Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm not even two months out and I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii for the first time. I was nervous about what I would eat since I was getting in my 80-100+ grams of Protein daily, and didn't want to lug my Protein drinks in my suitcase. I have been here for five days and I KNOW I haven't been getting enough Protein or calories, but I have been walking more than usual and sticking to my program, other than the amount of protein I need. Anybody have experience with how badly this will affect me on my journey? I plan on getting right back to the 80-100+ grams of protein as soon as I get back home the day after tomorrow. I brought some "meat sticks" (jerky) and some nuts, and I still only get chicken or fish when I eat out, but can't eat too much at one time (maybe the recommended 4 ounces). I have been doing well and although I only weigh at the doctor, I have gone down about four-6 sizes since my surgery. I feel good so I hope I'm not ruining my health by not getting the recommended protein. Can someone advise? (I won't get defensive for those of you who tell it like it is. I've seen those threads, lol)

Good things come to good people.

Just got back home a couple days ago from a cruise to the Bahamas. Definitely got in my exercise while on the trip. I was over my goals with the fitness tracker every day. From the buffets to the formal dining, I had no problem finding something I could eat (protein). My daughter and brother especially liked the formal dining, being that they always ended up with the desert and 3/4 of the steak! Was pleasantly surprised to find I dost 3lbs. during the week I was on vacation. Though it was a bit of a slow down than the norm, I was worried about gaining, so it was a win for me.

@@CelesteMarie

While you probably aren't getting 80-100 grams of Protein, it sounds like you are getting the basic 60 grams. So you should be fine.

They don't have Protein shakes at gas stations and grocery stores in Hawaii? It is still America. you should be able to find some if you are really concerned.

Btw I'm 11 months out and I still ship Premier Protein shakes with me wherever and whenever I travel. I bring Quest Protein Bars in my suitcase and/or ship a box of those too. Go to the grocery and buy yourself some Protein Drinks. Surely they have a grocery store there. If you want to avoid the extra trip to the store in future then ship your Protein to the hotel in advance[emoji4]

Have you been to Hawaii?? The costs are high but I honestly didn't check. I think I did great, other than getting my 100 grams of Protein. I'm sure I lost, although don't weigh until I go to the doctor so I won't know for sure until August. My fear really is that I'm not getting enough calories. I know I NEED calories for energy and I know if I don't get enough, my body will go into starvation mode and store any calories I do take in. I don't want that. My goal is to cure my diabetes- or at least make it so I don't have to worry about it so much. Losing weight is an added benefit, so I don't use the scale to define my success. I'm back now and when I checked my sugar, it was 94 so I'm good. I am back to drinking my Protein so I feel more cozy. Thanks for advice and comments. I am about 6 sizes lighter than when I had surgery, May 5, 2016.

I went to the Caribbean 6 days after my op and took powdered Protein with me (slim-fast and New Direction Protein shake powder provided by my practice) as well as my shaker. I mixed those with iced Water or milk. For lunch, the resort was good enough to make me smooth veg Soups and for between meals, I had some soy milk or soy yogurt to keep the Protein up.

You can do it. Enjoy your holiday!

@@CelesteMarie hope you are enjoying your holiday! While Protein is important for healing, I cannot imagine that a week or so of less than optimal Protein will have a long-term effect. I live in Honolulu, and protein shakes are not as common at convenience stores here as they are on the continent - although I have found some at ABC stores in a pinch and sometimes 7-11.

Congrats on your success!

So I'm not even two months out and I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii for the first time. I was nervous about what I would eat since I was getting in my 80-100+ grams of Protein daily, and didn't want to lug my Protein drinks in my suitcase. I have been here for five days and I KNOW I haven't been getting enough protein or calories, but I have been walking more than usual and sticking to my program, other than the amount of protein I need. Anybody have experience with how badly this will affect me on my journey? I plan on getting right back to the 80-100+ grams of protein as soon as I get back home the day after tomorrow. I brought some "meat sticks" (jerky) and some nuts, and I still only get chicken or fish when I eat out, but can't eat too much at one time (maybe the recommended 4 ounces). I have been doing well and although I only weigh at the doctor, I have gone down about four-6 sizes since my surgery. I feel good so I hope I'm not ruining my health by not getting the recommended protein. Can someone advise? (I won't get defensive for those of you who tell it like it is. I've seen those threads, lol)

Are you kidding? Hawaii is paradise for fresh protein: seafood, seafood, and more seafood!

I am jealous. Have a wonderful trip!

@@Inner Surfer Girl it's true, although we just had a hepatitis A outbreak in Ahi last week, so beware the poke!