20 minutes. I eventually kicked him out of the room because he would not let me sleep.

Edited by Tssiemer1

I woke up with my IV and a nasal canula for oxygen that was removed as soon as I got to my room. I too was very sleepy for hours. No catheter or drain. I peed like a rock star after I got to my room. :-)

I can handle oxygen but the whole breathing tube thing freaks me out. Thank you all so very much.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They will take the breathing tube out as they are waking you up. You won't remember it being there unless you have a little scratchy throat. So don't worry.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Sherbear2 Your endotracheal tube is routinely removed as you're coming out of the anesthesia, while you're still in the operating room. You aren't likely to remember anything prior to getting to the post-anesthesia care unit. I woke up there with a horrible pain right at my sternum...they quickly gave me IV dilaudid and did an EKG to rule out anything cardiac. No oxygen, no drain, no urinary catheter. The dilaudid made me very sleepy, so the next thing I knew, I was in my room and my nurse was taking vital signs. I was up and walking, and went to the bathroom, within an hour of getting to the nursing floor. I was put on a morphine pump (PCA pump) which has a button that you push to give yourself a dose of pain reliever as you feel you need. My pain was minimal and I walked a lot to help with the gas pain that you get after a laparoscopic surgery.

Good luck!!

Did you have a drain tube after surgery, that has to be pulled out later? Surgery in less than 4 months.

Did you have a drain tube after surgery, that has to be pulled out later? Surgery in less than 4 months.

I did not. I had asked my surgeon about it in advance and he said that he might use one two times a year if necessary. Some do it as routine. Ask yours, I'm sure he'll tell you what his practice is.

I had my band to sleeve revision Monday, I woke up in recovery really groggy and tired. The only things I really remember was the nurse telling me the took the band out and I was successfully sleeve (the surgeon want 100% if he could till he got in there because of possible scar tissue) and she asked if I had any pain, I shook my head no and fell back asleep. The next thing I knew I was woken up and being told I was being brought to my room. At that point I was more aware. My throat was dry, I had an IV in, no drain, and I did have a catheter (which I hated, they took it out the next morning), and I had compression booties on. It wasn't bad at all, good luck you will do fine!!

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

@@Sherbear2,

I think everyone has a slightly different experience, but there’s a chance you’ll feel great. You could feel like you just woke up from a restful sleep, and you’ll wonder whether you’ve had surgery yet. The painkillers they give you will probably still be in effect, so you may not be in any discomfort.

Good luck, and try not to worry about it!

I had band to bypass surgery four days ago. When I met the anesthesiologist in the holding area before surgery, I explained that I am a puker. So she made sure I had no nausea and I was very thankful, since throwing up can be serious. I don't remember seeing anything in the recovery room. I kept my eyes closed. But I remember several people loudly telling me to breathe a whole lot and I kept responding "I can't. It hurts." I must've lost consciousness after because the next memory blip I have was me in my room and my husband and nurse telling me to breathe. I found out afterwards that my oxygen kept nosediving. Really I don't remember much from the first two days as I slept a lot.