Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water and Medications

Hey!

So, this is probably not relevant to far too many people here because my circumstances are a little unique but I'm sure those of you who have been sleeved can chip in about some concerns I've had all throughout this process. I'm a transplant recipient (kidney, three years ago on the 8th) and one of the requirements of my transplant for long term success is four liters (136oz) and immunosupressants.

I just wanted to know if it's pretty easy to drink Water after VSG? I know for a while you'll have to go slow and really consciously sip through the day, but even then, I've been reassured that it is possible. What are your experiences? I don't get four liters religiously, but I feel ~96oz is the bare minimum.

Also, as far as medications (and taking them with water) do you feel you can't take too many pills? I have medications that must be taken 12-hours apart. For reference, this is their size in correlation to a quarter. If it says "immunosuppressant", it HAS to be taken:

Morning

IMG_2607_zpswqbmxr9q.jpg

Night

night2_zpsjh2q6dsb.jpg

Others

etc2_zpsyahpx37o.jpg

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Kaze

@@Kaze You're right you won't be able to drink much at first but in your case you won't have a choice after awhile you will have to drink the Water wether it's uncomfortable for you or not. It will be a constant reminder for you. Also you will have to take those pills. I don't think it will be a problem. I was taking pills after. I being a dialysis nurse do not want to see you have to be back on/on dialysis so if you go through with surgery just know it may or may not be a little more rough for you but you have no choice. I can promise you skinny is NO match for being dialysis free. If you want them both you're going to have to manage it.

I'd really encourage you to talk with your surgeon about this and have your surgeon check in with your transplant team, as well.

I'd really encourage you to talk with your surgeon about this and have your surgeon check in with your transplant team, as well.

My transplant team is pediatric and at a different hospital. My surgeon doesn't think I'll have a problem but I just would like some experience from people who have had the procedure and what their tolerances are.

I am on quite a few meds for heart failure, plus prior to surgery insulin and meds for Diabetes. Luckily I have eliminated the insulin and diabetic meds (Metformin and Glyburide) since surgery. As for the drinking, I could not take much more than small sips for the first few days. I was used to getting all my pills out and downing them all together with a big gulp of Water. I made that mistake one time, was not a good feeling. Now it takes me a few minutes to get them all down. In the hospital they ground down some of the meds (though this can not be done with the extended release meds), though this was only for the first couple of days. Everyone seems to be on a different time frame but about 5 days post op I could drink normally.

For me, I didn't have any trouble taking my meds with a little Water right after surgery.

Sipping was difficult at first. Plain Water was the most difficult to drink but other fluids were easier. It may be a challenge, but if you sip constantly you can get it all in.

Definitely talk to your surgeon, though. For me all fluids counted towards my Fluid total. So I counted my Protein supplements toward my Fluid total. You may need to mix Protein with your required fluids in order to get everything in.

ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, Syntrax nectar, and Premier Protein were very helpful early out.

Hi there! I take a lot of supplements for just general good health, along with my muliti and Calcium that are required now. the picture is what I take regularly. minus my BP pill which I take first thing in the am, and is not in my pill case.

some I had to go off for the surgery it's self but I was able to take all of them by 1 week post op. I didn't have any trouble with them post sleeve. The salmon oil I take for my ADD, and my family reports much chaos if I stop :D but I know these are not as serious as your meds, but I worked with my team to discuss why I take each, when I could go off them pre surgery, what I didn't need to go off, and also the plan for me to resume each medication.

The only concern would be the volume of fluids you have to take - and I think you're just going to find you are drinking all the time. This week I had to do a gallon in half a day for a colonoscopy prep. I did not make it through the whole gallon and I stayed up ALL night drinking. I was pushing fluids in constantly. thankfully I got enough in to get cleaned out. So, I think it would be important to your team to have a close eye on your fluids, and a back up plan for if you fall behind. you may possibly need IV hydration from time to time? but I know that if they can work with you having the sleeve could be a very big positive in your life!

post-286331-0-14779100-1466087162_thumb.jpg

Hi there! I take a lot of supplements for just general good health, along with my muliti and Calcium that are required now. the picture is what I take regularly. minus my BP pill which I take first thing in the am, and is not in my pill case.

some I had to go off for the surgery it's self but I was able to take all of them by 1 week post op. I didn't have any trouble with them post sleeve. The salmon oil I take for my ADD, and my family reports much chaos if I stop :D but I know these are not as serious as your meds, but I worked with my team to discuss why I take each, when I could go off them pre surgery, what I didn't need to go off, and also the plan for me to resume each medication.

The only concern would be the volume of fluids you have to take - and I think you're just going to find you are drinking all the time. This week I had to do a gallon in half a day for a colonoscopy prep. I did not make it through the whole gallon and I stayed up ALL night drinking. I was pushing fluids in constantly. thankfully I got enough in to get cleaned out. So, I think it would be important to your team to have a close eye on your fluids, and a back up plan for if you fall behind. you may possibly need IV hydration from time to time? but I know that if they can work with you having the sleeve could be a very big positive in your life!

Thank you for the response! It looks like you take more than I do! Good news is I found I can eliminate quite a few of my meds that are just Vitamins (riboflavin and mag oxide) because they're in the multi. I also hope I can off or significantly reduce Metformin not long after surgery.

I agree that it will be a chore for me to get my Water in. Like I said, the recommended from my surgeon is 64oz and from my transplant team is 118-136oz. I think if I split it down and get 100oz in ideally, that'd be fine enough. That's about 80% of a gallon...do you think that's reasonably achievable?

I guess if I just drink more than the half gallon (64oz) I'm probably better off than I am now because I don't get the full 136oz now half the time...I'm a "catch up" drinker.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you're permitted by your medical team, some pills can be crushed and mixed with applesauce or yogurt and ingested that way. My Dr has recommended that. From what I've been told you cannot crush extended release pills, you'd have to opt for the regular version of that medication.

@@Kaze they took me off Metformin 3 days before my surgery and to my giddy delight I did not have to go back on it! I hope the same things happens for you. I had such trouble with that medication.

@@Christinamo7 OMG I know! Metformin kicks my bowels' ass! I had to demand being put on Metformin ER to alleviate it but I STILL have bowel problems. I'm supposed to be on Lantus and novoLOG as well but I stopped those to experiment and my A1C was 5.9 so I'd say it's safe to assume my diabetes is well controlled, I don't need insulin, and perhaps I can hopefully get off Metformin pretty quickly. I need to call my Endocrinologist.

I hope so too! I was only on Metformin. I needed insulin twice in the hospital (that is totally normal with this surgery) but I went home on no diabetes medication and then at 3 months my A1c was normal and I am not considered a diabetic anymore. it was the main reason I had surgery and I am so thrilled.

wishing you all the best, and please let us know how you do with this post op.

Semi update: Called my transplant doc and they're going to put me on liquid immunosuppressants for the time being! I should have no concerns now.

@@Christinamo7 I will! And thank you!