Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon since everyone has differebt plans. It's really not a good idea to have more than a couple of sips while you eat. That's what i do

I actually called my surgeon about this the other day... i had some silly questions like...

If i am having a high tea... can i drink tea and have a finger sandwich... or if i am choking or food is stuck.... can i drink to get it down or if a medication says take with food... can I drink to get it down etc

The answer from my surgeon was... yes... but only a small amount...

Basically they explained that i need to wait 30 mins prior and post and drinking won't kill me... but it will cause food to move through the sleeve too quickly.

So i would suggest you call your surgeon and see what their opinion is.

Some people can't drink while eating because it is uncomfortable. But in general, the rule is kind of leftover from the rules of bypass surgery. If you drink while eating, your food is flushed out of your stomach sooner, theoretically making you feeling hungry sooner than if you didn't drink while eating. The difference is bypass pouches have no pyloric valve to hold the food in and sleeves do.

But even if the liquid you drink while eating does cause food to pass out of your sleeve sooner, there really is no physical harm done. Your tummy may feel empty sooner, which, in theory, may cause you to eat more often. But in the end, what and how often you eat comes down to your mental choices. You don't have to let your sleeve dictate your eating habits. I actually felt no different whether I drank with meals or not, so it's not a rule I particularly follow.

At my son's graduation party last week, I absentmindedly took 2 drinks of Water, after I'd eaten my 2 oz of chicken, and I almost immediately had a tightening in my chest and threw up foamy watery stuff.

My dr rules say the same: drink 30 mins before or after but not during. I have had to take 2 sips to help get chicken down before, but they were little more than the amount of saliva -- lol -- so I had no problem.

Thanks for the replies! I see me NUT on 6/13, so I'll definitely check with her, too!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If I don't stop drinking at least 20 minutes before I eat, I am still kinda full from the liquid and don't eat that much at my meal. Which, in turn, makes me hungry again faster. So I've learned to stop filling up on Water before I eat in order to get as much of my Protein in before I'm full.

Sometimes if I am eating something very spicy or well seasoned I'll NEED to take a drink of Water. I would imagine that there's no way I can drink two full glasses with my meals like I used to, but I do take sips if I need to. Generally I am fine if I stop drinking 5 minutes before I eat. When I drink with meals, I get full too fast and very uncomfortable, so I try not to.

Others have said not to drink with meals because if flushes the food out faster, causing you to eat more. This could be true also!! I've seen many videos on YouTube about this being the case.

I actually called my surgeon about this the other day... i had some silly questions like...

If i am having a high tea... can i drink tea and have a finger sandwich... or if i am choking or food is stuck.... can i drink to get it down or if a medication says take with food... can I drink to get it down etc

The answer from my surgeon was... yes... but only a small amount...

Basically they explained that i need to wait 30 mins prior and post and drinking won't kill me... but it will cause food to move through the sleeve too quickly.

So i would suggest you call your surgeon and see what their opinion is.

I already know there will be times when I get to maintenance when I will have tea with food at high tea - and wine with an Italian meal or holiday meal. this will be the exception rather than the rule for me, but these rituals are important to the lifestyle I want to lead. *provided I do ok with wine when I get to that point. :D

Even now there are a few supplements that I take which do better with food. I eat a bite or two, swallow my pill with my drink, and go back to eating. occasionally something is too dry or spicy and I need a sip. but this amounts to a very small amount of liquid. I would not feel real good if I just drank with a meal like I used to do. and then usually I wait half an hour to start drinking again, but sometimes it is an hour before I feel ready to drink more.

this is my experience, and plan that I worked out with my team. not drinking with meals has turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Some people can't drink while eating because it is uncomfortable. But in general, the rule is kind of leftover from the rules of bypass surgery. If you drink while eating, your food is flushed out of your stomach sooner, theoretically making you feeling hungry sooner than if you didn't drink while eating. The difference is bypass pouches have no pyloric valve to hold the food in and sleeves do.

But even if the liquid you drink while eating does cause food to pass out of your sleeve sooner, there really is no physical harm done. Your tummy may feel empty sooner, which, in theory, may cause you to eat more often. But in the end, what and how often you eat comes down to your mental choices. You don't have to let your sleeve dictate your eating habits. I actually felt no different whether I drank with meals or not, so it's not a rule I particularly follow.

most excellent explanation, Kindle.