Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry feeling all the time!

I'm 6weeks post op and I feel hungry more now than before the surgery. I woke up from the surgery hungry, I was so angry that I woke up hungry and it's like it doesn't want to go away. Any help is welcomed.

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

I am four weeks post-op and feel the same. I am usually hungry about an hour to an hour and a half after I eat. It is so frustrating.

I'm 6weeks post op and I feel hungry more now than before the surgery. I woke up from the surgery hungry, I was so angry that I woke up hungry and it's like it doesn't want to go away. Any help is welcomed.

Sounds like head hunger. Just make sure you're following your prescribed plan.

I am 6 days out and I feel like I am starving. It is not head hunger, my stomach is actually hurting me. I went to the doctor for my post-op today and I couldn't get him to listen to me about it - he said the same thing, it is probably head hunger. I think it is stomach acid - at night it really hurts, but during the day, I feel if I could just eat something, it would make my stomach feel better. Needless to say, this is how I used to feel and how I gained so much weight in the first place, so it is very frustrating to me. The last thing I want to do is have gone through this only to find myself in the same place.

Two nights ago I tried getting up at night and putting something in my stomach so it had something to do - I don't know how to describe the feeling except to say that it feels like it is eating itself. It goes in waves...it will be somewhat quiet and then suddenly a large, almost like a cramp, comes on. It is very painful. After I eat, it stops for about an hour and a half or so. But I realize I cannot get up and feed it every time it does this. So last night, I ended up having to take pain killers to get through the night.

One thing I have noticed is that the pain in my stomach is something I have had since I can remember. I remember getting up when I was in 3rd grade and throwing up bile every morning - my stomach hurt so bad. I almost failed school because I missed so many days. I learned to control it as I got older, but I never felt good in the mornings. I eventually learned that if I kept feeding myself, the pain stayed gone (with the exception of some bad mornings). I continuously grazed all day, every day. About 8 years ago I started experiencing really bad GERD - the back of my throat and tongue would burn. If I tried to drink Water, which everyone said was so good for me, it was like pouring gasoline on fire - I could feel the eruption. No anti-acids worked. My doctor sent me for an upper GI, but besides finding an irritated stomach, they did not find anything. They determined it was probably happening due to my weight. The GERD eventually calmed down and then it would only happen occasionally, but it made me miserable.

I can't tell you how upset it makes me to be right back where I was after having this surgery, and I am determined not to get dragged into this pattern again. There must be a reason for all the acid in my stomach and a way to stop it. I am currently on Pepcid 2x a day, and I have not tried to introduce anything else. I can tell you that in the past, nothing worked - especially not things like Tums and Malanta.

I am curious if what you are experiencing is in any way similar to what I am describing or if there is anyone else out there experiencing these symptoms.

Edited by jodieg8er

I am 6 days out and I feel like I am starving. It is not head hunger, my stomach is actually hurting me. I went to the doctor for my post-op today and I couldn't get him to listen to me about it - he said the same thing, it is probably head hunger. I think it is stomach acid - at night it really hurts, but during the day, I feel if I could just eat something, it would make my stomach feel better. Needless to say, this is how I used to feel and how I gained so much weight in the first place, so it is very frustrating to me. The last thing I want to do is have gone through this only to find myself in the same place.

Two nights ago I tried getting up at night and putting something in my stomach so it had something to do - I don't know how to describe the feeling except to say that it feels like it is eating itself. It goes in waves...it will be somewhat quiet and then suddenly a large, almost like a cramp, comes on. It is very painful. After I eat, it stops for about an hour and a half or so. But I realize I cannot get up and feed it every time it does this. So last night, I ended up having to take pain killers to get through the night.

