Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I had a cranky day, being sick of liquids and Protein Powder 11 days post-op with no mushies until next week. We went to GNC to get some packets of different flavors and they had closed 2 minutes before we got there (the time on Google was wrong). My amazing husband drove us out to a different GNC, and we got 2 Quest Protein packets and a tub of unflavored protein to try mixing with Soups.

On the way home, he took me to Starbucks for a treat. I got a mini sugar free Cinnamon Dulce frappé made with soy milk, no whip. It was fabulous! I completely forgot about the no straw rule while enjoying it, though! I feel fine, and it was thick enough that it mostly stayed in the straw between drinks, but I'm worried I messed up big time. Is the no straw rule just because it's hard to fit enough liquids in when also swallowing air? I'm drinking regular Water now and I don't feel bad, maybe a little gas in my belly but it's not uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have used a straw since about 4 days post op. I'm 6 months PO now and still no issues

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Okay, good. It was so tasty and really helped cheer me up, but then I remembered the rule and got worried. Thanks for your quick replies!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by milpreve

I used a straw yesterday too and felt terrible after. I'm glad you feel ok.

I think the "no straw" rule is one of the most debated here. By all means, follow your surgeons instructions, that's always your safest bet. As far as I've figured out, the no straw rule is because some people swallow too much air while using one, and can get painful gas. I've used one frequently without incident. I see this as more of a guideline, and if I can use a straw without problems, I don't see any reason not too.

There is zero "consequences" to using a straw. It's just suggested because our pouches are small, even that bit of air left in the straw can fill up some space AND it can cause discomfort and gas. But you will not damage your sleeve or put yourself at risk of anything by using a straw. It's just a suggestion to eliminate potential gas discomfort. That's what I've gathered both from this forum and from my program.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Kaze