Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lapband Removal Dangerous?

Hi,

I need advice. I was banded 18 months ago and everything was terrific. Went a little to restricted too fast after 6 months and had a slight defill (back to 1cc in a 10cc band) Everything returned to normal. No pain, 'normal' hunger signals. Great.

About 8 weeks ago I went for slight refill (.5cc increase). A week after gorged myself on sweets and alcohol (emotional eater). Severe wind and pain just below chestbone for 3 days - was told to drink peppermint tea and put on antibiotics. Pain went away after 24hrs. Began to get scared mentally. Last two weeks have been aware of mild indigestion at night and a lot of burping. Getting really scared. Although probably minor in the grand scheme of things, this is not something I want to deal with.

My consultant said that band removal was not possible. Clearly this is nonsense. I'm aware that I'm probably over-reacting but what's the dangers of having the band removed? My band is stiched in place - is this going to be a problem? Basically I'm terrified and feel in a catch-22: don't want the band in because of all the negatives but taking the band out seems really dangerous too.

Any help much appreciated.

check to see if you have h-pylori....not rare but overlooked!! Bacteria that lives very well in an acid environment and easily cured but you need to have an edoscope to find it--give the band a chance/rest if h-pylori is not the problem--yes you can have band removed but then you will be in the same place you were before lbt!! Is that what you really want??

Band removal is NOT dangerous. And of course it's possible!! Even patients with the worst cases of erosion can have their bands safely removed. It's utter hogwash to suggest that it's not possible or safe.

Of course, once your band is removed it will be very difficult to maintain your weight loss. Some people certainly have been successful, but I know from personal experience how easy it is to revert back to old, pre-band eating habits. And that way, at least for me, would lie a quick return to morbid obesity.

First, I am sorry that you feel such dispair... I understand that. BUT even if you have the band removed you are in no danger. For example, my own band leaked out at the band but has been sitting fine for 10 months. IF you can't get comfortable with your band, why don't you have yours unfilled and give yourself time to test if you can maintain or lost weight without it. If it doesn't work for you then just fill your band to a level that will.

FYI: my 10 mth trail has resulted in my regaining 45% of my weight loss.

Bad removal is NOT dangerous! I had mine removed on 7/30/07 and I feel GREAT!!! The procedure took little over 90 minutes for the removal because I had to have some repair work done to my stomach and I was back to work in 5 days. I think your MD just doesn't want to remove it.

Hi All...

I thought I'd do a short update on my successful band removal yesterday. Everything went well and I was able to come home late in the afternoon. I'm feeling so much better now that the band is gone. Here is something to keep an eye on. The surgeon who removed it found that it had been causing scar tissue to build up on my liver. This would not have been caught had I not made the wise decision to have it removed. Apparently, the band had been rubbing against my liver, thus causing the scar tissue. I have no idea how much damage was done but will certainly be following up on this with my doctor. So...after 1.5 years of PBing and vomiting, I now have liver damage. Boy, I am so glad to be free of this thing. If I could share one bit of advice, it would be to encourage those of you, whether successful or unsuccessful with the band, to please have yourself checked out for possible complications that you may not even be aware of, which could be doing significant physical damage. As in my previous reply, I plan to remain on my organic, whole foods regime, continue to increase my exercise at a reasonable rate, and enjoy the steady weight loss I am experiencing without the nasty side effects of the band. I wish you all health and success. God bless.

All surgery poses risks... even Band removal. Having said all that, I cannot think of one death attributed to Band removal in the seven years I've been on Band boards. :confused:

I would ask your consultant more about why he believed that... and seek out a different surgeon. You may also want to talk about revising to a different operation (vertical sleeve gastrectomy, RNY, or DS).

Good luck :)

Hello from Australia,

I was given a date to be lap banded yesterday. It will not be untill the 5/2/08 because of the Christmas holidays. One thing worried me, I weigh 122kilos at present, I am 62 years YOUNG, and have had 2 hernia ops in the last 2 years. Because I have mesh right across my tummy, my sugeon suggested it may be best for me to have a gastic sleeve put in, rather than a lap band. May I ask how I find out more about a gastric sleeve? I have lost 6 kilos by myself over the past 2 months, it may be best for me not to have an op at all, just hang in there and keep eating healthy.

Hugs Kim xx

Hello from Australia,

I was given a date to be lap banded yesterday. It will not be untill the 5/2/08 because of the Christmas holidays. One thing worried me, I weigh 122kilos at present, I am 62 years YOUNG, and have had 2 hernia ops in the last 2 years. Because I have mesh right across my tummy, my sugeon suggested it may be best for me to have a gastic sleeve put in, rather than a lap band. May I ask how I find out more about a gastric sleeve? I have lost 6 kilos by myself over the past 2 months, it may be best for me not to have an op at all, just hang in there and keep eating healthy.

Hugs Kim xx

Hi Kim:

Try vsgfaq.com and the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy forum at ObesityHelp.com Lots of Aussies!

Hi! I also have a mesh across my abdomen due to a hernia repair. My surgeon said that the surgery will probably take a little longer but it is not a big problem. I also talked to my other surgeon who did my hernia repair and he said that the mesh should not cause big problems. He said something about they can cut right through the mesh if necessary. I am scheduled to be banded on November 30th. Deb

Hi! I also have a mesh across my abdomen due to a hernia repair. My surgeon said that the surgery will probably take a little longer but it is not a big problem. I also talked to my other surgeon who did my hernia repair and he said that the mesh should not cause big problems. He said something about they can cut right through the mesh if necessary. I am scheduled to be banded on November 30th. Deb

Thanks DebSig,

I hope everything goes well for you, not long for you to wait now. Please message me and let me know how your op goes with the mesh in your tummy. I still want to go ahead with my op also next year.

Hugs Kim xx

How Did You Find Out The Part About The Band Rubbing On The Liver. I Have Had Mine 5 Years And Keep Getting Sicker With Fevers, Vomitting Etc. I Get It Out On 1/10/08. Any Info Is Helpful

Hello....I found out about the band creating scar tissue on my liver from the surgeon who took out the band. The good news is that with the band gone, he says it should heal up just fine. I am so sorry about your struggles with the band. I think you will be much relieved to get it out. It has been such a huge relief to no longer be constantly vomiting and/or worrying about vomiting. May God bless and keep you on this journey.

Even though I had a pretty bad case of erosion, the surgeons said it wasn't an emergency to remove it right away. They explained the process of erosion is so slow that it doesn't actually cut into your belly, rather your belly sort of grows around the band. Tissue grows around it the band like ivy on a vine or moss on a rock; well, not really but hard to put in words. For someone to say they can't remove it sounds really wrong. They did have to make a lot of repairs to my stomach as they removed the band, and it the surgery wasn't any fun, but you need a 2nd opionion for certain. The worst part of removal was being wheeled through the hospital heaving and shivering to do the post-op barium swallow, but I'm glad it's out. I haven't gained everything back because I still [seem to] have a pouch and restriction from the scar tissue that at least offers a little assistance, and I can't eat volume like preband.