Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am only 5 days post op and am struggling with the liquid diet. Part of me is disappointed the surgeon didn't require a pre op diet to mentally prepare me for this. I'm having a hard time getting the Protein Shakes in......nothing seems to taste pleasant. According to my paperwork from the hospital, I can begin to add soft foods (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) in 5-7 days post op. Do any of you think it's too soon?

It is common for patients to be unable to meet their Protein and Fluid requirements during the first few weeks after surgery. Their bodies are in a major heal mode. Keep trying each day and you should be able to get there.

My taste buds changed after surgery and many things tasted terrible. You may need to experiment with various types of Protein shakes in order to find one that you can tolerate. There are a wide variety out there. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. Can you drink milk. Eight ounces of 1% milk has 8 grams. If you fortify the milk by adding in a quarter cup of dry powdered milk, it bring it up to 14 grams.

Yogurt (light smooth variety) was on my approved lists of foods from the beginning. But it cannot be the yogurt with the fruit on the bottom. Greek yogurt has substantially more Protein than normal yogurt.

I am 5 days post op also. I know it is hard. Hang in there . I just focus on the recipes I will make when I reach phase 2 in just a few days. Like ricotta and cottage cheese bake with little sauce. Like lasagna.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using the BariatricPal App

Melissa,

There seems to be no universal instructions that Docs follow. Each is different in some way and according to my Doc, there are a hundred slight variations to the RNY. So, having that said, it's hard to say if it is too soon or not. Based on my instructions, I was OK to eat those same soft foods at seven days.

Something that has really saved me, is cooking a whole chicken and making my own broth. I sauté onions, carrots and celery, jalapeño and toss in some fresh herbs. Then I add Water and some costco chicken base and a whole chicken. Add some seasoning and I cook that for about 3 hours. I strain it and drink on the broth for the week. I usually get about 3 qts to a gal. I heat it up 16 oz at a time and sometimes I will add soy Protein powder. Bobs Red Mill gives you 17gms per 1/4 cup. It's good and beneficial.

Good luck, you are going to do just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 2 weeks out from surgery. I like the Inspire Protein shakes. I mix the Protein with skim milk, so one 8 ounce serving yields 29 grams of protein. That really helps me. Also, the Danon Fit & Light GREEK yogurt is really good. I get it in the 5 ounce size which yields 12 grams of protein. So, one Protein shake and one yogurt gets me more than half way to my protein goal. Also, you can add the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein Powder to your chicken broth or cream of chicken Soup (strained). Not bad. I think there are good medical reasons for waiting and following the dietary directions.

Edited by healthier&happier4life

Wow cant believe you didnt have the two week preop diet. None the less YOU can make it. For some tips read my reply post under someones post titled hungry!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App