Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated on pre op diet :(

I am on my third week of my pre op diet and I've lost 25 lbs I am 2 pounds away from my goal weight and I cheated and over ate tonight. I am supposed to go to the DR tomorrow morning to get a check up and I know I effed up if I have any weight gain the moment I was done eating I regretted it. I was regretting it WHILE I was eating it but did it anyway. Tomorrow morning I'm definitely going to skip Breakfast and resume my pre op diet but I definitely feel discouraged rightnow because I cheated and I feel like if I can't change my habits now the surgery will be useless.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Is ok. We all do it sometimes. But you have to think if this is what you really want. The pre op is a hard thing but remember post op is even harder. Good luck, you've done so well so far you can take this further!

Is ok. We all do it sometimes. But you have to think if this is what you really want. The pre op is a hard thing but remember post op is even harder. Good luck, you've done so well so far you can take this further!

Thank you! I have been trying really hard

If we all had the willpower we wouldn't need the operation.

I'm pre-op too... and I've cheated too. Hopefully now it's out of your system. I have a voice in my head that keeps telling to have one more meal .... I'm also on a 4 week pre-op diet, and put myself on pre pre-op diet too. So of course over that time I've cracked... twice to be exact.

Just jump back on that horse.... the excuses that we come up with to eat are almost comedic. You can feel really strong, and then next minute you think something that talks you into cheating.

The one thing being on this surgery diet has helped me with is that I haven't cheated as much as I would if I wasn't on it. It's given me a bit more of a reason to stick to it. As they say, they aren't doing surgery on our brains, just our stomachs. It's a tool, and hopefully we can learn moderation of treats and bat down the hungry girl voice.

Plus this pre-op diet is hard! I'm on 3 shakes and 2 cups of low starchy vegetables. Least post op I can broaden my range slowly.

You should be really proud of the amount you have lost so far. Back on that wagon, keep going :)

Edited by roguegambit

Whoa there girl...lol...you sound like my inner voice and I'm not even on my pre-op diet yet. I just wanna say BREATHE! You have a lot to be proud of. ANY weight loss at all is a major cause for celebration. You are no doubt gonna have f-up moments even after the surgery, but you can't let it drive you nuts. You're human. We're flawed.

Im gonna confide in y'all (just don't judge me). I've gained 30lbs since I made the decision to have surgery last summer. I mean I GAINED...even thru the 3 months of nutritionist visits. Its been like watching a runaway train...while you're flapping along hanging off the caboose. I've switched surgeons and they don't do things the same. Right now I have to start my 2 week pre-op diet and Im like freaking out, Im thinking what happens if I don't lose anything!?!? Even worse...what happens if I gain again. On top of that worry there's my general surgery worries(what if I don't wake up), after surgery worries(who am I gonna call if I get stuck on the potty), life worries(where is my dog gonna get her French frie fix if Im no longer eating them)...the list goes on and on. The noise gets so loud that I just SCREAM(then I get strange looks from people). But it helps. I calm down I say self your doing what you can, every day is another opportunity for progress, you're making the ultimate sacrifice for a better life for yourself...everything is gonna be alright(then I sing). Lol.

Yeah that was a lot, but really though...don't sweat things that are technically in your rear view. Whatevers happened, has happened. What's going to be is going be. All you can do is attempt to not make the same choices again, and if you do, ehhh its ok the next day is a brand new day!

Edited by MinaDina

I cheated on my pre-op diet too and mine was only a week. I had diet cheese puffs and a Lean Cuisine I think, which given it was a clear liquid diet did note exactly demonstrate my willpower. A lot of people cheat on their pre-op diet, feel bad about it, and then cheat more because they feel bad, so the trick is to just get right back on the wagon.

I'm almost 3-years post-op and the last 10-days or so I haven't been the greatest on eating very well. I was feeling pretty pleased that I wasn't gaining weight until two days ago when my weight jumped up a few ounces and then yesterday I woke up at the top of my acceptable 3-pound from goal weight range. So, the last two days I've been being careful with what I eat, and this morning I woke up right back where I usually am, although I'll keep being careful for a few days to balance out what I did to myself last week. A big difference for me now is that I don't consider it cheating anymore when I eat something bad, which I think is why I find it fairly easy to get back on track without totally derailing myself like in the past. Last week I had dental work done and my face hurt, so I had corn chowder and Peanut Butter and jelly and all kinds of soft junk food. Man it was good and before surgery I would have used the fact that I didn't eat very healthily to justify going on a few week bender where I gained 10 pounds. Now though, I'm not saying I cheated on my diet, because I'm not on a diet...I eat what I want to and I modify the foods that go into my mouth when the scale says I need to eat better. I'll exercise more in the next few days, and I'll be extra careful logging everything into MyFitnessPal, and soon enough I'll be back at the bottom of my 3-pound allowed swing range.

