Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HAD THE SLEEVE DONE AND I DIDNT HAVE TO DO A PRE OP DIET AS MY BMI WAS JUST ON THE CUSP OF BEING COVERED SO IM THINKING YOUR FINE. JUST DONT MAKE IT A HABIT

OK I may catch hell for this but honestly "do what you feel" is the worst advice you can receive. Lots of drs have different plans but you chose your Dr for a reason and they may have a specific reason for the type of pre-op diet they want. PLEASE follow their plan. Do not ignore their instructions. You screwed up and you cannot undo it. Beating yourself up won't do any good but just make sure you stick to the prescribed diet going forward. The liquid diet is HARD and it can be even harder after surgery. You have made a life altering decision to have this surgery. Commit now to do everything you are supposed to do. Will you have a few slips here and there? Yep! But the key is learning to recognize those, stop the behavior when you see it, and then make sure your very next snack or meal is a good choice. Don't wait until tomorrow or next Monday. Get right back on track.

Now having said that, I made some poor choices last night out of stress. (I am 13 months post-op and at goal.) Not only was I psychically miserable, I was emotionally miserable for turning to my old habits. Today is a new day. I'm going to force myself to get up and go for a walk. Hopefully it will help the stress and get me started on the right path for the day.

I hope you return to these boards often for advice on what has worked for people who have gone before you but just know you are not going to hear "do what you think is best" from a real vet unless it is said in a sarcastic manner. Perhaps I read too much in to that response but right now that answer really ticks me off

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

OK I may catch hell for this but honestly "do what you feel" is the worst advice you can receive. Lots of drs have different plans but you chose your Dr for a reason and they may have a specific reason for the type of pre-op diet they want. PLEASE follow their plan. Do not ignore their instructions. You screwed up and you cannot undo it. Beating yourself up won't do any good but just make sure you stick to the prescribed diet going forward. The liquid diet is HARD and it can be even harder after surgery. You have made a life altering decision to have this surgery. Commit now to do everything you are supposed to do. Will you have a few slips here and there? Yep! But the key is learning to recognize those, stop the behavior when you see it, and then make sure your very next snack or meal is a good choice. Don't wait until tomorrow or next Monday. Get right back on track.

Now having said that, I made some poor choices last night out of stress. (I am 13 months post-op and at goal.) Not only was I psychically miserable, I was emotionally miserable for turning to my old habits. Today is a new day. I'm going to force myself to get up and go for a walk. Hopefully it will help the stress and get me started on the right path for the day.

I hope you return to these boards often for advice on what has worked for people who have gone before you but just know you are not going to hear "do what you think is best" from a real vet unless it is said in a sarcastic manner. Perhaps I read too much in to that response but right now that answer really ticks me off

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I 100% totally agree and hope that anything I posted didn't lead folks to believe I advocate cheating on the pre-op diet. I was hoping that by seeing that there are a variety of diets, the OP wouldn't feel like she'd totally ruined her chances- that'd she'd understand that she needs to get right back at it and follow the protocols!

I just had something similar happen. I am supposed to be sleeved on 7/18... just 6 days away. Unfortunately, my mother is having open heart surgery on 8/4, in another state. She is 83, will receive 2 valves and have a double bypass. I OBVIOUSLY will be there, but my surgeon has a 6 week no-flying rule. I was hoping that, as it'll be a little over 2 weeks and I know many folks who have surgery in Mexico and then fly on day 2, my surgeon would waive this. However, she said no how, no way. She was kind and logical and I understand, basically saying that this is the program they follow and if I can't do my very best to stick to it, maybe I should reconsider. I get it...just hate to postpone the surgery. (Of course, the scheduler is on vacation, so I don't yet know WHEN I'll finally have this surgery!) The bottom line here is: Your surgeon has a protocol s/he follows. BWLS is not a one-day deal; it's a progression and a commitment, and you need to stick to the protocol your surgeon's practice has put in place- or find another practice! (not possible in my area, with my insurance).

