Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: sleeved on June 20th! So much fear already!

Hey guys ,

I'm Mel.. I had my sleeve done on the 20th four days ago. Have been heavy all my life and after years of being on a diet I still couldn't lose the weight.. My initial weigh in I was 300# exactly. I lost down to 278 after my 2 liquid diet. My day of surgery I weighed in at 275. So I'm post op 4 days. I haven't really eaten in the last three weeks so I figured I would be down some weight and I weigh 274 lbs.. So really I haven't lost anything and I haven't eaten anything so funny how your body doesn't let go. I'm already having this weird fear of failure of loss. Anyone else feel this way? I know that's ridiculous and it's been 4 days. Don't yell at me. I guess I've read some stories on here of failure and people not losing much and then people who lost a whole lot. I already have a fear of little loss. Im determined to follow this thing to a tee.

I have done pretty good getting in my Water and Protein shakes. I am very motivated to eat healthy and change my lifestyle I guess I just want to know this surgery and pain wasn't for nothing. Does anyone else feel this way?????

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

yup. most people feel that way.

you've just been through major surgery. you probably had an IV, they may have given you steroids or an antibiotic.

your only job in the first month is to heal from surgery - if weight loss comes along in those early days that is fine, but it may not and is not a reflection on your ultimate success.

No, I didn't feel like that. When I got home from the hospital I was gleeful I wasn't dead, didn't have a flesh eating disease, and wasn't in pain and didn't have to take pain meds. I really hate and have a fear of hospitals so getting in and out of one unharmed was a massive relief for me. I wasn't thinking about my weight loss, I was thinking I beat the grim reaper.

However at 6 weeks I felt like I hadn't lost enough, I had lost 20lbs in a month before on low carb diets. I felt that I should have lost a lot more considering I barely eating. Then after 6 weeks I could eat more than starvation level calories, I started losing really fast.

Don't focus on the negatives, focus on the positives. If you focus on the negatives and stress yourself out, the stress won't help your weight loss. Stay calm, relax and rest. the weight will come off.

@@Mjohnson4631 We all have that fear of failing. Don't worry - you will lose weight. Many actually gain weight immediately after surgery from the fluids, stress of surgery, and swelling. Just stay with your plan and ignore the scale right now! Congrats on your pre-op loss - you're off to a great start!

Hey guys ,

I'm Mel.. I had my sleeve done on the 20th four days ago. Have been heavy all my life and after years of being on a diet I still couldn't lose the weight.. My initial weigh in I was 300# exactly. I lost down to 278 after my 2 liquid diet. My day of surgery I weighed in at 275. So I'm post op 4 days. I haven't really eaten in the last three weeks so I figured I would be down some weight and I weigh 274 lbs.. So really I haven't lost anything and I haven't eaten anything so funny how your body doesn't let go. I'm already having this weird fear of failure of loss. Anyone else feel this way? I know that's ridiculous and it's been 4 days. Don't yell at me. I guess I've read some stories on here of failure and people not losing much and then people who lost a whole lot. I already have a fear of little loss. Im determined to follow this thing to a tee.

I have done pretty good getting in my Water and Protein shakes. I am very motivated to eat healthy and change my lifestyle I guess I just want to know this surgery and pain wasn't for nothing. Does anyone else feel this way?????

Hello Surgery Buddy I was sleeved on 6/20 also!!!!

Listen, you are not alone by a long shot! I was saying to a close friend whom has already been through this that " this could not be my life right now"!! But it is and it will get better over time! I had a scale already at home that I have to tell myself every morning " Just walk past it" because I was stepping on it every morning since Wednesday wondering why the numbers wasn't moving. Im in the medical field so i already know why!! But I blame it on my meds .... The important thing to remember is this is a lifestyle change that will get better over time aND before you know it the weight will be dropping because we will be consuming food and nutrients and Protein aND we'll feel great about it!! Don't sweat WE GOT THIS!!!

BY the way I'm Jazz

Soon2B Sleeved

Yeah don't worry. I was sleeved on 6/22. When I was discharged from the hospital I had gained 8lbs. My stomach is still pretty bloated and i feel bigger then when i went in ;). That said they pump you full of gas and fluids. ..Lots and lots of fluids and that's not counting the stress to your body. We didn't get this way over night and it's not going to change over night. I also know what you mean about the loss. I had a moment with all the recipes flooding my Facebook and I'm all "I'll never be able to eat that again...or what the heck do I cook for my family". Went to the movies and sat and tried not to drool over popcorn. Lol i might have stared at others with eating popcorn. Our entertainment was going out to eat...all new stuff and habits we're learning day by day. Much love. Your definitely not alone! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Oil

Edited by julie752

I've given this advice many times on this forum. Take the batteries out of the scale and put the scale in the closet. Only weigh in at your dr appointments for the first couple months. If you follow your plan, you will succeed. scales just get in the way. good luck to you.

I had the fear of failure when I first came out of surgery too. I had my surgery on the 15th. Now my fears are that I cant get anything down hardly. I'm really pushing it to get maybe 20-25 oz in or all liquids a day. Protein shakes make me gag and sit like a lump. Soups, Water, g2...everything I'm trying to drink just sits like a lead weight and often causes nausea. And I have diarhea everyday. I have lost 17 lbs in 11 days and it scares the crap out of me because I'm afraid it is too much too fast. My dactor says I should be exercising 1 hr a day but I physically can't. I just don't have the energy. I feel like I am just one tiny step ahead of a date with an iv bag if it doesnt let up. I went back to work last week 1/2 days and this week I have to go to full 9 hr days. Hoping its just swelling still and it goes down soon!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Yeah don't worry. I was sleeved on 6/22. When I was discharged from the hospital I had gained 8lbs. My stomach is still pretty bloated and i feel bigger then when i went in ;). That said they pump you full of gas and fluids. ..Lots and lots of fluids and that's not counting the stress to your body. We didn't get this way over night and it's not going to change over night. I also know what you mean about the loss. I had a moment with all the recipes flooding my Facebook and I'm all "I'll never be able to eat that again...or what the heck do I cook for my family". Went to the movies and sat and tried not to drool over popcorn. Lol i might have stared at others with eating popcorn. Our entertainment was going out to eat...all new stuff and habits we're learning day by day. Much love. Your definitely not alone! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Oil

I was sleeved on 6/22 too! I'm also struggling with what to do for fun now that food is off the menu. I want to take my kids to a movie but I'm worried that will be too much like torture for me!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

We watched the Shallows Last night in theaters! Yes, my husband and all my kids scarfed down popcorn and chocolate and candy while I sipped my Water.. The food smelled so good, but i handled it well and I'm looking forward to a better me.. That seems more important to me than a few seconds of mouth pleasing. We can do this, all of us!

We watched the Shallows Last night in theaters! Yes, my husband and all my kids scarfed down popcorn and chocolate and candy while I sipped my Water.. The food smelled so good, but i handled it well and I'm looking forward to a better me.. That seems more important to me than a few seconds of mouth pleasing. We can do this, all of us!

ow are you doing?

I am 17 days post op and had all kinds of things going through my head right after surgery. Be proud of yourself for worrying a bit... that means you are passionate and committed! A little fear can be a motivation if you don't let it overwhelm you. Follow the plan and you will do great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App