So, to make a long story less long, lol, after surgery (like way after surgery- not a week after surgery) if you have a day or two where you fall off the diet wagon, try not to think of it as cheating and just see it as a day where you had too many calories that you will make up for later. It's kinda like when you spend money you shouldn't so you budget for a few days to make up for it. As long as you aren't shopping your way into overdrafts and bankruptcy, in this analogy, your checking account recovers from an indiscretion, just like your diet will. The key though is to make sure you're paying attention to your balance, or in this case, the scale. I weigh everyday so I know immediately when my weight is going up and I make steps that day to fix the problem. Hopefully, maintenance is more about keeping the checking account balanced rather than consistently being perfect about having a high balance, or ignoring a run of overdrafts.

Thanks to my analogy...I now want to go shopping, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I am on my third week of my pre op diet and I've lost 25 lbs I am 2 pounds away from my goal weight and I cheated and over ate tonight. I am supposed to go to the DR tomorrow morning to get a check up and I know I effed up if I have any weight gain the moment I was done eating I regretted it. I was regretting it WHILE I was eating it but did it anyway. Tomorrow morning I'm definitely going to skip breakfast and resume my pre op diet but I definitely feel discouraged rightnow because I cheated and I feel like if I can't change my habits now the surgery will be useless.

I wouldn't skip breakfast. Drink plenty of fluids and admit your slip up. You've done extremely well so far!

You've made amazing progress! Perfection is rare.

Once I stopped expecting perfection from myself, progress came a lot easier.

"Progress, not Perfection"

You've made amazing progress! Perfection is rare.

Once I stopped expecting perfection from myself, progress came a lot easier.

"Progress, not Perfection"

Thank you. I need to do the same.

I am on my third week of my pre op diet and I've lost 25 lbs I am 2 pounds away from my goal weight and I cheated and over ate tonight. I am supposed to go to the DR tomorrow morning to get a check up and I know I effed up if I have any weight gain the moment I was done eating I regretted it. I was regretting it WHILE I was eating it but did it anyway. Tomorrow morning I'm definitely going to skip breakfast and resume my pre op diet but I definitely feel discouraged rightnow because I cheated and I feel like if I can't change my habits now the surgery will be useless.

I wouldn't skip breakfast. Drink plenty of fluids and admit your slip up. You've done extremely well so far!

Thanks!

I cheated on my pre-op diet too and mine was only a week. I had diet cheese puffs and a Lean Cuisine I think, which given it was a clear liquid diet did note exactly demonstrate my willpower. A lot of people cheat on their pre-op diet, feel bad about it, and then cheat more because they feel bad, so the trick is to just get right back on the wagon.

I'm almost 3-years post-op and the last 10-days or so I haven't been the greatest on eating very well. I was feeling pretty pleased that I wasn't gaining weight until two days ago when my weight jumped up a few ounces and then yesterday I woke up at the top of my acceptable 3-pound from goal weight range. So, the last two days I've been being careful with what I eat, and this morning I woke up right back where I usually am, although I'll keep being careful for a few days to balance out what I did to myself last week. A big difference for me now is that I don't consider it cheating anymore when I eat something bad, which I think is why I find it fairly easy to get back on track without totally derailing myself like in the past. Last week I had dental work done and my face hurt, so I had corn chowder and Peanut Butter and jelly and all kinds of soft junk food. Man it was good and before surgery I would have used the fact that I didn't eat very healthily to justify going on a few week bender where I gained 10 pounds. Now though, I'm not saying I cheated on my diet, because I'm not on a diet...I eat what I want to and I modify the foods that go into my mouth when the scale says I need to eat better. I'll exercise more in the next few days, and I'll be extra careful logging everything into MyFitnessPal, and soon enough I'll be back at the bottom of my 3-pound allowed swing range.

