Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have reciently decided to explore the option of Lap Band in helping me loose over 100 lbs. I have an orientation seminar next month. I have met people who have gone through bypass surgery, they state that you cannot have carbonation. Stating it "stretches" your stomach. If I have Lap Band, will I ever be able to enjoy another beer? Will I have to give up my addiction to diet soda? I love caffeine and need it quite often. Can I drink my morning coffee? Help. I am trying to cut down on the caffeine intake now to see if it is possible to give it up forever.

I've lost 65.5 lbs and I have a cup of coffee every morning, it seems to loosen my band. I also have a diet pepsi once in awhile, I just drink it very slow. I don't drink beer so I can't answer that question. I do know everyone is different, just because I've had no problems doesn't mean you won't. Just be cautious. Best of luck.

No! Dont drink any carbonated products! Doctors believe (dont think its proven yet) that it stretches your new stomach!!! If you need the taste, leave them out till they are flat. You wouldnt want to risk your surgery would you?

But I have no problems with champagne or beer, depending on the time of day...........It seems to be that everyone is different on here........I was devsted at not drinking beer/wine or being able to guzzle but no probs for me, maybe I am one of the luckier ones

Good Luck

Amourette

Hey i used to live in Delaware :D

Ok on to the Soda. Let me tell you, i was a diet soda addict! I used to drink up to 10 diet sodas a day. Back 6 months ago i decedied to go for lapband and i gave up soda right away so i knew it would be one less thing i would have to deal with when the time came.

It was not easy! It seems USA is geared towards eveyone drinking soda all the time. Just look around in a resturant! It was hard for me for about a month or two.

When i got close to surgery (about 6 months later) i limited myself to diet clear sodas as i knew soon i would not be able to drink them again. The fact that i knew i could kick them was a good help for me.

After the surgery i really have no desire to even drink them anymore.

As for beer- lucky for me i was never a big beer drinker, maybe 12 beers a month in the summer months and less in the winter. If a doc told me i could never drink achol again it wouldnt really even be an issue for me so i cant help you there.

Think about it, read the ingrediants on a can of soda. Its pretty much just a big chemical mixture. Now there is no way a chemical mixture drink can be good for you. I really think soda does more damage to your body than we realise.

I was addicted to diet Coke and did not think I could do without it. I was wrong. I always have diet flavored ice tea, Sobe Lean, Crystal Light and flavored bottle waters. I do drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee at work depending on how tired I am.

You are in this for the long haul so you don't have to haul those extra lbs around. It is a small thing to give up to get the new and improved you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

weight.png

dotterp. you know, I never thought about weighing less and having more energy. it seems so long ago when I had energy. being heavy can really make you tired quickly.

Last night I went out in Ocean City, MD to a club with friends. Had a few drinks and got in about 3 am. WOW was it cranky without caffeine this morning! I still feel like I need it. But I have only drank Water. I am praying that this withdraw will soon go away and I will no longer need caffeine and diet soda. I miss diet red bull too.

I am a huge diet coke addict myself. When I decided to have the surgery I gave it up to see if I could do it. I did it for about 3 weeks and then decided that I might as well let myself drink it until the surgery. I proved to myself I could stop. I have to admit I actually got depressed during those 3 weeks. I missed the "happy bubbles" and whatever kick diet coke gives. (and it wasn't the caffeine cause I substituted coffee). I think it will get easier as time goes on and trading diet coke for weight loss is a no brainer for me. (but it is still hard)

I was a Diet Coke addict morning noon and night. I didn't try to give it up until the day of surgery, and then I did it without a glitch. I think so much changes the day of surgery that it's hard to even notice just one more thing. I also decided I didn't want to replace it with other artificially sweetened things, since they raise blood sugar just like sugar does, and I didn't want to end up with cravings. So I became an avid Water drinker. I'm not kidding---I think the key for me was doing at as of the moment I was banded so it just went along with al the other changes....

I was told that gas bubbles might reek havoc on me if I drink carbonated beverages. "Terminal gas pains" in the chest and shoulder area. A nice bit of news was that I can still drink a cup of Joe w/ milk and count the milk as a Protein after being banded.

One month to go!

Darr

My doctor says absolutely no soda after surgery. We aren't suppose to be drinking before surgery either to help with after cravings. She stated that it could make you sick and could cause pain and discomfort from gas because the pouch is so small and there is no release except for up. The side effects later on can stretch the pouch and eventually reverse your fill. It seems that everyone tries their own thing eventually and tries what they want and it works for some and not others. I would strictly follow what doc says for your better benefit. Everyone can cheat but you are only hurting yourself in the long run. I am too addicted to diet soda so this is a difficult change but I am not going to do surgery and allow a sode to ruin it for me. I am also a big bread fan and supposedly you can't have that either because it expands and can reverse things or make you feel sick. Go with your best instincts, you'll know for yourself what you can handle or not. Good Luck!

Dr. Curry who is world reknown says that after 3 months of healing they are fine. He says that it is not proven anywhere that it stretches your stoma. He has records to prove it. I was a heavy reg. coke drinker before surgery and didn't try any for the first 6 months. I now have one about once a week about a half a can jsut for the taste and have had no problems. Had a yearly checkup 2 weeks ago and everything is great. Lost 80 pounds first 12 months.

I think it is just different surgeon's opinions and I would go by whatever your doc tells you to do. My surgeon in Mexico, Dr. Sanchez's Physician's asst. was banded 5 years ago and has one coke every day and has been at goal for 4 years and weighs 102 pounds.

My doctor says to drink carbonation if it makes you happy. He says there is no evidence it has any negative side effects for a lapband patient, but that it can be painful for a gastric bypass patient. I drink a diet mountain dew every now and then for the caffeine if I am tired at work (I don't like coffee or tea) and I never have any trouble.:car:

My doc said just to go slow. I've pretty much given up on soda, I was never a huge fan of it anyways, but I do drink about 2 beers a week and I just sip it slower now. The only problem that I've had with it is it gives me the burps! Maybe not a problem if one was entereing a burping contest?