Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We are the TENaciousTENS!

Hello everyone. Wanted to indroduce myself - I'm Donna. I've been lurking on this board for about 8 months now. I'm scheduled for sugrery the 23rd of Oct. I had to do the 6 month diet thing with my PCP for my insurance co. I have Cigna and was really expecting them to deny me even after I jumped thought all the hoops. I'm happy to say - they didn't. All my paperwork was turned in on the 17th and I was approved the 19th. I am so excited to be joining all of you for this October journey. I have two sons - one is a senior this year in high school and I'm so glad that I'll be able to not hide from the camera when he graduates in June! OK - now I'm crying just thinking about this. I. Can. Not. Wait. For. The. 23rd!

Just wanted to say hello.

Donna

I posted on the OCT board but will post here as well. I went for my initial consult last TUES! When they told me that I was not going to qualify for insurance pay I had a moment of clarity and just decided to go for it and self pay. As a result, they have scheduled me for OCT 8.

This is a very fast turn around for me but I know that if I put this off any longer, I will just come to the same solution but at a higher weight. So, here goes!

I love these boards and hope to maintain contact with you all as we move through this journey.

Hello laurygregson, Donnajade and new me 2008.... Nice to have you with us....

laury.... Hang in there girl and post on this board whenever you are feeling like you want to eat... Force yourself to go places with your friends... It sounds like you might be a little depressed and we are here to help cheer you up....

When do you start your pre-op diet? Is it a liquid diet or a modified Atkins diet? I will be starting my pre-op on the 1st of October and my surgery is scheduled for the 16th... I will be doing a high pretein, low carb diet.. sort of like an Atkins or South Beach diet... I need to get off of my arse and get some exercise in each day.... I'm getting so excited about getting my band... I can hardly wait...

Donna... That is so cool that you have a son that will be graduating this year and can be in pictures with him... How old is your other son? Congratulations on getting your insurance approval... I'm right in there with you, I can hardly wait....

new me..... Way to go on the self pay... I have always said "Where there is a will there is a way." I am self pay too, but I don't have insurance.... If I may ask, why would you not have qualified for insurance?

Hello there-

My name is Tina and my surgery date is TENtively Oct 18th. Assuming insurance goes through with no problems. There've been a couple of little bumps so far but nothing that has stopped the ball.

I am on day 5 of a four week pre-op diet. It's not the most pleasant thing but I feel like I'm really on my way.

It's nice to meet you all and I look forward to our journey together.

Now I'm gonna try to figure out how to get a weight ticker via the instructions I've read for other people.

all of you take care!!

I'll know this week if I'll be a part of this group. I really hope so.

Lower BMI and self pay. Let's keep in touch....I want to be a "TEN"!!!:whoo:

nic: According to the Dr., I do not qualify as my bmi of 38 is too "low" unless I do the whole supervised diet thing for 6+months. Additionally, I do not have any co-morbities at this point, so that is just another strike against me.

Once I finally sat down with my husband and explained how I really feel about my health, he was fine with the expense and we are both just happy that I can get this done quickly and get on with life.

Why are you self-pay?

Hi everyone, well day 4 of my preop diet is almost up. I am managing to hang in there but I find it very tough. I am not always hungry, but the head hunger is brutal. I can't believe I am sticking to it!!! I am amazed. Just 3 optifasts and a small salad a day and tons of Water. Unbelievable. One day at a time.

I just want to thank you for being so suppotive to everyone! I'm so glad that you are an Oct,07 bander I look forward to going through this with someone with such a great outlook!

nic - my other son is 12 so I have a few years still with him. :) I have read so many post on this board and I know that a lot of people think like me - hide from the camera. I hate it. I'm really looking forward to being banded. Not nervous yet but I'm sure that will come. :) October is gonna be a great month for lots of us.

Donna

New Me, I am in the same boat. BMI of 39.6 and have to self pay because I'm too healthy. It will be the best money we ever spent. I said that about my lasik eye surgery too and that was 5 years ago and I still believe it. I am on the countdown. Less than 1 week to go. I leave for Denver on tues the 2nd. I wanted to keep it a secret but I got too excited and told everyone. I think my husband is telling everyone I'm having a boob job. LOL

Lafs- that is too funny that your husband is telling everyone you got a boob job. I was just joking with my friends that I wish some of the weight could come off the rest of the body, but move up to the chest area.

Happy Saturday to all of us TENacious TENS!!! I hope your weekend is going great so far.... Especially all of those on their pre-op diets... Good luck to all of those that go to surgery first, we will be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery....

New Me.... The reason I am self pay is because I don't have any health insurance... If I did have insurance, I think I still would have gone self pay, especially if they gave me a bunch of hoops to jump through...

Donna.... Won't it be fun to be in the pictures instead of hiding.. I'm looking forward to that... DH and I would like to have a nice professional photo taken of us... We have never had one taken since I didn't want to be in the picture... :)

lafs.... That's funny about telling everyone, cause I have done the same thing and everyone is so supportive.... We will be waiting for an update after your surgery and don't forget to post an update on the Dr K thread.....

Hi Everyone,

Dave here from Florida. My surgery is scheduled for Oct 24, anxious to get it done and over with.

I'm 5'8 and 240lbs.

Interesting observation... Took my wife and kids on camping trip a couple months ago. When we got back and looked at the pictures and video I just couldn't believe it. I know what the scales say but I was shocked by how big I was in the pictures. I really didn't realize I looked as big as I am. Hmmm. Maybe I'm in denial. Anybody have a similar experience?

Dave

Hey everyone-

My name is Ashley and I'm in/from Arkansas. I've been lurking on these boards for over 3-4 months and am finally having my surgery this Thursday. Am very nervous, but even more excited. Have been on Protein shakes/sensible meal (at night) and am ready for surgery day. My surgery will be performed by Dr. Rex Luttrell in Little Rock, which is where I live.

I'm very fortunate that my husband and my family have all been very supportive emotionally and financially in what I'm doing, and I am so grateful for them.

I will certainly be posting often here, starting today. I look forward to sharing experiences with everyone.

Good luck to all!

Ash