Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate posts like this, but 2 days until surgery and I am freaking out

Why is it that every post that stands out to me right now is related to the sleeve failing, weight regain, complications, struggles with controlling appetite a year post surgery, etc? Maybe I'm subconsciously looking for a justification to call the whole thing off. My surgeon is a HUGE proponent of RNY surgery versus the sleeve. Just the thought of having that surgery makes me cringe, yet I can't help but wonder if it's the better choice long term. Am I going to be any better off if I drop 40/60/80 pounds and then I begin to struggle with controlling my appetite? ARGH!!!

Edited by anniebanana

I legit wanted to cancel my surgery right before too. I did mine in Mexico, so I had sent the deposit and I was still close to just saying forget it. I'm only 3 months out, but 70 lbs down and super happy with my choice. You will always have the choice to regain your weight you lose.. just remember it's on you, and you still will be the one in charge.. not fate!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I guess all I can do is my best. I've got a shrink and some good books...I guess that's a start!

Girl, my surgery is still like 3 1/2 weeks away (whoa that was just really real writing it down [emoji15]). I see all those posts too and I can't help but think to myself, "will that be me? Will I be right back where I started 2 years from now?" I'm having trouble even right now making the mental shift to behavior modification. I keep telling myself that I should be trying to lose weight until the liquid diet starts, but nooooo I just keep hitting Starbucks for Breakfast. Hoping that 4 weeks of Clear Liquids (2 pre-op & 2 post-op) will give me some mental focus [emoji53]

Edited by Laughkc11

@@anniebanana the doubts are NORMAL!! I had them before mine, and honestly, any surgery you have, right before it the negatives will stick out like a sore thumb. But like GSleeve822 said, it's all on you! As long as you keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change, and a tool to help you with it, then you will be good to go. While I've seen and heard people needing revisions, or switching to a mini bypass, I've also seen and heard (and know someone in person who's had a sleeve for 8 years with no regain) who has done wonderful! Also--hello fellow Washingtonian!!

@@Laughkc11 the 2 weeks pre-op will be a struggle and it will bring forth a LOT of clarity, and it will open your eyes to habits you didn't even know you had. The clear liquids post-op is actually a lot easier than it is pre-op. It's truly like hitting a reset button.

@@anniebanana like the OP^ said it's all on you.

The sleeve is a tool, how you use it, will determine your success or failure, IMO.

I guess all I can do is my best. I've got a shrink and some good books...I guess that's a start!

That's exactly right -- all you can do is your best. And if you bring your best to the game, your best will keep you succeeding. :)

Nearly two years ago when I was sitting where you are now and after reading a bazillion posts on WLS forums I could see that those who succeeded long-term seemed to have these critical resources:

* Smarts

* Incredibly positive attitude

* Sense of humor

* Self-awareness

* Supportive family members

* A sense of self-reliance
* Curiosity to learn and identify patterns
* Willingness to change
* Eagerness to comply with post-op instructions
* Ability to visualize a much better future
* Self confidence (that grew as their successes grew)
* Gratitude for the opportunity to have WLS
And yes, a shrink and some good books will also help. :)
Very best to you! :)

I'm 4 days away and I'm freaking out a little too. Mostly about a big cut I have on my pinky toe because I tend to fixate on irrelevant things. I'm worried It will get a terrible hospital infection.

Looking back over the last 6

Months since surgery the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner..truly

I did this for me. The sleeve will do its job if you follow the rules.

Your kids will benefit as well. You'll be able to do more, feel better and as I have been told, be less angry. Apparently I would "snap" when doing things. I can look back now, it was because I felt miserable. We did some of the same things this summer and I really enjoyed the activities. THAT alone was worth it.

Know the anxiety, fears and not knowing what to expect long term is normal. Expect to have some buyers remorse. I never did but it is very common during the early days post surgery.

Take a deep breath...try to relax and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are all fantastic, truly. This incredibly long wait from the seminar until surgery has somewhat made me forget why I started the process to begin with. This 2 week pre-op diet has most definitely made me see how mindlessly I can reach for something...the WRONG thing. It hasn't been as hard as I thought, but it happened to come at a very tough time (day 11 we had to move into a new house YAY but had no help BOOO). I haven't gotten on the scale, but I have been lifting boxes and moving moving moving from 6 am until 10 pm for 3 days, and I think that's taken a toll with me living on so few calories. Thanks to everything I have learned from others, I feel pretty prepared for the challenges of the first several months, the pain, the stalls/plateaus, hair loss, hormones, etc. I have a lot of help, I have friends and family who are excited for me, I am trying to be positive. The thing that scares me most is long term, and you're all exactly right...that's on me. And that scares the hell out of me lol

I legit wanted to cancel my surgery right before too. I did mine in Mexico, so I had sent the deposit and I was still close to just saying forget it. I'm only 3 months out, but 70 lbs down and super happy with my choice. You will always have the choice to regain your weight you lose.. just remember it's on you, and you still will be the one in charge.. not fate!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

What kind of post-op care are you getting?

@@Laughkc11 I did the exact same thing until the pre-surgery diet started. It's a real eye opener! I haven't been perfect, but the times I have failed have been "good" failures, if that's possible (string cheese or a bite of fruit). It's crazy how often I subconsciously reach for something because it's there....be sure to stay hydrated, get a lot of electrolytes...I made it through this diet without a single headache which is remarkable because I get headaches a LOT. Day 3/4 was the worst. Good luck to you!

@@GSleeve822 Some great advice, thank you!