So its interesting that most of the comments I've seen about the pre-op diet people on are liquids. I was NOT put on a liquid diet. I was put on a low carb diet. I'm to keep my carbs under 30 per day and was given a list of what I could eat (which includes lots of solid food). I was told to take milk of magnesia and an acid reducer for the 2 days before surgery and I'm to be on clear sugar-free liquids the day before surgery. Does anyone else have a pre-op diet resembling mine?

Me I have the same but I'm trying not to have any carbs and I'm on day two of my diet surgery date 7/25

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using the BariatricPal App

I don't understand the big discrepancy with the pre op diets I had 48 hours Clear Liquids and nothing after midnight the night before my surgery Those 2 days on liquids was hell for me I can not even imagine doing that for 2 weeks seems like cruel and unusual punishment LOL Anyone have any idea why the big differences from surgeon to surgeon??

The difference in pre op surgery is a number of things.

The surgeon's protocol

Your starting weight

How much fat they assume is in your liver

Some use it to test compliance

Some use it as a kick start

But the main reason is to shrink your liver so its not in the way during surgery.. you'll find that lower BMI people are normally the ones who have a more lenient pre op plan...

I just had my sleeve surgery last Thursday. I had to be on a 28 day prep due to the size of my liver. Not once did I cheat. This surgery meant so much to me, that I wasn't taking ANY chances, besides, this is my way of life now! I've cheated on so many diets and look where it got me. This is a way of life now. I told myself that if I cheated now, I'll just keep cheating once it's done. I want to see my kids graduate from college. I want to see my future grandkids some day. I want to live! Instant gratification will not get me there.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So its interesting that most of the comments I've seen about the pre-op diet people on are liquids. I was NOT put on a liquid diet. I was put on a low carb diet. I'm to keep my carbs under 30 per day and was given a list of what I could eat (which includes lots of solid food). I was told to take milk of magnesia and an acid reducer for the 2 days before surgery and I'm to be on clear sugar-free liquids the day before surgery. Does anyone else have a pre-op diet resembling mine?

Mine is the same as yours i was sleeved july 6 im down 18 pounds since surgery

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

@@leebick - Definitely wasn't directed at you. And wow, I am so sorry for your predicament about your mom's surgery and your surgery. I do think it is interesting that so many drs have different protocols. You are right that so many fly home from Mexico fairly shortly afterwards. I had a dr tell me once that their decisions on protocols had a lot to do with the doctors they were trained by and how those doctors were trained and so on and so on.... I think sometimes drs don't keep updated like they should either OR perhaps your dr had a tragedy with one of their patients flying. Either way, I know it must be disappointing and frustrating to go through this major decision and possible postponement. I wish you all the best (truly) and hope you both have amazingly successful outcomes!! HUGS!!!!!

@Daisee68... Thanks for your support and WOW!! You met your goal within a year of surgery? Good work!! Right now I'm so worried about my mom (not irrationally worried, but informed/worried) that I'm not too upset about postponing surgery. I talked with the practice manager and realize that if I'm going to do their program, I need to follow their program. This is a large BWL program- both a surgical and non-surgical component- with three surgeons at the primary site and 6 satellite sites in northern Maine. They have terrific success rates, both for surgery and follow-up weight loss, are a Center of Excellence, and train other physicians from around the world to do BWLS robotically. I'm sure they have their reasons for prohibiting flight for 6 weeks, doing a 2 week, high-protein, liquid-only pre-surgery diet. etc. I'm going to sit tight until I hear from the scheduler next week. I now need to figure out for when to reschedule; I had the rest of the summer sort of planned around the stage at which I anticipated I'd be post-surgery, and I have to go back to work on Aug. 30th (I teach). I can't miss the first 2 weeks of school, so I might reschedule in mid-September, but that seems SO long away! OTOH, I can't imagine scheduling for mid-august and having to do the liquids while I am in a hotel room at Cleveland Clinic, and what if I need to be there longer than anticipated? We also have a cabin rented for Aug. 20-27 (3 hour drive away) and I really don't want to be in my first week post-surgery while there. It's surely a dilemma... I just want this done, so I can start moving forward again!