Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Houston

Hi all,

I have been looking through these posts for a few weeks now and finally made my first dr. appointment today. I am seeing Dr Dexter Turnquest in two weeks. I would love to know if anyone out there has used him.

I am curious about a few things, being a newbie. I'm seeing comments about soda. Is soda something you have to give up with the lapband? I am a die hard Diet Dr Pepper fan!

Also...I'm almost afraid to ask but what is sliming? That is a horrible word that I'm sure describes an unpleasant experience!

Hi Houston. Welcome to the journey. You're smart to start asking questions!

The jury is out on carbonation. Some Drs. say it can stretch your pouch or lead to gas. Some say there is no evidence of a problem. Some say to let it go flat before drinking. My Dr. said no carbonation, so I gave up my addiction to Diet Coke the day of surgery. I was sooo addicted, but with all the other changes going on, I'm surprised to say I never missed it. Now I drink a Diet Coke on rare occasions and have no problem with it. Your best bet is to do whatever your Dr. tell s you to do, and later after you are well healed, you'll experiment a bit. I frankly don't think I could have given up Diet Coke before the surgery. Just seemed like one more change at the time of surgery, though so it was much easier.

Ah slime. Here's the deal. Our bodies are amazing. When something gets stuck and won't go through the little hole from the stoma to the big stomach, we produce a much thicker saliva to help it go through. That's all. And that's not all. What sometimes happens is that you fill up with slime, even into your mouth. Or the slime and the stuck food make you PB....throw up the whole thing. The good news is that when you throw up, there are no stomach acids involved so it pretty much pops out the way it went in....and the other good news is that that whole process is just there to tell you you did something wrong...didn't chew enough, took too big a bite, etc., so with some practice you should be able to avoid sliming and PBing. But you will screw up on occasion and it will happen. Until you get used to the band, you'll find when you go in a restaurant, you sit near the restroom, or at least know exactly where it is!

Burping....sliming....I was right! That does not sound pleasant! And I have to admit...sitting by a restroom at a restaurant worries me a little. I have a picture in my head of eating with someone who doesn't know I was banded and being embarassed by a quick exit. Does this happen often in the beginning?

I'm in the northwest part of Houston.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f64/wanting-start-houston-westchase-katy-highway-6-support-group-37183/

Hey there!

I am from Houston, too. I know what you mean about the Diet Dp. I was a Diet DP addict too, but amazingly I have given it up and have never felt better. We just started a LBT Houston Support group that meets once a month. (Click on the link above) We would LOVE to have you! We have all stages of banding -pre and post op. We meet the first Monday of the month (except in Sept due to Labor Day- we will meet the 2nd Mon) at The Los Tios and Memorial and Kirkwood. Anyone is welcome. We had such a great time last month!!! It really does help to have a support group!:clap2: Hope to see you there!

I have not heard of your doctor. I am also from Houston and I was banded October 4, 2006, but my insurance would not pay for the surgery so I went to Tijuana Mexico. I have lost 98 lbs. and feel great. It has been the greatest decision I have ever made. Take care, Eureta

Hello back atcha from Pearland!!!

Hi and welcome to LBT, I am currently waiting to have my surgery. I am from Pasadena, Tx. and am having my surgery done in Houston with Dr. Garth Davis.(the one on TLC with Big Medicine) I have not heard of your doctor though. I am currently doing my 6-month pre-op diet for the insurance,and hopefully soon will be in band land, I am sooooo.... ready :) Good luck to you!

I have heard of your doctor. My insurance had an obesity clause and would not pay for my surgery and the surgery was almost $16,000 so I decided to go to Mexico and have the surgery done for $7500.00. I am glad that I did, because there are a lot of insurance companies that are not paying for it and it has given me the opportunity to share my experience with those that can not afford to pay $16,000, but can afford $7500.00. I received excellent care and just loved my doctor. Good luck on your banding, you are going to love it. Eureta

Thanks to all for your responses.

Becca, I would love to join you. If you could tell me what time you're all meeting I'll be there!

Betsyjane, thank you for the vocabulary lesson. I learned alot!

Texgal, good luck on your surgery. I look forward to following your progress. I'll check out Dr Davis, thanks.

Just be sure your doctor has lots of experience doing lap bands!

I found at the beginning, that when I ate out I was very cautious abotu how I ate. If it had happened, though, I would have had plenty of warning, left the table for the bathroom, popped the food out and back to the table with no problem.

I am just starting out on my journey and thought I would do my research on the doctors. I am consulting with my issuance provider list it seems that I am limited to doctor choices. I was looking at Dr Davis Garth and Robert, can anyone tell me about your experience with them and the staff?

Or Dr Collier, Dr Ata Ahmad, Robert Marvin

Thank you in advance.

E

Humble, TX