Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The truth about ibuprofen...

What's the truth about ibuprofen? I'm a band patient hoping to get revised to RNY. When I received my band my surgeon said no ibuprofen/no carbonation. Never ever changed to "Awww go ahead" not long into my journey so Im wondering if the same is true for RNY? I'm not an Advil junkie but a little worried about never ever ever having an effective pain reliever to use occasionally or if God forbid I need an anti inflammatory later in life. Thanks!

Different doctors have different ideas. Mine said occasional ibuprofen for a headache or something was fine but nothing on a regular basis. Others' doctors have said never again because of the risk of ulcers, with so little stomach tissue they can't really surgically remove any to treat a bad ulcer.

So... As with everything... Do consult your doctor.

What's the truth about ibuprofen? I'm a band patient hoping to get revised to RNY. When I received my band my surgeon said no ibuprofen/no carbonation. Never ever changed to "Awww go ahead" not long into my journey so Im wondering if the same is true for RNY? I'm not an Advil junkie but a little worried about never ever ever having an effective pain reliever to use occasionally or if God forbid I need an anti inflammatory later in life. Thanks!

Even with the sleeve - NSAIDs were a "always avoid"!

I was told no NSAIDS due to the risk of ulcers.

I have the sleeve. To my surprise my doctor said they are fine for me. I'm glad my husband was there or I would have convinced myself I didn't understand him right.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have ulcerative colitis and have been off NSAIDs since diagnosed over a decade ago. Tylenol works just fine as a painkiller (I use for everything) so it hasn't really been a problem. It's not like you are off pain meds, you just have to find others that work.

This is something I need to talk to my surgeon about. I have a pretty rough case of hidradentis suppurativa and am prone to getting very large masses under my arms. I've relied on ibuprofen in the past to help with the pain and swelling. It was the only thing that seemed to work. Right after my surgery I had a lovely outbreak under my arm and pretty much had to deal with it without my trust ibuprofen. Even now I have a huge hole where the thing used to be (sorry, I know that is gross). Only other thing I can do is get antibiotics but I am allergic to so many of them and my doctor does not want me to develop a resistance to the few antibiotics I can take.

Warm compresses don't help. I've tried changing so many things as I've dealt with this problem my entire life. I had surgery under my left arm a few years ago to remove all the heavily damaged tissue and now this crap has started under my right arm. The last surgeon completely butchered my arm. I have nerve damage and the skin is so tight that it cracks and pops open if I stretch my arm out too much.

I was told by my GPA years ago to lay off the nsaids, even tho naproxen sodium was the only thing that helped my knee pain and plantar fasciitis. Only very occasional use was allowed. Now my Bariatric surgeon/team have said "never again", so my new friend is liquid Tylenol. I am 4 wks out from RnY and have had little, if no, knee/heel pain, so maybe... Problem solved?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

GP , not GPA. Dang autocorrect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Mine said ok to ibuprofen if I take a PPI first. Not sure how that works though as far as why.

I have OA. I had the sleeve and my surgeon and bariatric team has said it is absolutely fine to take NSAIDs if needed. Although the stomach is smaller it is still a normal stomach. Just make surr they are taken on a full stomach as you normally would. Luckily I haven't needed any as the weight loss has helped my joints.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Edited by madadams

I am RNY and have severe arthritis of the spine, shoulders and knees. NSAIDs of any kind are off limits to me due to the concern of a serious ulcer.

Currently I use Tylenol for mild pain, for more severe pain I have to use a narcotic but I really hate them.

I am learning to use heat, ice, warm Water therapy and meditation to help control chronic pain.

I do sometimes miss alieve but you have to learn to use alternatives.

This is something I need to talk to my surgeon about. I have a pretty rough case of hidradentis suppurativa and am prone to getting very large masses under my arms. I've relied on ibuprofen in the past to help with the pain and swelling. It was the only thing that seemed to work. Right after my surgery I had a lovely outbreak under my arm and pretty much had to deal with it without my trust ibuprofen. Even now I have a huge hole where the thing used to be (sorry, I know that is gross). Only other thing I can do is get antibiotics but I am allergic to so many of them and my doctor does not want me to develop a resistance to the few antibiotics I can take.

Warm compresses don't help. I've tried changing so many things as I've dealt with this problem my entire life. I had surgery under my left arm a few years ago to remove all the heavily damaged tissue and now this crap has started under my right arm. The last surgeon completely butchered my arm. I have nerve damage and the skin is so tight that it cracks and pops open if I stretch my arm out too much.

I just read a study that Bariatric Surgery often resolves HS. Have they indicated that as a possibility?