One thing I have noticed is that the pain in my stomach is something I have had since I can remember. I remember getting up when I was in 3rd grade and throwing up bile every morning - my stomach hurt so bad. I almost failed school because I missed so many days. I learned to control it as I got older, but I never felt good in the mornings. I eventually learned that if I kept feeding myself, the pain stayed gone (with the exception of some bad mornings). I continuously grazed all day, every day. About 8 years ago I started experiencing really bad GERD - the back of my throat and tongue would burn. If I tried to drink Water, which everyone said was so good for me, it was like pouring gasoline on fire - I could feel the eruption. No anti-acids worked. My doctor sent me for an upper GI, but besides finding an irritated stomach, they did not find anything. They determined it was probably happening due to my weight. The GERD eventually calmed down and then it would only happen occasionally, but it made me miserable.

I can't tell you how upset it makes me to be right back where I was after having this surgery, and I am determined not to get dragged into this pattern again. There must be a reason for all the acid in my stomach and a way to stop it. I am currently on Pepcid 2x a day, and I have not tried to introduce anything else. I can tell you that in the past, nothing worked - especially not things like Tums and Malanta.

I am curious if what you are experiencing is in any way similar to what I am describing or if there is anyone else out there experiencing these symptoms.

I'm on a PPI acid reducer. You should ask your surgical team for a prescription if you don't have one.

I've had TRUE HUNGER since 3 days post op. It's very frustrating to have others tell you it's "head hunger" and there is NO WAY it could be real hunger. My dr confirmed that there is a small percentage of people who will experience hunger and appetite right away. It's unfortunate luck. But it doesn't mean you won't be successful! My hunger is easily controlled with tiny meals often. You just have to make it through liquids! Hold on tight and don't get frustrated! And if you KNOW it's true hunger like I did, don't let others make you feel crazy like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

what do you eat to settle your stomach?

Since you are on a PPI, contact your doctor to review your dosage... as you have had GERD for 8 years... i don't think the standard dosing would be enough. .. its sounds like an acid problem to me.

Edited by AussieGirl81

My doctor prescribed 40mg Omeprazole. It works great for me. You may want to ask your doc to prescribe you something stronger than what you currently take.

I know what you are talking about. I experienced that before surgery, it was so bad that I would be on the floor in a ball. I went to my GI doctor and he prescribed Hyoscyamine. He said that it was stomach spasms and after he gave me that if I felt like it was coming on I would dissolve one. They really work. Even now if I feel like its about to hurt like that I take one and I'm good. They ran all kind of test and only found the same thing an irritated stomach bit because I kept complaining and going to ER he did something about it. Maybe you could look into your GI doctor to prescribe that or something similar to help.

I've had TRUE HUNGER since 3 days post op. It's very frustrating to have others tell you it's "head hunger" and there is NO WAY it could be real hunger. My dr confirmed that there is a small percentage of people who will experience hunger and appetite right away. It's unfortunate luck. But it doesn't mean you won't be successful! My hunger is easily controlled with tiny meals often. You just have to make it through liquids! Hold on tight and don't get frustrated! And if you KNOW it's true hunger like I did, don't let others make you feel crazy like I did.

Thank you because I feel the same way. Like I know when I'm hungry and that's what everyone is saying and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how could it possibly be in my head.

I am going through the same thing. I had my surgery on Mon 6/20. My stomach will even "growl" when I see food that someone else is eating. I kinda feel like I'm at the point of starving. I am actually feeling like I could go for some scrambled eggs and I'm still in my liquid phase of my recovery. I don't know what to do.

Sent from my LG-H811 using the BariatricPal App

I am going through the same thing. I had my surgery on Mon 6/20. My stomach will even "growl" when I see food that someone else is eating. I kinda feel like I'm at the point of starving. I am actually feeling like I could go for some scrambled eggs and I'm still in my liquid phase of my recovery. I don't know what to do.

Sent from my LG-H811 using the BariatricPal App

I feel the same exact way and I was sleeved the day after you. I have been DREAMING of scrambled eggs and my husband made pancakes for himself for dinner THE DAY I GOT HOME! So now I just really want pancakes and even a few bites of scrambled eggs.