Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty meeting goals in the pureed/soft food stage

I had my bypass on June 20th! First two weeks were fine. No problems meeting my Fluid and Protein goals. But this week I started the soft food stage and I'm finding it more difficult to meet my goals. I normally drink Water like crazy, but now I have to force myself to drink it. I still don't feel hungry and can't "feel" what's going on in my new stomach. When eating pureed food I only eat 2 to 4 ounces at a time. I'm also very tired today. I've been forcing myself to walk on the treadmill, but it's getting more difficult! Anyone else having these problems?

Yes. I had surgery on June 21st. I've been very tired. Things that are usually easy for me, I feel like I'm dying trying to get through it. Just no energy lately. I'm sure it's all temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Are you still drinking Protein Shakes? My main nutrition came from those for quite a long time, solids were just for variety and practice. I still supplement with Protein shakes 2.5 years out to meet my goals

I still used Protein Shakes to help me meet my Protein goals at that point. The puréed foods were mainly to satisfy my mouth's need to be involved in the process. I couldn't hold more than 1oz of purée in the beginning so my protein shakes really saved me.

You don't have to push yourself into the pureed food stage. I had RNY gastric bypass 3 years ago. I was on Full liquids for the first 4 weeks, pureed Foods for the next 4 and only in the 9th week did I transition to solids. So maybe your stomach is not quite ready and might need a little extra healing time.

The three most important elements after gastric bypass surgery are meeting your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin daily requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting store fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Your Fluid requirement is more than just Water. It includes the Water in the Protein shakes, milk, the water you take to take your Vitamins, the water component of Soups, drinks like crystal light, tea or Decaf coffee, etc. It is important to meet this daily requirement to keep from becoming dehydrated. Also as your fat cells are eliminated they release chemicals and hormones that are stored inside. These need to be flushed from your system, through your kidneys and expelled in your urine. Your body needs fluids to make this happen.

Not sure why you are feeling anemic. Your body needs two minerals: Calcium and Iron. But if you take these at the same time or near the same time, they will not allow your body to absorb them. So time separation is very important. For me I found that I took all my Iron supplements at night just before bedtime. Whereas I took my calciums spread out throughout the day. That worked best for me. Without adequate iron, you will become anemic. A lack of B12 can also make you weak and tired. If you are taking B12 as a time release capsule instead of sublingual, that might cause the weakness.

I had my bypass on June 20th! First two weeks were fine. No problems meeting my Fluid and Protein goals. But this week I started the soft food stage and I'm finding it more difficult to meet my goals. I normally drink Water like crazy, but now I have to force myself to drink it. I still don't feel hungry and can't "feel" what's going on in my new stomach. When eating pureed food I only eat 2 to 4 ounces at a time. I'm also very tired today. I've been forcing myself to walk on the treadmill, but it's getting more difficult! Anyone else having these problems?

I am feeling tired too. I had my surgery on the 23rd of June. I decide not to push it

Thr Dr. Told it would take a month the feel completely normal. I decide just to have baby food until I get the menu right. I was told by a friend the diet is similar to a weight lifter diet.

Mrs. Marrufo Phone :)

My Dr told me being tired was the most common complaint so check your doing what you need to and rest when needed. Thats also part of healing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had mine June 1 it took me about four weeks to not need a nap. Still feel sick some day. Only can drink ice cold Water and only can eat once a day it feels as if something is always stuck in my throat.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App