Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizzy spells, room spinning & weight loss

Checking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I had it once before (dizzy spells and the room spinning) but it's back again. I've been dealing with it for about 2 weeks now. I'm not dehydrated or deficient on any of my vitamins/proteins. I went to my PcP today to be evaluated. She's treating me for inner ear issue but there is no way of knowing for sure that's what's causing it. She's not specialized in bariatrics so before I call my surgeon, I thought I'd check with the real experts Does rapid weight loss cause this? Has anyone dealt with it? To have this happen twice since surgery in itself is odd. Coincidence? Maybe but I wanted to throw this out there.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Might want to check your Blood Sugar. What you describe sounds a lot like what I experience when mine gets too low (hypoglycemic). Break out in a sweat here and then the vision goes tunnel, dizzy, like I am about to pass out. If you know someone with a test kit, might be worth testing for you. If mine drops below 60, I will start feeling it.

Next time you start having a episode, try drinking some orange juice. The juice will spike my blood sugar fast and clear up the majority of the symptoms. I also keep some Glucose Tabs around the house and in the vehicle in case needed (they are just flavored sugar wafers that dissolves in the mouth.

My last fasting A1C 5.8, glucose was 89 but I'll check it at home when this happens. I didn't even think about sugar!

The closest thing I've felt to anything like that was when my blood pressure dropped crazy low and my pulse rate went haywire.

Cold sweat, dizzy, weak, exhausted.......bizarre.

Scared the crap out of me. Called a buddy who is a paramedic and he felt it may be low blood sugar, too. I ate something and focused on getting well hydrated after that. Began feeling better a couple hours later and the blood pressure came back up into low-normal range by the evening.

Cut my blood pressure meds in half the next day.....hoping to get off them altogether very soon.

You are doing the right thing by staying on top of this with your doctor. Sudden weight loss probably will affect many of us....and in different ways.

Was diabetic here (Insulin, Metformin, Glyburide), prior to surgery. Have been off the insulin since day before surgery and stopped the rest 4 days later. After surgery I kept testing in the low 60's. Since stopping the meds, I have been ranging between 90-115. I did have hypoglycemic episodes prior to surgery but knock on wood, have been doing a lot better.

Dub is right the low blood pressure will give the same symptoms also.

She has taken me off 2 of my Pb meds. I'm still on 2. So it's possible I'm having drops.

I had started adding G2 this week thinking I was dehydrated or low on electrolytes. It hasn't helped.

Vertigo is a possibility, if it doesn't clear up she's sending me to a PT for treatment. If that doesn't help onto a ENT I go.

This definitely sucks!!

@@KristenLe

Yes, my surgeon tested me for all of the Vitamins. My NUT made sure that I was taking a multi with Magnesium to help with Calcium absorption.

@@cindyw41, I know nothing about the others' mention of blood sugar, et al., but certainly check those out

If you really do mean that the room is spinning, i.e., you feel pinned on a fast carousel, talk to the PCT about seeing an ENT (a.k.a. otolaryngologist). The latter may refer you for VNG and "rotational something-or-other." Sorry, I don't remember the full names, but they are audiology tests to detect inner ear problems. An evaluation by a PT/Vestibular Rehab Therapist can also help detect the presence of BPPV, for which you'd be taught Epley Maneuver. The ENT or your PCP can refer you. I say all this not knowing how your PCP is 'treating' you for a possible inner ear problem.

In the meantime, keep your eyes open. Closing them exacerbates the miserable sensations.

(P.S. I was still typing when you posted two up.)

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

At this time she gave me anti nausea medicine and a nasal spray to help open up the sinus passages.