Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you’re considering weight loss surgery or you’ve gotten it, you’ve gone through a lot. You’ve fought obesity for years. You may have had to bite your tongue when friends, family members, and even strangers have been unsupportive or even downright mean. You’ve worked hard at many diets, especially (if you’re a post-op patient) your pre-op and post-op diets. That’s all worth being proud of!

There are plenty of other things to be proud of, too. There are the milestones, like losing your first 50 lbs., getting under 300 or 200 lbs for the first time, or getting out of the “obese” BMI category and into the “overweight” or “normal weight” category. And there are may be other sources of pride, like seeing your face in a mirror and being happy with it for once.

So, what are you most proud of in your weight loss journey? For me, I think it has been my ability to maintain my weight loss without fixating on food. Instead, I am able to enjoy a fuller life.

I am most proud of my dedication to getting and staying fit. I was an overweight and asthmatic kid who grew up to be an obese, sedentary adult. Since surgery, I now live an active lifestyle, exercising at least three days a week, going for walks, hikes and bike rides with my family, never feeling limited by my body to do whatever I want.

Great post, Alex.

I am most proud of being able to "step back from the abyss", come "home" here to BP, and be strong enough to "move on" to continue my WLS journey which was so abruptly halted by John's suicide.

It took me four years of therapy, but I did it-- but not without the support of some new friends on BP.

My WLS may not have been totally joyful, but it is now 100% rewarding.

Prayers going up for all of us, Friends.

I'm proud of the new me because not only am I rocking a new healthier sexier body but my attitude has changed so much. I walk proudly and confidently into a room not feeling embarrassed about myself. I make eye contact with people and smile because I know they are looking at me and not judging me for my size.

I am proud of being brave enough to try something different. something not reversible. something even drastic to take a hold of my life and improve my health. I want to see my grandchildren grow up.

I'm MOST proud of the wonderful young women I'm raising and of all their accomplishments, intelligence, warm loving nature and ability to laugh at themselves. :D

Regarding weight loss surgery, I am most grateful for the opportunity it has given me to get healthy and enjoy my time with my family. We earned our first and second black belts together. We do mud runs together. We run the dunes, we paddle board and kayak, we lounge at the river and the beach, we spend all day at the mall and the museums.

I have no doubt that WLS has given me a second chance at life and for that, I am thankful.

I am most proud that I've taken action and will continue to take actions that better ensure I'm around to one day be a grandfather.....and an active one.

I can't wait.

I am most proud of myself for making healthy decisions to change unhealthy aspects of my life to help live a longer, healthier, happier life. Two years ago I quit smoking, after an almost 40 year habit, last September I made the decision to begin my journey to WLS, and did everything I was told to do. I'm proud that I've lost 38 lbs so far, and hope to reach my goal by the time one year rolls around. I'm proud of all the people who have answered questions and given support here on BP because it truly makes me feel so less alone in this journey.

I'm really proud of my whole family for supporting and loving me the way they do. I want to be around to become a grandma one day, and to be able to enjoy those grandkids.

I'm most proud of overcoming fear. I'm still afraid but I walk through it every day. I filed for divorce from an emotionally abusive husband. I moved my daughters and me out of that house. My WLS got me started on a healthier life. I'm proud to face life on life's terms without self medicating with food or alcohol or pills. This has all happened since my surgery. A part of me knew it would. I am proud to be on an honest path of self discovery and reclaiming my soul.

JustWatchMe

I am so excited to be nearing Onederland. (201.5) I haven't been there in absolutely years!

I am proud of myself for undertaking training for the Twin Cities Marathon. I ran 5.2 miles on Saturday! And the words, "It's only 3 miles" describing a workout actually came out of my mouth and I meant it! I have developed a unhappy butt muscle, but instead of letting it sideline me, I am working with my chiropractor and doing lots of stretching and it really didn't bother me on Saturday's run. I am approaching each new challenge with resolution and not defeat. That's new.

On a side note, I spent the weekend with most of my family and they just couldn't stop telling me how great I look! I could get used to those kinds of comments.

pam

I am proud of myself for taking the (very) big step in deciding to have WLS, and I'm proud of myself for following through.

I am grateful to my surgeon and the inventors of the lap band for designing a solution that actually WORKS. After so many failed diets and dangerous diet pills and drastic measures I took that just never did anything, I am happy I've found something that makes weight loss bearable. I've never lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off for more than a month. I'm 34 pounds down 6 months strong - a first for me. I've got much more to lose and I'm at a good restriction now so it will keep falling off.

Next milestone for me will be getting down to 273. That will be my lowest weight in the past 7 years. 10 pounds to go!

When your ex-wife (who used to openly mock me about getting the surgery)* says to a mutual friend, "dang if he had been that hot 5 years ago I would have never divorced him." That is a nice sideways compliment, but coming through this process I really realized just how toxic that relationship had gotten and how my health had declined. It has been a great journey getting back to healthy. And it is amazing how changing one area can lead to changes in another, I'm not perfect, but at least I'm on a better trajectory.

*NOTE, I would have never told her, but we still have minor children, so I felt having elective surgery in Mexico was a good reason to let her know.

Most proud? That's kinda tough for me...I'm proud that I'm more active now than ever before in my adult life; I'm proud that I haven't let setbacks derail me completely (slow me down, occasionally, yep, but I AIN'T QUITTING); I'm proud that I have a brighter future ahead of me and I'm chasing it with all I'm worth!

I'm proud that I now see myself differently - I have a much more positive attitude and outlook about ME - the physical me and all the strength I'm gaining with the emotional and psychological me. I'm also proud that I've been recognized as a role model - not in any television-special kind of way, but in the individuals who tell me I've inspired them by walking my walk.

I'm proud of so much, but I guess most especially I'm proud because I REFUSED to keep going down a road that was no longer serving me in any positive way! Kudos to all the posters and I want you all to know you inspire ME to keep pushing!