Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody use a Powerplate for Toning?

Has anyone used a Powerplate post wls? Not the cheap vibrating machines, the actual acceleration training machine.

If so, how did you find it? Was it useful?

I used this machine years ago when i had the band, and found it tightened and toned things nicely.. just curious if anyone else had success

https://powerplate.com/

Basically its whole body vibration, which contracts muscles at a faster rate....

I did notice when i used it years ago when i had my band, i did notice a firmer tone.... but i am curious if people used it with the sleeve.

The other vibrating plates are literally just that, but this one is the only one that is used by athletes and for physios to keep muscle and strengthen bones.

Edited by AussieGirl81

@,

If I understand, a vibration goes through the body as the user does ordinary strength exercises. Wouldn't it be an enormously annoying sensation? Am I missing the point?

Thousands of years ago a vibrating machine that involved a belt around the user's hips or other area was seen on TV shows for the comedic effect. It was a real thing, but eventually proved useless. From the wonders of YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWMNm5HV-s

I can't help being skeptical about the plate machine, but will read more of the website and watch a few more of the videos than I have.

Yeah i remember those strap machines.... it was funny watching the jiggle lol

This is different, you don't actually jiggle at all... you feel the muscle contracting... hmm have you ever used a TENS machine? Its sorta like that but more intense... and you can target it to specific muscle groups.

Its acceleration training, not just jiggling fat... which is pretty much what the other vibrating machines do.

There is a few clinical trials that go into the technical stuff.. its interesting.

Well, my gym has one... i am happy to experiment and report back... I'll use it for 4 weeks.... and report the change in body tone and skin, cellulite texture and measurements

I love my TENS machine... My physical therapist used it while rehabbing my wrist after wrist surgery and I had to get my own. My daughter (who has arthritis) and I fight over it now!

So color me intrigued! Would love to hear your report. No way can I afford one so I will just watch from afar!

Yeah... well it's like a supersized one... i looks easy, but it feels like you've just done 1hr of resistance training.. when you use it for 15 mins... you actually feel the burn.

Will be the lab rat for this experiment... ill get measured and only use that for the next 4 weeks...

The "real ones" feel amazing and I have been on the ones that cost thousands. The research is really slim on weight loss or toning the last I saw. But it has some great benefits for balance and bone density. Actually I think their strongest research is related to bone and osteoporosis. That one the power plate seems like a consumer spin off. I can't imagine it does much.

The "real ones" feel amazing and I have been on the ones that cost thousands. The research is really slim on weight loss or toning the last I saw. But it has some great benefits for balance and bone density. Actually I think their strongest research is related to bone and osteoporosis. That one the power plate seems like a consumer spin off. I can't imagine it does much.

Yeah... i think ill stick to cardio and resistance for weightloss, but might incorporate this for strengthening my core and balance.... i have noticed i am not as strong core wise since gaining weight.... i guess it can't hurt right... its only an extra 15 minutes....

Its a shame nothing works on our boobs though.... if only there was something for that! Hahaha

They have power plate group and individual classes at my gym. It's like the pilates reformers and cadillacs, you can't just hop on and use it, you have to take a class and pay extra. I've done it before, it is a good work out. I guess the best way to describe it is that the vibration intensifies whatever it is that you're doing. They claim that it increases circulation and reduces post-work out soreness, I don't know that I could verify either of those claims, but you certainly can get a good work out in a short period of time. The problem is that even for the group class it's $20 a pop, I'd rather spend the money on pilates reformer classes. Pilates is life!

I so want to try Pilates! The classes here are so expensive!!!

Do you guys have local groups for pilates?.... i know we have them here where all the little purple haired old ladies go... they are normally really cheap and they go for tea afterwards.... quite social and totally cute!

I also see a local tai chi group in the morning at the park... they look so silly, but look like they are enjoying it

(Btw... i wasn't saying you are a purple haired old lady lol... just the ones that attend this group lol)

Do you guys have local groups for pilates?.... i know we have them here where all the little purple haired old ladies go... they are normally really cheap and they go for tea afterwards.... quite social and totally cute!

I also see a local tai chi group in the morning at the park... they look so silly, but look like they are enjoying it

(Btw... i wasn't saying you are a purple haired old lady lol... just the ones that attend this group lol)

Ha ha! Yeah I'm not a blue hair yet!

Actually to be fair I have done Pilates mat classes it's the reformer classes I want to try, but even the group ones here are $50 a pop and I only pay $80 for unlimited yoga classes monthly at my yoga studio

@@jess9395 @ I do pilates reformer classes. This is on the equipment with all the pullies that look like a medieval torture device! The "pilates mat" classes do generally seem to be favored by the blue-haired set. They are very different than the reformer classes, though. The classes on the equipment are very rigourous, it's not cardio, it's just very intense. The mat classes I think are just kind of like some stretching and maybe a plank or two, it's not really"pilates," I don't think Joseph Pilates would approve! I brought my mother, who has done her ladies mat pilates for about 10 years now to my reformer class when she was visiting, she's in great shape, but she kept saying, "oh my, this is much more difficult" for the whole hour!

I take a group class, it's not too bad, about $25 a class, the privates at my gym are around $60 depending on the instructor. It is expensive, but I really think it has helped me a great deal. Other than the obvious benefits to your core, although I don't have back issues, my back has always been weak, pilates has helped tremendously with that.

I had my first pilates class since my surgery last night and I am so incredibly sore! It's a good reminder of how much I get out of those classes!