So, to make a long story less long, lol, after surgery (like way after surgery- not a week after surgery) if you have a day or two where you fall off the diet wagon, try not to think of it as cheating and just see it as a day where you had too many calories that you will make up for later. It's kinda like when you spend money you shouldn't so you budget for a few days to make up for it. As long as you aren't shopping your way into overdrafts and bankruptcy, in this analogy, your checking account recovers from an indiscretion, just like your diet will. The key though is to make sure you're paying attention to your balance, or in this case, the scale. I weigh everyday so I know immediately when my weight is going up and I make steps that day to fix the problem. Hopefully, maintenance is more about keeping the checking account balanced rather than consistently being perfect about having a high balance, or ignoring a run of overdrafts.

Thanks to my analogy...I now want to go shopping, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I am new to this and I am not sure how to reply to the replies lol thank you for all of that feedback. I checked the scale this morning and didn't gain anything actually lost 1lb but I'm afraid tomorrow that might change and what I ate will reflect on the scale

Whoa there girl...lol...you sound like my inner voice and I'm not even on my pre-op diet yet. I just wanna say BREATHE! You have a lot to be proud of. ANY weight loss at all is a major cause for celebration. You are no doubt gonna have f-up moments even after the surgery, but you can't let it drive you nuts. You're human. We're flawed.

Im gonna confide in y'all (just don't judge me). I've gained 30lbs since I made the decision to have surgery last summer. I mean I GAINED...even thru the 3 months of nutritionist visits. Its been like watching a runaway train...while you're flapping along hanging off the caboose. I've switched surgeons and they don't do things the same. Right now I have to start my 2 week pre-op diet and Im like freaking out, Im thinking what happens if I don't lose anything!?!? Even worse...what happens if I gain again. On top of that worry there's my general surgery worries(what if I don't wake up), after surgery worries(who am I gonna call if I get stuck on the potty), life worries(where is my dog gonna get her French frie fix if Im no longer eating them)...the list goes on and on. The noise gets so loud that I just SCREAM(then I get strange looks from people). But it helps. I calm down I say self your doing what you can, every day is another opportunity for progress, you're making the ultimate sacrifice for a better life for yourself...everything is gonna be alright(then I sing). Lol.

Yeah that was a lot, but really though...don't sweat things that are technically in your rear view. Whatevers happened, has happened. What's going to be is going be. All you can do is attempt to not make the same choices again, and if you do, ehhh its ok the next day is a brand new day!

Thank you for your feedback :) you sound a lot like me too. I had a similar situation starting out. I began this process last year and dropped out for 6mos and decided to get back into it a month ago. Luckily I haven't gained any weight since last year I've lost and stayed there. I am doing this to get a surgery date it's so hard but I'm sticking with it this time because it's so close. I'd be a dummy not to take advantage of this opportunity.

I also have the same fears as you. I wonder if this is the best idea being that I'm 24. I go to the Bariatric clinic and everyone around me is well over 35+ and I feel like everyone looks at me like really?! U have good health u need to do it on your own. Anyway I don't know if I'll have this good insurance the opportunity is here and I decided to stick with it. Good luck with your journey. You can do it :)

If we all had the willpower we wouldn't need the operation.

I'm pre-op too... and I've cheated too. Hopefully now it's out of your system. I have a voice in my head that keeps telling to have one more meal .... I'm also on a 4 week pre-op diet, and put myself on pre pre-op diet too. So of course over that time I've cracked... twice to be exact.

Just jump back on that horse.... the excuses that we come up with to eat are almost comedic. You can feel really strong, and then next minute you think something that talks you into cheating.

The one thing being on this surgery diet has helped me with is that I haven't cheated as much as I would if I wasn't on it. It's given me a bit more of a reason to stick to it. As they say, they aren't doing surgery on our brains, just our stomachs. It's a tool, and hopefully we can learn moderation of treats and bat down the hungry girl voice.

Plus this pre-op diet is hard! I'm on 3 shakes and 2 cups of low starchy vegetables. Least post op I can broaden my range slowly.

You should be really proud of the amount you have lost so far. Back on that wagon, keep going :)

Thank you!! :) I jumped right back into it today. I hope it's out of my system. I weighed myself and didn't gain anything but I'm afraid it might reflect on the scale tomorrow