Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh! HEAD HUNGER!

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! I am 2.5 years out from having my band. Every time I think I have this thing figured out, I realize I don't have it figured out at all. I know what I'm supposed to do and feel my band is properly adjusted but the head hunger is just too much sometimes. A lot of it has to do with the ridiculous amount of stress in my life right now but that's not going to go away anytime soon so I have to get a grip and learn to come with it better. I have to figure out to avoid falling into that old habit of using food as a coping mechanism. And thinking I need to eat even when I'm not physically hungry. What are some of YOUR recommendations for dealing with head hunger?

The best thing I do is track everything I eat. It really helps me stay accountable. I'm 8 months out and was on vacation recently and started grazing. Old patterns emerged. I didn't log for 2 weeks. Got home and started again and immediately lost the 4 lbs I'd gained plus 2 more. Maybe my sleeve needed a little vacay too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may help to recognize that appetite is what's gnawing at you. Separate it from hunger (scrap head as extraneous), which is something to tend to.

When you're driven to eat without being truly, physically hungry, do anything to redirect your attention. Take a walk. Rearrange a kitchen cabinet and, if you still feel an urge, rearrange another. Take a bath; it's relaxing and not a time associated with food. Reading or watching anything involving a screen are poor choices, as they are associated with eating.

You don't "need" to eat, as you say in your penultimate sentence. I also notice that you, like most of us, are fond of imperatives -- "have to..." "supposed to..." and the like. Why pressure yourself according to some external rule book? Try shifting your vocabulary to "want to..." Having the choice and acting on it because it will take you where you want to go are far more palatable and productive.

I feel your pain!! I am an emotional eater and I struggle with old eating habits on a daily basis. I wish I had advice for you but I don't. It's a relief to know I am not the only one!!! I had my bad done 7 years ago and I still struggle. I didn't have the proper diet training going into this life long journey. I don't regret it for a minute, but wish I had the support I need to be successful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App