Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op questions....

I finally made it over to the Post Op side!

Got home from hospital on yesterday afternoon in a lot of pain probably from being pulled off of the IV and heavier pain meds. All of the pain is concentrated on my right side...the right side of my tummy.....behind my right breast and on the far right side of my ribs. Is the location of my pain normal? I also have 7 incisions...I thought sleeve surgery should only be about 5 incisions. It was also operated by my surgeon and done robotic.

My concerns right now is the location of the pain and the fact that Im not drinking much....today i put myself on a 30 mins schedule which dh is doing a great job helping me with. So every 30 mins I am taking in 3oz of Water, or Protein. Does it sound like I'm on board? Im so scared to mess this up. I know eventually I need to get up to about 60-90grams of protein....gee i cant imagine being able to take in that much!

I am walking also, mainly getting up from the couch every once in a while and walking around our 2bdrm apartment. I did a 15mins walk outside with dh as well today.

I dont even feel normal until I take a dose of liquid vicadin....sad. I try hard to NOT take it but I honeslty cant close my eyes and rest without it.

BTW-gained 11lbs of IV Fluid weight and gas.....2nd day home I lost 5lbs of that...im peeing alot so my body is definitely trying to get rid of all the excess Fluid.< /p>

Lastly, I am feeling mucous on my lungs since yesterday. Im using the breathing thingamagig and it wants to come up but I dont have the strength to cough it up. It hurts to even try. Could this potentially turn into pneumonia? any advice?

Edited by reachbree

@@reachbree Welcome home! Try and get more fluids. Just keep sipping. Walking should hopefully help the pain and lung congestion but if you feel short of breath at all - call the Dr. Try a heating pad for the pain. Stay strong!

I'm 9 days post-op,and I can say that for me the thing that helped me the most was getting off the pain meds. They will make you feel worse. I had my sleeve done on a fri. Then Sunday morning around 2:30 am, I decided no more. I actually could have gone to work that Monday. And I cut hair for a living. Don't let it rule you! I know it hurts..... But you got this!!!! Good luck

I was to work up to 4oz/hr by the end of the first two weeks. With the Extra Fluid you get in the hospital my dr wasn't concerned with dehydration early on. They gave me 1, 2 & 4 oz cups to push it a little more each time I drank. As your swelling goes down getting the Fluid in gets easier. You need your rest so take the meds if they help you. I didn't need mine after the first week.

The spirometer is a pain in the butt.. They wanted me to use it once every 20 mins. Thankfully I didn't need it once at home.

Good luck

Edited by cindyw41

Lots of walking! That moist chest can definitely turn into pneumonia!! It's best to be sitting upright and moving as much as possible. Not just for that but to prevent clotting post op! Walking I found also helped the discomfort I had and I agree with the lady above who suggested getting off the pain meds. Once off them I didn't feel as Woosey and light headed and things just got better from there. Good luck xox

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone. I tried so hard to get off the liquid vicadin but at about 3am I woke up so much that I got frustrated and took a dose so I could sleep. I woke up feeling like I was going to die at any moment. My head was so light, every hurt. I just didnt feel well at all. THankfully I havent had any so far today. Took walk with hubby and will take another this evening when sun goes down bcause its sooooooo hot here!

Also, I was eatting the creamed Soups, low sodium. Nurse called and said the Soups could be attibuting to all the bloat. Funny because as I was talking to her, i was drinking one and my tummy started to bloat right away so i put it down and said Thats IT! guess i cant have milk. I would love to have a butternut squash Soup :(

I'm glad to hear that you are walking a bit. Hoping your pain lessons so you can rest without the meds.

That sucks about the milk. Unfortunately lactose intolerance is common after bariatric surgery. My doctor told us if it happens in the beginning to try it again in a couple months or use Lactaid milk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you need the pain meds take them for heavens sake, this suffering because I am such a strong person crap is just that its crap. No need to suffer