Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What antibacterial soap did you/will you use the night before?

My hospital said Dial was good - not all Dial soaps have lotion. Look for the blue bottle

I had to shower normally, 2 hrs later shower with the hibiclens soap and not use any Shampoo, deodorant or anything after the second shower then I had to shower with the soap again the next morning. Luckily my surgeon gave me the soap.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My SO and sister have both had surgeries in the last few months and both had to use hibiclens. As my SO said - every where but his junk! I've had multiple surgeries over the last several years and never had to use anything special.

Not a preop recommendation out here in CA that I'm aware of.

Lol CA is a big state with lots of surgeons and lots of hospitals. My surgeon and hospital required it.

I work in surgery I do many different types of cases and if they are pre-scheduled surgeries my surgeons tell there patients to clean there whole body with hibiclens including there private areas because more than likely the patient will be getting a catheter put in. The nurses do clean your private area with a hibiclens type soap before inserting it, so basically it's just an extra precaution to help prevent any infections

It just doesn't make any sense. OK, you bathe with Hibiclens. Then you get dressed to go to the hospital. Then you get dressed in a hospital gown once you get there. All the bacteria you may have washed off is now redeposited on your body.

You gargle with Listerine. And report to the hospital two hours or more before your procedure. During that time you breathe, talk, produce saliva - and replenish the bacteria that normally live in your mouth.

I used Hibiclens it was "given" to me during my pre-op testing at the hospital.....well I use the word "given" very loosely!.....I'm sure there is a several thousand dollar charge on my hospital bill somewhere for it...LOL

It just doesn't make any sense. OK, you bathe with Hibiclens. Then you get dressed to go to the hospital. Then you get dressed in a hospital gown once you get there. All the bacteria you may have washed off is now redeposited on your body.

You gargle with Listerine. And report to the hospital two hours or more before your procedure. During that time you breathe, talk, produce saliva - and replenish the bacteria that normally live in your mouth.

Not all the bacteria has time to regrow. You go in with a lot less than you would have if you didn't follow the pre-op instructions.

Just have faith that your surgeon has a reason to ask you to do something: to give you the best chance of a healthy, complication free recovery.

Surgeon's office gave me a bottle.

I agree somewhat.....I've had several surgeries in the past and this was never a requirement until now......However, I just saw it as a precautionary process....Maybe it doesn't help.....but then again maybe it does, so why not! So I did as directed and bathed with the magic potion the night before and the again the morning of....and I've healed perfectly!....is it because of my bathing with this soap?....who knows! :)

"Just have faith that your surgeon has a reason to ask you to do something: to give you the best chance of a healthy, complication free recovery."

You mistake my meaning. I've been a licensed health care professional for more than thirty years. I DID trust my surgeon, and was given NO requirement to do any of this - no infections or anything dire occurred. There is a lot to be said about overuse of antibacterials, similar to overuse of antibiotics.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I agree somewhat.....I've had several surgeries in the past and this was never a requirement until now......However, I just saw it as a precautionary process....Maybe it doesn't help.....but then again maybe it does, so why not! So I did as directed and bathed with the magic potion the night before and the again the morning of....and I've healed perfectly!....is it because of my bathing with this soap?....who knows! :)

No, your reason for healing perfectly has nothing to do with your preop shower. There is nothing magic in any soap. If there were, there would be no postop infections, and everyone would need to use whatever the magic soap was.

It's a longstanding truth in the business that postop wound infections start in the OR.