Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stricture (late VSG complication)!

Hi guys

I posted a while ago that I can't tolerate solid food like I used to few days ago so I went online to read about it and guess what?? It might be strictures which are more common complications than I was expected!!

It starts 1-3 months after surgery when we can no longer tolerate solid food anymore so we need to see the doctor for it then depend on the upper GI series the doctor will decide if he is going to use the endoscopy to dilate the stricture and for how many time we need it!!

Is there anyone here or heard about anyone who had that to talk about his or her experience please??

I am sooooo scared.

Thank you.

I have a mild stricture. It started at about a year out and I haven't felt the need to get it fixed. I can't eat certain foods or really dense, dry Protein or I puke it right back up almost immediately.

If you're going to get a complication, this is probably the one to get. Using an endoscope to dilate a stricture is really straightforward, doesn't hurt at all, and you're usually good to go afterward. They only sedate you a bit so that your gag reflex doesn't prevent them from actually getting the scope down your throat. If this is your problem, it's an easy fix and probably covered by your insurance.

I had a couple of strictures about 2½ weeks after my re-sleeve & conversion to a single-anastomosis duodenal switch (SIPS) which were dilated with a balloon via endoscopy. All has been fine since. The endoscopy was no different than the one you probably had during your pre-op work up.

Why do they take so long to develop? Seems like it would be there from the get go...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had swelling in my esophagus the day after surgery that creates a stricture. It was easily treated with steroids. I have heard of a few people who need a procedure well after surgery to open up a stricture later. Not a major complication, and it sounds like it is easily fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have a mild stricture. It started at about a year out and I haven't felt the need to get it fixed. I can't eat certain foods or really dense, dry Protein or I puke it right back up almost immediately.

If you're going to get a complication, this is probably the one to get. Using an endoscope to dilate a stricture is really straightforward, doesn't hurt at all, and you're usually good to go afterward. They only sedate you a bit so that your gag reflex doesn't prevent them from actually getting the scope down your throat. If this is your problem, it's an easy fix and probably covered by your insurance.

Same, but I noticed mine immediately upon starting soft foods. Too much food too fast? Vomit. Don't chew thoroughly? Vomit. One bite too many? Vomit.

I'm keeping mine. Keeps me honest.