Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when a sleever reaches old age and low appetite?

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of research and discovery regarding the sleeve. Many questions and much angst!

I asked the facilitator for the clinic I may go to one day about what happens to a person that's had this surgery and they reach old age with little to no appetite? When we're older our appetite naturally diminishes. How will it affect us when we're old? She couldn't answer that so I will ask my doctor when I speak with her.

Do you have any input? Is this a question that occurred to you and you sought an answer to?

Thanks!

You learn to eat for nourishment not for pleasure if u get in the habit of 3 meals a day after a while that habit will be second nature and u won't pay it any mind my mom had gastric bypass over 10 years ago and is now 60 she says she's never truly hungry but she knows she has to eat

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 70.

And I'm still hungry.

Real hungry. ;)

I'm 70.

And I'm still hungry.

Real hungry. ;)

I was gonna say... my Mom's in her 80's and she has a very healthy appetite. Dad's in his late 70's and he has no trouble either.

Now, as a nurse, I can say that a lot of elderly people *do* have appetite issues, but most know to eat enough to maintain health. The ones we see who we can't get to eat anything typically have many other health issues, dementia is a biggie.

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of research and discovery regarding the sleeve. Many questions and much angst!

I asked the facilitator for the clinic I may go to one day about what happens to a person that's had this surgery and they reach old age with little to no appetite? When we're older our appetite naturally diminishes. How will it affect us when we're old? She couldn't answer that so I will ask my doctor when I speak with her.

Do you have any input? Is this a question that occurred to you and you sought an answer to?

Thanks!

I don't see any difference in being sleeved or not and having appetite issues later in life. It is not a question I would ever have considered.

My mom died last year at 96 and a half. She suffered from Alzheimers and had a very long diagnosis (for 15 years).

She ate very well until the last two years of her life. Her appetite was reduced only when she began to lose the ability to chew her food well and we had to puree ALL her food. (Alzheimers is a BITCH of a disease.)

But then my mom really wanted to live. :) It's one of the many, many reasons I admired her so.

Here's the thing, though. At almost 2 years out my appetite has come back and sometimes feel as if I can eat pre surgery quantities. I'm sure not, but sure feel like I can.

People don't seem to understand that the full effect of these surgeries are really only temporary. My husband is 10 years out RNY and he eats like a normal person now. I can't imagine by the time I'm elderly the surgery would have any effect on me or my appetite by then.

@@Babbs that is my experience, as well. I have plenty of appetite, and can consume plenty. I do not fear for myself in old age.

Here's the thing, though. At almost 2 years out my appetite has come back and sometimes feel as if I can eat pre surgery quantities. I'm sure not, but sure feel like I can.

People don't seem to understand that the full effect of these surgeries are really only temporary. My husband is 10 years out RNY and he eats like a normal person now. I can't imagine by the time I'm elderly the surgery would have any effect on me or my appetite by then.

It is kind of like having kids. All people ever think about when deciding to have a kid is babies and diapers and day care. They never think about teens, college apps, tutors, ACT/SAT Prep, all the costs of moving into the dorms, college tuition etc.

When it comes to surgery all everyone thinks about is what they can't eat and the immediate time after surgery. Once people heal, unless they have some issues, they are pretty normal, just with smaller capacity. That seems like a really hard concept to understand until you have lived it.

Am I the only one who read this and thought,"Finally! An upside to getting older, eating less". At least now I have something to look forward to. Lol [emoji6]

Thanks everyone - all helps - I asked the question because my mom (dementia) was having a hard to time eating. She does seem better now she's in a home. Great answers all!

My mom is in an assistant living for past 3-4 years. She had gastric surgery a week before my baby shower in 1978. She had permission to come here then back to home. She did stay in hospital a few days, but yes she is 81 now and so thin. She doesn't remember having gastric surgery and has dementia bordering on Alzheimer's. She hardly eats at all! Not hungry so why eat she says. And she has the better be by a bathroom quick after eating to much food or just eating some other food that she shouldn't be eating.

And my sisters wonder why her pain medication isn't helping her! Dah it goes right through her. I've told them but they don't think so... No one but my daughter and one sister knows about mine. But I'm taking notes for old age!

My mom is in an assistant living for past 3-4 years. She had gastric surgery a week before my baby shower in 1978. She had permission to come here then back to home. She did stay in hospital a few days, but yes she is 81 now and so thin. She doesn't remember having gastric surgery and has dementia bordering on Alzheimer's. She hardly eats at all! Not hungry so why eat she says. And she has the better be by a bathroom quick after eating to much food or just eating some other food that she shouldn't be eating.

And my sisters wonder why her pain medication isn't helping her! Dah it goes right through her. I've told them but they don't think so... No one but my daughter and one sister knows about mine. But I'm taking notes for old age!

@@#9grammy - thanks. My mom is very thin too, very. But she never had gastric surgery, just always been slender. I don't live near her but my brother tells me she has good days and bad which is to be expected. Some days she enjoys her food, others she has no desire. I appreciate your answer - I'm making sure I've looked at every possible outcome now and in future in order to make a decision.